⚽️⚽️Fan Engagement Forum Notes 06 Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Cam

Cambridge Red Well-Known Member

Geek
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks Gally, very enlightening (and positive). Appreciate your effort.

Gally likes this.
  2. Dep

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    yes great stuff, did you use a app or software to help you print that up. Evernote ?
    if not your fingers must be sore !
    need a day off to read it properly

Couple of points didn't they understand the question or i did they and chose to answer it differently when they were asked there motivation why did they buy the club.
    Maybe its me but i thought the point was " Why " did you buy the club not what motivated them to buy the club.
    Two very different things.
    secondly were people allowed to ask questions on the fly or did they have put them in days before,,
    No journalist worth his salt would agree to a interview where he or she had to send them the questions prior to the interview for obvious reasons.
    Its perfectly possible to put a positive or negative spin on anything that happens or has happened, given time to prepare answers
    The Nice owner said everything they told him was a lie ,what was going to happen didn't and what wasn't going to happen did,but then maybe hes not telling the truth though it doesn't look like it based on what has happened there.
    Under no conditions should the council sell them there 50 % of the ground and land, if they want to work with them on projects involving the ground and land fine.
    i don't believe the council will sell them it anyway to be honest it would be madness.

a quick read of those notes would make them the most perfect owners in the history of football
    is that a sarcastic comment ?
    we will soon see.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The one distinct difference between BFC and Nice to me seems to be that here they said from day one will not go mad, sustainable and progressive, whereas at Nice the previous seems to think they promised much more than this, perhaps they did only they know that, equally perhaps having Nice first taught them a few things which made them alter the approach towards us.
    In terms of journalism it’s more common than you think for journalists to have to submit questions in advance in places like America and East.

4. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks Gally, very much appreciated. Looking ahead, it all sounds really positive. Just the small matter of promotion to sort out now ;)

PS Good thing I proofread my posts, cos my predictive text thinks Gally should be called Belly! :)

5. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks very much for all that. A good read.

Gally likes this.
  6. Dep

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks Ik322.

Personally i would have liked Paul Conway to stand up and say something like

We bought Barnsley Fc because we thought it was a very good business opportunity ,done the right way it can be beneficial to us and the fans alike.
    In the process of us making a good return for our investors it will at the same time have the equal effect on the club in the Re/Building of the infrastructure ,renovations, improving the ground and facility's and also better players and staff
    When we leave the club it will be in a much stronger position in every way ,financially, to compete , better facility's and be on a stronger footing than when we first arrived here.

lk311 likes this.
  7. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks Gally for the write up.

Thought the answer re scoreboard and perimeter advertising one would improve the fan experience and the other would improve the commercial revenue. Clearly the answer shows that one is more important than the other.

Time will tell I guess.

Spectemur Agendo.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    SuperTyke likes this.
  8. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Do you know, I think I'm more excited and optimistic for the future than if they came out and revealed they are spunking £500m on players.

Their outlook and strategy os how a proper football club should be ran in 2019. Investment in youth as facilities and year on year financial growth should (in theory) lead to a much more successful and stable club. It's good that is sounds like they are keeping more than one strategy on the table too(with the possibility of implementing some Nice players upon promotion too).

9. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    FirstlyFthankyou very much gally for your effort. Gone above and beyond as usual.
    Worryingly it sounds to me like a lot of talking there from the club and very little in the way of actual answers.

Why did you buy the club? Totally not answered.
    All the money goes back into the club. That maybe true but that was in direct response to being asked if loans had to be repaid. It never said that the money would STAY in the club. It clarified loans weren't to be repaid but didn't say anything about taking profit back out again in huge dividends

Five year plan wasn't answered. It simply said when you cut through the waffle that the plan is to get promoted and do well. I should hope to get promoted is a 4 month plan not a 5 year plan.

Is Daniel on a contract to keep him here? Completely not answered which is worrying. All the answer said is 'we like Daniel'. I like Taylor swift but I've not got her on a contract to live with me.

