1000 fans for Saturdays match against Coventry

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by barnsleyphil, Sep 22, 2020.

1. bar

barnsleyphil Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This must be a test game for the EFL... Anyone know if its by invite only.

2. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I doubt it. Just been mentioned that they have put a pause in fans returning

3. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with Kektyke. Gove just been on TV. Looks like all plans to let fans attend games have been shelved
    for the time being. He's also reiterated that despite former statements that Offices up and down the land
    should reopen, he's now saying " if it's possible for employees to work from home, they should."

Appears to be widespread condemnation of the recommendation to close pubs, clubs and bars at 10pm.
    A lot of critics saying they can't see the sense in that as the virus doesn't recognise time constraints.

An expert on the BBC says it simply serves as a prompt in people's minds that we should remain vigilant
    and observe the need to take the necessary precautions to prevent further outbreaks.

BFC Dave likes this.
  4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  5. Did

Didcot Red Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that unless Coco gets something right for once we can say goodbye to any visits to Oakwell this season after yesterday's gloomy prognosis by Whitty and Vallance. It could sound the death knell for a number of clubs in the lower divisions unless help is forthcoming, and I think the government will have bigger issues to address than League two football clubs.

6. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I have an idea... properly enforce the current regulations. It isn't rocket science it just requires the real intervention to do so. We could use the additional police officers that were recruited when Johnson was appointed PM... hmmm.

Did you see the gathering at boxpark croydon at the weekend ? hundreds of Palace fans crawling all over each other. Close the place down immediately and suspend the venue's licence. That involves real action not just slogans and wishy washy messures. It would also send a message to other similar venues.

7. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No risk to bar staff giving table service breaching social distancing before 10pm too. It's a clever little tinker this Covid-19.

8. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    i think i saw that step 3 non league will still be allowed to have fans, at present they can have up to 600. if there are no fans in the national league and leagues 1 and 2 by October many many clubs are going to the wall.

Redhelen likes this.
  9. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm going to say that 90% of the pub and restaurant industry is being punished because the government is either unable, or unwilling, to come down hard on those not sticking to the rules. It's easy for people to say 'I saw this pub on social media' but there's over 100,000 licensed venues in the UK.

This 10pm curfew could be the motivation thousands of restaurant owners needed to just hand the keys back. Life savings gone. The impact of a 10pm curfew is huge - nevermind this 'it's only an hour'. You're asked to be Covid-secure, work with reduced capacity, and arguably more staff, and then the government come and take away a whole session away from you because of 5% of cases.

Where's the emergency action on care homes? Why not lockdown office workers for two weeks? What's the plan for schools? It's a mess

Afies Dad, selby, Jimmy viz and 8 others like this.
  10. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Absolutely. We're like a class being kept in at playtime because the teachers can't deal with the naughty kids.

11. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They could stagger the college and school day but they won't.

12. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree. I was against pubs re-opening in the first place because you could just see what would happen in many venues across the country, now they are open we should be properly policing and punishing those that don't comply rather than punishing good landlords as well.

13. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Definitely right. Time for the FA to get a fund together for L1 & L2 clubs. Championship clubs should be able to cope IMO.

Didcot Red likes this.
  14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interestingly, and I didn't want to gate crash the fan engagement thread with this, but I've spoken to two football clubs recently and the test/pilot scenario is seen as a bit of a headache. If you're a club that's sold season tickets you're making no extra revenue from letting 500, 1,000, 3,000 fans in. All you're doing is incurring costs. Obviously you're missing out on sponsorship opportunities, but at least you know where you are with the balance sheet.

One of the clubs has invested a six figure some in basically creating a full entertainment channel for supporters watching the live streams. Studio guests, presenters, interviews, etc. So season ticket holders get a lot more than just logging on to iFollow at 2:45pm.

TitusMagee and John Peachy like this.
  15. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No they can't, they haven't the staff.

JamDrop likes this.
  16. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They could encourage students of all ages that it's still "cool" to go on designated buses which are running empty.

17. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's interesting. I wonder if it will pay off for them. Looking at this Hashtag United phenomenon there may be milage in this for some of the larger clubs I guess, rather than going down the iFollow route. Not something I'd considered TBH.

You all had us riveted in lockdown with the player interviews & I guess these days things can be done on a fairly low budget. If advertising revenue can be increased & subscriptions go direct to the club, I could see it be a solution for some. Not being inside football I obviously am only speculating.

18. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was one of the bigger Championship level clubs and the person I was speaking to had been targeted with bringing in five sponsorship deals worth £200k each for next season. You can't do that without fans back in the ground at 50%+ capacity, so long term it's not viable with the wages footballers earn, but in the short term they know where they are budget wise and the costs associated with the pilots and tests they could do without. Although he did caveat that by saying it might be a necessity to build towards the 50% plus number everyone wants.

We might be back next week with an interview! One a month and a Christmas special. Possibly.

Redhelen and John Peachy like this.
  19. Loa

Load Bearing Pillar Well-Known Member

The West Stand, second along from the Ponty end
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently Bath rugby union club are still planning to host 1,000 fans tonight as the government announcement in only effective from the 1st October so maybe this might still happen?

20. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)