71 quid for the year

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ark104 (v2), Mar 9, 2018.

1. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got my tax summary through today. My contribution to the EU for the year is £71. That's it. Less than 2 category A* Barnsley matches. Sounds like value for money to me.

Kettlewell, Hicksy and Sestren like this.
  2. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given that the cost of the EU is around £220 for every man woman and child in the country seems like either:

1. The tax man's lying
    2. You're scrounging off the rest of the population - probably off tories. Well done.
    3. The cost is in hidden other taxes like import duties and VAT which you don't get reported by HMRC on this form

But for £71 you get what exactly. Because if I'm paying £71 for nowt. I'd rather pay nowt thanks very much.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Eh the whole point of the EU (or one of them anyway) is there is not hidden import duties or VAT - no idea where you get that from.

As for the paying for nowt - I wish I could vote to leave surrey council - I pay a lot more than that in rates, and all I seem to get is my bins emptied every second week. even need to pay again for garden waste etc

Kettlewell and DusThaNoIII like this.
  4. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure im scrounging off the rest of the population. That's out of well over 10 grand income tax and NI contribution I paid last year. 71 quid of which was EU contribution. That's it. I'm pretty sure a lot more went on subsidising Brexit voters.

I paid twice as much on street lights apparently. I'd rather we turned off every second street light and stayed in the EU to be honest....

5. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    See my post above - on surrey coucil - now my street lights are dimmed from 9 pm to midnight and turned off completely from midnight to 6am so I dont even get that - and I live on an unmade road, we get together once a year to fill all the potholes etc ourselves and have to pay for the scalpings and wacca plate hire

6. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I assumed street lighting was funded by council tax but on the HMRC document it says 'utilities eg street lighting' which is strange.

Got to stick up for councils though. Having been involved in budget setting this year they are absolutely crippled trying to meet rising service demands against the back drop of national funding cuts. It's the perfect ploy from the Tories, reduce local funding by 40% and then sit back whilst councils take the blame for the subsequent service cuts. Then argue the private sector is better placed to deliver...

BFC Dave and Nardiello like this.
  7. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think that will be Motorways and major trunk routes that are maintained by the Highways Agency, I am fairly sure the council do all the residential lighting

8. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The point of the EU is that there is no VAT.....

What with the EU wanting to put VAT on food as well as not allowing it to be taken back of pensioners gas bills or childrens toys or womens sanitory products. Oooookkaaayyy.....,...

9. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    But the VAT goes to our government not to the EU
    Anyway I am looking forwards to paying massive roaming charges on my phone bills again next year onwards that for sure will be a benefit of leaving

10. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, makes sense. It was a facetious point about street lighting tbf but it amused me to think I could stay an EU citizen if I buy myself a torch

11. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Membership of euratom alone which could save the life of yourself or a loved one is worth 71 quid.

12. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love that you've been accused of scrounging but based on my husand's tax summary from last year (not got mine yet), he paid less than that towards the EU and his wage isn't a small one. Your monetary contribution to society is a very respectable amount (as I presume you also spend a fair proportion of the money you earn on top of the tax you pay).

On a similar point (of how people exaggerate the expense of something), look how small the overseas aid amount is and yet so many people say we should stop sending any. We're talking about people dying through lack of food and water, sanitation and vaccinations against preventable diseases and yet people begrudge ~£100 a year.

13. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One certain Mr Osbourne was celebrating reducing the deficit just this week. One of the tools he used to do that was to increase the VAT levels. Seems like our government can set VAT as they wish unless they want to use it as a tool to blame someone else for.

14. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    £20 my contribution to EU but then again I am one of life's scroungers being an OAP