Rob zuk thinks that the stadium has improved while he's been here? Where? I hope he doesn't mean the lottery funded heritage project or the volunteer painted mural in the ponty end. Other than that where's the REAL improvements? What has been the REAL improvement in fan experience?

The question regarding buying the ground back wasn't answered. If there was a clear option to buy it back as they previously claimed how is it now complicated? Why hasn't this been properly answered? Is it because the option to buy back was no more than the way I, you and every person on the planet technically has the option to buy the ground if we make a big enough offer?

Any planned ground changes?
    Lots of talking but no actual answer as they won't answer why they haven't bought the land.

Plans to move the offices?
    Lots of talking but no actual answer as they won't answer why they haven't bought the land.

Will we ever sign an experienced player?
    The answer seems bizarrely to be that our players have played at a high level when we buy them. FC United of Manchester? What? Which of our signings have actually played at a high level because im really struggling to think of any.

Can we recall miller back from Bradford?
    Totally not answered.

Can Daniel sign players not identified by the data?
    Not answered at all. It says bahre is here because of Daniel. If we had approached him without Daniel he would say no. So Daniel is a good reason for German players to say yes. Fine but the question asked wasn't 'does Daniel being German help you attract players identified from Dara who happen to be german' was it?

Can we have a bigger scoreboard?
    Rob zuk is the only one who gives an answer. Financially they don't want to. The rest of the answers totally contradict the previous claims about improving fan experience. Now the owners claim that we should just be looking at the pitch and that is the only experience we need.

Can the owners keep fans updated via official channels?
    Weirdest answer of the night. It's unprofessional to use the official site but professional to put arms round fans at away games? In what world does that make sense?
    Nobody has ever asked for confidential information being leaked all we want is some communication about where the club is. Nothing said in the meeting would harm our chances of signing a player so why isn't it on the official site? Still not answered at all properly.
    Al thinks the owners talk a lot but fans don't listen. When? When the chuff has this happened?

The whole meeting seems like a hell of a lot of waffle with very little actually told. Of course some of the easier questions were answered properly but the key ones were really really not and what's worse is they knew what the questions meant, they had them in advance and they still avoided answering. Why?

Jimmy viz and Menai Tyke like this.
  10. wom

wombwell-red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1.For me he could’ve also meant the gym which they love talking about has been improved massively. But other then that the only ones I can see is the project in the east stand concourse, the painting of East stand upper and the ponty end murals.

2. I think he meant more that they’ve played a good amount of games at a professional level even if it’s league two (and then he gave Hourihane as an example which for me is an excellent one) I also think he meant more Green rather then the lad from FC United of Manchester hence why one is in the first team squad and the other is in the u23s

3. I thought this was answered quite clearly. We tried to renegotiate the loan terms and failed so we cannot recall Miller from Bradford.

11. hop

hopster04_02 Member

A point on the nice issue that keeps popping up, they seemed to initially bring some big names in,Balotelli and Sneijder. Whilst talented Balotelli comes with baggage and unpredictability plus before he left in January he hadnt scored this season.

Sneijder was a great player 10 years ago but managed 5 games for Nice i imagine both were on silly wages and that model was likely quickly realised to be unsustainable and in the case of Sneijder a very poor return on investment.

Seeing the lesser name younger players contributing more and then being able to sell on for a big profit (plea and seri went for nearly 50 million) to then reinvest will make better business sense to the owners but probably seems to their fans and previous owner that they were sold a lie from that initial transfer policy.

We cant just magic and account for spending big money and creating a huge wage bill we have a pretty standard attendance of between 10,000-13,000 home fans. In order to get up the food chain we need to make a profit on players and reinvest and im sure these owners and management will make that work.

We've had so many years of taking the first offer that comes along its likely made alot of us cynical on transfers but the key difference now is that we dont need to sell to survive but we will need to sell to progress as backwards as that sounds. It will be the only way at the moment to improve.

