£8,000 per week..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Whitey, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Never said it was true but I bet they're not particularly far off, especially O'Grady.

Not giving one man any shoe either, we all know it's not a one man operation down there.

2. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't know anything about wages. And anyway, there's ways and means of paying a player other than baseline salary.

3. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My 'understanding' is that in the Prem season our top earner (Tinkler) was on 8K a week. Redders was on less, which was one reason we lost our greatest player. I suppose that with inflation, and the passage of time in between, it's possible we could have had top earners approaching 6-8K in recent seasons. Sadly, they were less deserving.

On another note, it was indicated reliably to me that our failure to up Danny's wage from 150K pa to the 170K Wednesday were offering was the major factor in our losing him.

Despite the flack he's been getting on here, I think Ben is well-placed to get these matters into some sort of better balance.

4. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're right, we don't. But I imagine the wage figure you mentioned for year ending '13 jumped significantly with the 'assurances' well talked about here.

I think it's absolutely fair to assume that the three mentioned yesterday are our higher earners. All signed contracts whilst investment was flowing (relatively), at a time when everyone was giddy. I just hope our Board weren't as giddy as folk on here. I'd also expect them figures quoted would come down on relegation. Or at least hope so.

5. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Remember 16 extra staff were taken on in the 'football' side of things.

In my opinion this current situation is the end result of going year to year in running a club, rather than looking 3,5,10 years hence.

And also in my opinion we need to give it 3-5 years before judging Mansford and the other new commercial folk.

6. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. But just like we question Danny's signings/tactics etc, we can question this type of stuff as and when it comes along.

Got to say, it looks as though the Commercial side is starting to get it's act together in terms of pushing Oakwell etc.

7. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tactics etc we see, we all have our take - players contracts etc are mainly gossip.

Didn't realise we had conference facilities at Oakwell. Not fkin rocket science really is it...

8. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    any player who started the relegation season on a 3 year or more contract doesn't count

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thing is, we don't, do we? Plenty of people do, but you don't and Extremely Northern doesn't and I don't and there's a lot more that don't.

Why don't we? Well, we looked at the squad and thought, "Our manager is ******, it doesn't matter who we play or in what formation, we're absolutely knackered because the squad is *****. And it's not his squad, he's having to do this on the **** someone else has put together."

I've no doubt we'll ask questions in the future, but we decided to cut him some slack because the mess we were in was not Danny Wilson's fault. You know that perfectly well and have said it hundreds of times.

Same applies to Ben Mansford really. He's had a year, which is nowhere near long enough to sort out the mess we were in. I thought you would have offered him the same sort of room that you have allowed Wilson. I know he says some daft management speak stuff, and it can be funny, but he's the most open and honest club representative we've had since, probably ever. It's all lathered in fancy words, but if you scrape that away he plays with a straight bat. He'll not get everything right, but he's trying, and more than that, he's keeping us informed.

10. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it's a little bit different. Ben came in and made some pretty grand promises in terms of negotiating better, doing things differently etc etc. Danny never did that. Ben also came in at a time when we were building, when we were seemingly willing to support some off field work & give the CEO the opportunity to spend a bit of cash and loosened the limits that Don was working under. Danny came in at a time we were absolutely f.cked

Now EN is absolutely right - I've no facts to go and say 'we shouldn't have spent £8k on O'Grady' & comparing to Wilson is a little off but I still think (and I reserve this right with Danny) that we can and should scrutinise what's going on.

Maybe I'm a little sceptical about him because he did promise things 12 months ago and up to now I've not really seen any of it come to fruition? Or that I don't quite believe what you're saying about a straight bat is correct? I know he's new to the job. I know he speaks very well. I know he'll make mistakes and as I mentioned to EN the Commercial stuff is getting better. I also know he's one man out of four making decisions but just like Don, he's the face and will take the credit and stick if necessary.

11. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've no idea what the players earn like everybody else but because we kept a tight ship under D.Rowing and the clubs finances are pretty good for a relegated team I would have a guess that O'Grady and Craine would be on 3 to 4 k a week (Championship average wage) and Kennedy on 2k.

12. mat

matthewWAB New Member

The figures re Tinkler are wrong. In the Premiership we weren't paying anyone more than £6k. Also, Wilson was on £250k a year at Barnsley. Wednesday offered him £500k - we were never going to compete.

My source: John Dennis - it's in his book so I'm not betraying any trust.

As for today's figures, I've heard it said repeatedly that COG is on £8-9k a week. If true, that'd make him the highest paid player in the club's history. Can understand why the club wants/needs to move him on if so.

13. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only wage I can remember seeing int pappers/print was Steele when we were held over a barrel for that Liverpool game it stated £5,000 a week, he`s had a contract or 2 since then when wages have been getting stupid but his last one he had to take a cut. That sarnds abart reight YT.

All the others aint got the foggiest.

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Only wage I've ever known was Mike Sheron's. He was on 10 grand a week. Not at Barnsley, but at QPR. I know this because the chairman who had recently taken over QPR was on Radio 5 Live talking about the mess the club were in and what he had to do to get things back on track. He said that players of limited ability were on obscene wages, that Mike Sheron was on 10 grand a week and they had to get rid. This wasn't long after we'd bought him. He could have been lying I suppose, but I couldn't think of a reason why he would. Well, he obviously wanted to make the last lot look bad, to prove that it wasn't his fault, but he was very specific about Sheron's contract.

Sheron's contract wasn't running out, he didn't have leave, he didn't have to take a pay cut. However, we offered him a 5 year contract, so I would imagine he was open to a weekly drop in wages when his future was secure for so long. I wonder by how much? I bet we made him a millionaire and then some.

15. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    O'Grady signed for league One Sheff.Wed.from Rochdale then on to Barnsley,I don't see how he could command figures like that.

16. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think you'd be wrong thinking the average Championship player is on £3/4K a week. I'd suggest it's more than that, especially when you have Zidic at Birmingham still on £50,000 a week. Imagine what the lads at QPR, Fulham and Cardiff are on.

17. Whi

Whitey Guest

You might want to go check the wage bill at Wednesday for the last year that COG was there. Even in League One, their wage bill dwarfed ours substantially.

18. Whi

Whitey Guest

Closer to £10,000 p/w I would imagine.

19. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

That's what I was thinking.

Imagine what McCormack will be on now.

£20,000+?

20. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I read somewhere 4k was the average Championship wage.So for everybody on 20k plus they'll be loads on 2to 4 k.If players are playing lower league football for £800 they'd jump at the chance to double there wages in the Championship.I'm sure it was revealed in the press that McNulties second contract at Oakwell was £1600 a week,and no matter what you thought of his ability that was a Championship wage.