3-5-2 appeared to...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jay, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Play to our strengths and mask our weaknesses. Be interesting to see if that is now the preferred style of play or just used to combat today's opponents. If it is going to be the primary formation, we'll see how it works out against a team expecting us to play that way.

We've been weak all season in both full back positions, so we retired the position. We've been overrun in midfield, so we played 3, and swamped in central defence, so again we played 3. All seems logical to me.

Dougall gave a very good demonstration of how much we missed him, Halme had their forward in his pocket. Chaplin gave by far his best performance, and Collins pulled off some great saves. Diaby's pace at the back meant we're less likely to be exposed to the ball over the top and he can cover for Cavare's forward runs (cut down on the dribbling out from the back though Diaby mate).

Don't wish to be too critical, but McGeehan's limitations at this level are beginning to be exposed.

I thought, other than our finishing, it was a very good performance. Hopefully we can keep everyone fit, but the number of our players who go down with cramp this season is becoming a worry.

2. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with all of this, The worry for me is it’s a 3 games week, doubt Dougall and probably Diaby can play 3 times in 7 days.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with pretty much all that.

I put the kiss of death on McGeehan by saying before the game that he's generally good for getting in the box and putting the ball away but he missed some glaring sitters today. We should've been clear at half time.

Dougall was a big bonus for me. I liked him last season and he does his job well but I was slightly hesitant about him coming back from a long injury and stepping up a division. If he plays like he did today on a consistent level then he’ll be absolutely fine.

West Brom away next then, do we stick with the same formation? I suppose it depends on the fitness of Cavare and Diaby with them going down injured/with cramp and with Dougall still early days in his comeback.

Wilmersdorfer Winky likes this.
  4. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Pretty much how I saw it too. Worrying that at our best and with good chances we still can't win.
    Overall we were competitive today and that is a positive.
    Hard to gauge if we will continue with this formation and tactics without knowing if we will change coach.
    It was noticable we didn't press as high up the pitch and were happy to sit off until Swansea entered our half. Also less playing out from the back and a little more direct.

5. Mis

MiserablePontyEnder Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    McGeehan just had a bad game. That's all.

6. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought we looked disjoined down the left with 2 right footers down the left hand side.. Especially with 2 natural left footers on the bench in Thomas and Ben Williams.

But despite that, we looked a better organised and a better all-round team.

7. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree about Chaplin thought it was his best game in a reds shirt plus we played a less risky game regarding playing out from the back although we had our moments . Dougall Mom for me.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We were much improved from our last game - not difficult I concede but we still didn't win a game we could and should have won.

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Didn't lose it though either. I thought Leeds was a similar game that we did lose.

There are a few saying that even at our best we still can't win, and I understand that point of view if we look at the season as a whole. But maybe we've got to take today as game one and see where we go from here. It may be that nothing much has changed and we'll continue to draw or lose by the odd goal goal when we play well and get a thumping when we don't, but I think we've got to see how the games pan out under this this new coach (or his permanent replacement) before we'll know that.

Red Rain likes this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who was the captain today?

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're right we didn't lose so there is some hope but we've really got to be more clinical in front of goal if we are going to stay up. I hope we are about to turn a corner, I really do, but we need to do it soon. I'm losing hope but I haven't given it up yet.

12. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think our type and quality of players this season are suited to the 352, also injuries playing this way wont have as much impact. It will develop as players become more accustomed to the formation and some of the players may benefit from it.

I think Bahre would stand out in the Mcgeehan role today, Ive heard Odour will be quality and id like to see Wilkes pace power presence and agression at the side of Woodrow.

Id like to see
    Collins
    Diaby Halme Anderson
    Brown Dougal Bahre Mowatt Odour
    Woodrow Wilkes

Sibbick Styles Williams Cavare Chaplin Mcgeehan Pinnilos Simeos Thiam Thomas can all drop in without weakening the team too much