A move to Leeds is a backwards step

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Young Nudger, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OK - Leeds have a much better and greater history of success compared to Barnsley.
    This has been built on one thing and one thing only - much more money has been spent at Leeds compared to Barnsley.
    The money spent at Leeds has attracted better players - which in turn produces better teams - which in turn attracts more supporters.
    Over the decades many football fans in Barnsley have abandoned their own town club to follow clubs like Leeds in the belief that there is a much greater chance of watching a good successful team.
    THAT SCENARIO HAS NOW CHANGED.

For once in the last 50+ years we have owners at Barnsley that can compete financially with clubs like Leeds.
    These new owners - like most (except clubs like high risk Wolves) new owners build carefully to create a solid base - then when the time is right they will push on towards the Premiership.
    Crucially these new owners have enough funds available to them to maintain their stay in the Premiership.
    The push towards the Premiership may take 2, 3, 4 or 5 seasons.
    But it will happen.
    Hecky - a Barnsley supporter - knows all this.

SO WHY WOULD ANYONE LEAVE BARNSLEY RIGHT NOW TO GO TO LEEDS ???

Connor likes this.
  2. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because with all due respect, we are on the verge of relegation without a severe upturn in form and Leeds can still get in the play offs. Plus Leeds have already shown they are willing to spend significant money in getting promoted where we haven't.

As much as I hate Leeds, they are so far in front of us at the moment its untrue.

Jimmy viz, MappRed, Jamo and 2 others like this.
  3. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Our owners are not interested in pumping money into the club in that way. So we are still finically a lot worse off than Leeds.

4. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As much as I agree with most of that, there's more chance of us staying up with most of the managers we've been linked with than Leeds getting play offs with Heckingbottom.

What I am gonna say is, I would have also left the club for Leeds and taken that risk but would have done it in a totally different manner without a smug look on my face.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  5. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who’s told you that?
    Where have you read that?
    Because I keep seeing that posted - and there is no evidence whatsoever of that.
    People - including the media - are still viewing the differences between Leeds and Barnsley by looking at past history.
    Not many seem to be actually looking at how things are right now and into the future.

The new owners have said that they are not going to come straight into the club and throw huge amounts of money at it.
    As I’ve said - no new owners do that because that is a high risk strategy that is very likely to fail with a huge loss of money - see Sheffield Wednesday.

These new owners will build carfully on how things have been done before - then when the time is right they have the funds to open the cheque book and propel the club into the Premiership and keep it there.

Believe me - these new owners - these massively successful business people - do not acquire a new business just to stare at it.
    The consortium has not bought into English football - the most exciting league in the world - just to watch Barnsley drifting along aimlessly.

So why move to Leeds.
    That has a owner that is throwing all he’s got at the club at the moment - high risk strategy.
    And who hires and fires because he is desperate for a pay back on his investment.

6. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well most of the Barnsley-residing Leeds fans I know have never supported BFC so have not abandoned them. I know of some that jumped on the BFC bandwagon and abandoned Leeds when Allan Clarke first came, and the same ones abanded BFC when Leeds start to rise under Howard Wilkinson, Strachan et al. However, In the main I would say that few have abandoned BFC

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nudger why are you bothering , you made a statement on the 5th of february on Tykesmad that you had Done for the season & would reconsider your position in the summer , you also invited posters off here to join you on Tykesmad because its great on there , so I do not know why you are bothering

churtonred and MappRed like this.
  8. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lol

9. RedStriker

RedStriker Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yet another boorish tirade from Mr. Opinionated. Fact is, if you're earning 300k in a nice cosy backwater and someone pops up and offers you 1.5M, even if it's shovelling **** in a sewage works, you take it. Its a better life for the people he really loves, his family.
    There's only one way I'd stay in such circumstances and that's if I was totally secure, as in millions in the bank, already.
    Fair play to him. Its not a question of loyalty, there's none of that anywhere, it's ambition and doing what's right for his people.
    I wish him well.

churtonred likes this.
  10. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And if that employer said - we are paying you far more - but while you are shovelling s***t you are only allowed to do it for a short while - and while you are doing it - you will be shovelling while standing on a trap door.
    What consideration do you give to your family under those circumstances?

11. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Because he will believe in his own ability and think he can succeed. He won't want to wait for something that might not happen. Or he may get sacked before it does.
    I too would like to believe that if we got into the position we did last Jan that they would try and push on instead of give up like we did.
    But they clearly said at the press conference the club would be living with in it a means. Now they are going to try and increase the income they also stated that. But we have no way of knowing how successful that will be.
    I wasn't suggesting they don't have plans to grow the club but as you say it will be a long term plan. Managers have to take the chances when they come or at least that how Hecky saw it.

12. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    PH was standing on a trap door and would’ve in all likelihood been out of a job by the end of February if he had stayed at Oakwell.

“What consideration do you give to your family under those circumstances?”

13. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If he'd stayed and kept us up we may be looking at a push for the prem in the next 3 or 4 years.
    If he'd stayed and gone down or not performed to the satisfaction of owners he doesn't know that well he would expect the sack in the near future. His job security here was far less stable than when PC was in charge.
    If he goes to Leeds he doesn't increase the risk of being sacked, he gets a big pay hike and has a realistic shot of taking a genuinely big club up to the prem in a shorter timeframe than we're realistically looking at here.
    None of this hard fact but it is fairly realistic supposition.
    That's why he left. (In my opinion)

14. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Could well be.
    Although I think his job security here was far better than Leeds - especially if he had kept us in the Championship.
    The fans opinion would have assured that - because the vast majority of us loved Hecky.
    Which would have made his longer term earnings bigger than taking a huge gamble at trap door Leeds.
    If Leeds had given him a 3 or 4 year contract then it would have added up.
    As things stand I don’t think it does add up - and at some point we may get to hear more about this.

15. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd say his job security was almost guaranteed under Patrick. We'd have had to have gone down and really struggled for him to get the push.
    With new owners there was absolutely no guarantee of that and, regardless of fan favour they may well have been far more likely to fire him.
    As for that fan adulation. It counts for nothing. They'd have turned on him in the end. Just look how quick they are to traduce him now he's had the temerity to leave.