If these owners are able to utilise their experience and sell the club into china, america, india then that revenue in time could well stop the need to sell which is an exciting thought.

Metatarsal, Marlon and Gally like this.
  12. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I think you are being unnecessarily critical with some of these comments.

On the stadium and fan experience, there have undoubtedly been improvements in that time. You can't deny that.
    -Improvements to the concourses in the Ponte and the north stand. The club/community had to go and get that funding to do it. They had to go and get Ben Mosely to spend his summer at the club (as well as materials etc)
    - Redfearn's Bar
    - Family stand
    - Gym and training facilities
    - Exec floor
    He did caveat it all with we have just started really.

They are trying to buy it back. Its still very much part of their plan. Their negotiating strategy or issues is really not relevant to us. I don't think its fair for them tell us every single little detail as it's not really relevant.

Apart from the accommodation for the academy players on site, the sports bar open all year round and the fan zone you mean?

You've either misunderstood or I have misrepresented what was said. The point was they don't measure experience purely as age but rather games played at a high level. Conor was given as an example they weren't taking about all our signings. They also said there is no upper age limit on signings.

Again you've either misunderstood or I haven't explained properly. There is categorically no recall on Miller. Middlesborough unusually didn't include a recall. We signed him early in the windows as no 1 target and Gauthier spent until the last hours of the window trying to do a deal with Bradford for them to release him. He's not coming back until next season.
    [/quote]

Again the impression given was that he can.

He was joking that's what the smiley face is there for! We've talked about the business case for the scoreboard on Wednesday and previous fans forums (and on here). That's fine there is one but higher up the priority list is perimeter advertising. The plan is to grow revenue to spend the money on players and other activities to grow the business so like any business they have to prioritise. It does not follow that they do not want to do fan experience stuff because, guess what? that will also help them grow revenue.

It doesn't because that isn't what was said. He was talking about directors going off and having their own say rather than the staff front and centre of the business such as the CEO, Rob Zuck etc.

The point Adam was making was that people don't always see things when they are put out there. I do agree with your point that it doesn't have to be sensitive information more about keeping the fans up to date with progress, plans etc. I said at the time that fans wanted to hear the kind of things discussed here.

I don't think that's the case. I think I've seen enough feedback to see people thought it was a useful exercise. I have been a bit concerned about their motivation for getting involved with Barnsley. I don't think that is fully answered but it doesn't seem like it's all about profit in the short term from player trading. If they do half of what they say then we should be in for an interesting and exciting few years. Time will tell if that happens.

13. 6ozDave

6ozDave Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that. Very interesting and exciting times ahead methinks.

I hope we can all enjoy the journey towards that.

14. Tykeored

Tykeored Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ditto

churtonred likes this.
  15. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you for all this, Gally. You're a good 'un.

Gally likes this.
  16. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks Gally. Hope you find time for a beer or 2.

Gally likes this.
  17. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers for that Gally and appreciate the time and effort in posting that for us.
    Interesting and exciting times ahead for us imo and all without putting the club at risk .
    I know some fans are still a bit suspicious and tbh it’s not a bad thing it keeps owners on their toes .

Gally likes this.
  18. Rea

ReadingRed Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gally, Thank you for all your efforts on this and a brilliant summary.
    Very much appreciated.
    Not had time to read everyone else's comments yet though.

I saw about the Puma agreement, did they cover merchandise shortages?
    An important revenue stream.

19. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think a healthy pinch of cynicism and suspicion is ermm healthy. The gamut of football ownership isn't exactly littered with tales of warm hearted philanthropy. Equally our lot have spoken quite well and, apart from the odd mistake, have handled us reasonably well so far so there's no need to treat them as though they're here to strip us to the bone and throw us to the wolves.
    Like you say, it's going to be an interesting time. Fingers crossed their long term plans aren't too long term!

20. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Thanks. Nothing of note about that other than wanting to improve merchandising.

ReadingRed likes this.