1960`s

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Stamfordtyke, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Stamfordtyke

Stamfordtyke Active Member

Full time Barnsley supporter
    Stamford, Lincs. Born n dragged up in Thurnscoe
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If like me you`re in your 60`s and was brought up watching Barnsley in the 60`s then reading some threads on here make me chuckle.
    I was brought up watching us play Chester, Hartlepool, York, Darlington. Barrow, Stockport, Tranmere etc etc.and look at us now playing Wolves Leeds Wednesday Forest Derby Ipswich Villa Birmingham etc.
    You`ll never hear a complaint from me about our Team.
    Best payer in a shirt Ronnie Glavin by a mile.

seethi, mickbruff, Snaptin and 14 others like this.
  2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was brought up watching us play Wolves Leeds Wednesday Forest Derby Ipswich Villa Birmingham etc.

If you were born in 1900 you were brought up watching us get to Cup finals and win one.

Jamo likes this.
  3. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am singing from the same hymn sheet , thats why I probably I am classed as a Happy Clapper , having been brought up on a diet of mostly fourth division football , I really appreciate the good times we have enjoyed since 1980 & thats probably why I am a lot more tolerant when we are going through a rough patch

Marlon, Shy Talk, Old Goat and 2 others like this.
  4. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Me too. I used to dream of spending season after season where we are now. I never thought it would be possible, as just existing seemed a big enough challenge. Then came Allan Clarke and changed the way of thinking. The rest is history, but I'll never forget those dark days so I'm grateful for where we are now.

And in anticipation of "happy clapper" type comments, it's all relative. I don't expect our younger fans to travel back in time and experience what I did, so they're entitled to their opinion on the present day. The fact is though, apart from that 1 season, we're playing consistently at a higher level than in most of my time as a fan.

BFC Dave, Baldrick, Marlon and 5 others like this.
  5. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree.

BFC Dave likes this.
  6. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As someone whose first match was in 98/99 (didn't get a season ticket till 07/08) I view us as a championship side but have only ever, bar 2006 and 2016, known us struggle most seasons whatever division we've been in. I'm glad you can see both sides. I'd like to think I can as well but there's no substitute for actually experiencing those dark days of the 60s/70s.

Stahlrost likes this.
  7. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My first season being a regular watcher of Barnsley FC was our first season in division 4. This has coloured the expectations of we older guys, and consequently, our expectations are more limited. I can see why that could irritate our younger fellow supporters, but what the younger guys should remember is that the Premier League is also part of our past, as is the ability to challenge at the top of the Championship. Harking back a shorter time is still harking back. You can't have a go at us unless you accept that you have fallen into exactly the same trap.

With the change of ownership, is it time for all of us to stop looking backwards, to stop making comparisons, both adverse and favourable. Is it time to look forward with renewed hope without constant reference to the past, both spoken and unspoken.

BBBFC likes this.
  8. WES

WESTSTANDBOGGY Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ha ha I remember standing outside the ponty
    end with a right crowd shouting Iley out - and he went - then sum great times and managers and players. Today I am as passionate as then and have my memories like us all - I also find myself comparing past with present - Mallan to me is the new Alan little - but at the end of the day I want the club to be successful now like we all do - and it's the supporters who make the club what they are - this team has the makings it's just got to develop - PH is doing a cracking job

9. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is nothing wrong with reminiscing or nostalgia & also nothing wrong with looking forward , without any of these , discussion is restricted

Merde Tete and WESTSTANDBOGGY like this.
  10. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you were born in 1900 you would now be aged 117 or even 118 , you would certainly have a memory or two !

11. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with much of the above. I started off watching us in the 4th Division, so even though I know that the club has had many seasons as a 2nd tier club, and even though I know we're a Championship side on merit, somehow in the back of my mind I can't help feeling that we're pulling a fast one. Maybe that'll change if the new owners can tap into these hoped-for increased revenue streams and consolidate us as a solid Championship club.

12. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ditto and

13. Lone Striker

Lone Striker Well-Known Member

Goalscorer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Respect yours and everyone else’s opinions but struggling to see how Stevie Mallan is the new Alan “Animal” Little. Haven’t seen any bone crunching tackles yet which take out two opponents at the same time.

PS: original poster is correct - Ronnie is the best player in a Reds shirt in many of our lifetimes

14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I remember the days before crowd segregation predominantly in the lower leagues granted .
    Remember playing Chesterfield away in a cup game and there was no designated end for away fans and all were stood together . Mid to late sixties I think and I’m sure we lost 2:0 but memories a bit hazy to say the least

15. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think his point is that saying 'i saw us play badly in the 60s so will accept anything now because it's better than that' is a bit short sighted because by that logic anyone front the turn of the 19th century were severely let down by the club. Anyone from the 90s likewise.

Picking our worst period in our history and using that as a benchmark for our performances 60 years later is like accepting burnt food at a restaurant because you are dirt when you were 5.

16. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand that it’s all a matter of perspective, opinion and that all this stuff is rather subjective but pre-80s football just looks abysmal. Even the 66 World Cup final is more akin to a scrap on Carlton park.

If anyone ever has a spare couple of minutes in town then please call into the museum at the Town Hall and click on the BFC videos from days gone by, it’s horrific.

17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I started in the 70s and I genuinely thought Jim Iley was called Ileyout for a bit. For the first 8 games I went to I saw us score once. There have been bad times, mediocre and an occasion chink of light. In that time we became against all odds an established championship club. We can look backwards and say times were worse. We can look backwards and say times were better. It doesn’t stop us engaging our critical facilities. Doesn’t stop us saying what we think is going well or badly with the running of our club.

All I have learnt about football is that players come and players go. Managers come and managers go. Owners come and owners go. But we are our football team. We provide continuity without us our team cannot exist it would lose its point. We are it and it is us. For good and bad. A football team like ours is community it is family. It is love. It links us to childhood and anchors even those at the other side of the world in our warmth.

We should hold onto the good times. Keep them close. We never know if or when they will happen again.

I have made friends for life as a result of 11 blokes kicking a ball around. Some are lost now. Gone forever. What I’d give to go for a pint with them and whinge about this or that player. What I’d do to leap up with them to celebrate a goal or chunter about a near miss.

It’s easy to get lost in the present. It’s harder to take a step back and look at everything in context. Most of the time I don’t even want to. I don’t support Barnsley as an intellectual exercise. We are a middle of the road mediocre club unlikely to win anything. I support Barnsley because it is in me. It is part of me. Heart always rules the head.

Onwards and upwards.

John Peachy, Shy Talk, BBBFC and 4 others like this.
  18. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I
    don’t think that was his point tbh , imo he was just saying he takes the good with the bad and doesn’t throw a hissy fit when it’s the latter . Opinions eh

Shy Talk likes this.
  19. Stamfordtyke

Stamfordtyke Active Member

Full time Barnsley supporter
    Stamford, Lincs. Born n dragged up in Thurnscoe
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on with that,
    I was at Colchester in November 15 when we was at the bottom of League 1 and will be at Villa Park tomorrow. Just wish people on here would cheer up a bit and stop slagging one another off like there `s been on here lately.

20. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There were some cracking players from the old 4th Division days. Players like Mick Butler, Brian Joicey, Les Lea etc would walk into most 2nd Division teams. Even though I started watching the reds in the 60s, the vast majority of my time on this planet, the reds have been 2nd tier so that's what I see us as , a 2nd tier club.

Conan Troutman and mickbruff like this.