A Comedy Of Errors...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Poet, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wow. Just, wow.

I don't know where to begin, what a night of embarassment. I'm just glad I managed to get in for 5 quid.

I wasn't happy with the team that took to the field from the start; Hassell in midfield (big mistake), no JCR, no Devaney and no Van Homoet (who is far better than Kozluk on tonights performance).

The first goal was totally Howards fault; attempting to carry the ball into a convoluted 25 yard area is suicide against most Championship teams, but against Premiership opposition, it's downright foolish - he subsequently lost the ball, and within a flash - it's 0-1.

The second was solely Letherens fault, ok - maybe the defence should have closed Heskey down quicker, but he should have saved that with the utmost ease.

The third, for me was down to Davey's stupidity in going 3-5-2, Wigans class in spotting this and partially Steve Foster for not sticking with his man. The ball was played over, and its 0-3. Three shots, three goals. Wigan then had the nerve to hit the crossbar and the post with cracking efforts, De Ridder was running the show - a true magician, I wish we had someone like him.

I was glad to see JCR and Devaney take to the field, for Howard was almost anonymous for the first 45 minutes, and from what I've seen in pre-season up to now, he's been awful.

JCR's impact was instanteous, within minutes, he should've worked Pollit and it maybe should've been 1-3. Instead, Wigan went straight up the other end and made it 0-4. De Ridder once again making Kozluk look stupid, before firing the ball in via Moores chest. Awful defending.

The 5th was even worse. All the defence stood watching as Wigan fired shots in from all angles, with Letheren pulling off two great saves, before De Ridder magnificently chipped the keeper with an exquisite lob. 0-5.

We then started to play, JCR was trying to take control of the game, and he was doing well - his pace and determination was a revelation and I only hope Howard takes note of this - for JCR HAS to start in the side, as does Devaney - a lot more threat was posed by the two. Macken was unlucky to see his shot come back off the bar, as too was he to see his back header float into the empty space with no reds player in sight. Hume looked a little rusty, but with a few more games under his belt, I'm sure he will be a big asset.

Again, Odejayi was subject to a few moronic boo's - why? He did great when he came on, threw himself about and caused Wigan a few problems.

I don't think Letheren can take any blame, except for the 2nd - if it wasn't for him, it would've been 10-0 without a doubt.

The defence at times looked shocking, all the goals were school boy standard. Kozluk was absolutely terrible, what a mare - I hope Van Homoet starts the next few games. Souza and Moore are EXCELLENT in the air, their presence is immense...but on the ground, they leave a lot to be desired. I fear we will concede a lot of goals this season, even with Muller back, I still think we will concede far too many. Foster too was not at the races, I'm putting this down to the class of the opposition. I only hope Davey realises that JCR, Devaney and Van Homoet need to start.

Wigan are not a team who we should be losing 6-0 to, the goals weren't good - they were bad defending on our part. I only hope we come back a lot stronger on Saturday and then against QPR a week later. If we don't, we are in for a bad season.

I put the results against Yeovil, Glossop, Rotherham down to pure lethargy and focus on fitness. However, after 1 month of hard training and 5 good games, I'm not so sure. The 20 minute spell we had in the 2nd half was good, we need to do that for the remaining 70 and the defending needs to improve ten fold.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!

2. Rea

ReadingRed Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank You for your views Mr Poet.

You said 3-5-2, who lined up where please?

3. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No problem mate.

Started out;

Letheren

Haimour (WB)
    Foster
    Moore
    Souza
    Kozluk(WB)

Howard
    Leon
    Hassell

Hume
    Macken

HT:

JCR --- for --- Howard
    Devaney --- for --- Leon

And we were much better second half (going forward).

4. TTT

TTT New Member

good post

5. Rea

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    thanks Poet!
    How was Leon? no one really commenting on him.
    Haimour seems to have done well again from comments, I rated him at Yeovil game.
    Did we revert to 4-4-2 then?
    Who played wide left if we did?
    questions questions - sorry.

6. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Leon didn't do too bad in the first half, however, he too looked a little out of his depth and never really made his mark against a very strong Wigan midfield.

Haimour looked pretty good, did a good job defending and going forward (i.e the sign of a true wing back - which Kozluk, sadly is not).

Second half, Foster went right back, Moore and Souza centre and Van Homoet Left back.

Devaney went wide right, JCR and Hassell/Togwell went central and Haimour went wide left. However JCR was pretty much playing a roaming midfield role, he was all over.

Macken then seemed to play a resevered striker role just behind Hume, and he was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

7. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers mate.

8. Rea

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    afreed - very useful

9. Rea

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    thanks poet, good insight.

10. Gue

Guest Guest

We'll be reyt once Riordan signs...

:D

11. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd rather have a left back nt

12. oss

ossettred Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RE: I'd rather have a left back nt

Nyatanga for left back would do me!

13. Spa

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Barnsley, England, United Kingdom, 103126909727190
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks

decent read.

Though why you resorted to yesterdays puerile claims is beyond me.

14. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RE: Thanks

Apologies. However, I was told reliably that Riordan was to sign this week for 800k - that's all I'm saying on the matter.

15. Spa

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Barnsley, England, United Kingdom, 103126909727190
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lets hope you were right

if only partially

16. eas

eastfifetyke New Member

Home Page:
    Good, he's highly rated by everyone i've spoke to up here, treading water at celtic by all accounts,

I reckon if this is true, he'll get a bag-full in the championship this season! C'MON!!!!

17. t.t

t.t Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Letheren was dire in first half

Thought he should have saved second and third goals, but in second he was much better.

As for rest of the team, I think it's fairly obvious the 3-5-2 doesn't work. Once we went to 4-4-2 we looked much more threatening going forward.

18. Andromeda

Andromeda Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Poet, Do you go to any...

...away matches? You make some interesting observations. I struggle to get to as many matches as I would like, particularly away games. We used to have a quite detailed report of all matches from someone who, well let's say fell foul of the law.

It's just nice to read well thought out and well written reports from people who see games first hand.

19. Poet

Poet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, I do - infact...

I've just started a blog up, with all the match reports on (I'll try and include some pictures too) if you are interested. Let me know and I'll send you the link.

Cheers,

20. Cho

Chopwell Red Active Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I vowed yesterday just to completely boycott your posts and am now wondering why on earth someone who can put together a report like that resorted to the lies of the Riordan fiasco the other day! Just cant work that out at all.