A Negati

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, Apr 7, 2017.

1. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty much sums it up!

Luckily option "B" is in a minority. same ones that would have sold Hourihane for £300k 15/16 months ago! In any civilisation there are always a few oddballs. Normally that's a good thing. Unfortunately on the internet it means you read reams and reams of their repeated regurgitated drivel.

2. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty much sums up my views, Farnham. I actually think Conor would have played ball. We didn't need the 3M in the light of the Stones/Mawson situations. And there was whatever we got for Bree and the supply of new toy pigs that we received for Sam. We could have given Conor a new 4 month contract and then wished him well. I don't think we'd have gone up, but instead we'd have avoided the current run of relegation form and ended the season in more positive form going into the break. Something to build on - positively a further boost to ST sales?

3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think you've misunderstood. I am suggesting to Stahlrost - or anyone else for that matter - if they are not interested in a thread or they think it is repetition of a topic done to death, I would encourage them to start a thread about a topic they wish to discuss or something they think has not been discussed before. Then we are all free to decide if we want to contribute or not. Easy.

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's an open forum. You start one.

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm unclear why someone would moan about someone starting a thread. If you have a different topic to discuss either ignore or don't contribute. If you feel that the same topic is being raised then start one yourself.

Here's a few starter topics.

The unbearable Lightness of Being Martin Bullock

Hegel's dialectic and it's relationship to Johnny Steele

Living in a post truth world and it's correlation to the dynamic wing play of Jamal Campbell Ryce.

Gwyn Thomas - sexy or not?

6. YTB

YTBFC Guest

People are entitled to an opinion and mine is that he wanted to leave there and then. There are what ifs, there always are. But I'm confident when saying he wanted out at that point and to that particular club. The club then have to make a decision and run with it. We can all agree or disagree about it. But it happened. Bellyaching about it is futile. You can't change the past.

Inside the many what if scenarios is the idea that we'd have maybe reached the playoffs had we retained said player and others. It was a possibility. Just as not reaching them would have been. It's clear we've lacked goals since January so obviously the departures hurt us. So I've no issue with folk wondering what might have been.

What does grate is the hammer that the club have had. I think it's unfair. And smacks of memory loss. But then, I would say that. Whilst clapping happily.

One thing I do know, is that had we made these players stay and everything that would have entailed and still not made the playoffs, the same dissenters would have been out in force the day we saw Conor and co waltz out of the club for diddly squat.

Up the Reds.

7. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Why did the sale of Chris Barker give clues to Brexit a quarter of a century before it happened.

8. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think most people have missed the point, so at the risk of repeating myself, I will say it again.

The people who believe we were good enough to challenge for the play offs and might have got there are negative and defeatist, i.e me

The people who think we would not have made are positive and fully supportive of the club. You know who you are.

I am just saying it is strange how view points are perceived as positive and negative.

I am NOT commenting on the wisdom or motives behind selling the players in January.

9. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for your permission. I frequently do start topics. What I don't do is start the same one over and over just in a different guise. Cos that would be tedious, pointless and other users of the forum would just get sick of it.

Bossman and occook like this.
  10. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

And repetitive

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

11. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think it's about bellyaching YT. I think that there are questions raised about our outlook going forward. For example, if we are lucky enough to get another really good draft of players this summer, and Hecky and co work their magic on them, does the entertainment last only until we reach January again? Longer contracts won't matter, because they can be cherry-picked by the bigger clubs regardless. I'm really asking: what is our plan to take things to the next level? Or is it going to be buy well; develop; sell; repeat?

Duntpasstome likes this.
  12. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with Conan. I've also thought it strange that those who thought we could have made the play offs without the sales are classed as negative and those who thought we couldn't are positive. I'd also say that people are only fed up of posts that they disagree with.

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barker being a neo Keynsian and a disciple of Noam Chomsky believed that the EU represented the concentration of power into the hands of the capitalist elite. We told him not to be so ******* clever and flogged him. He blamed the poles and Latvians and the ghost of a future James Bree for his fall from grace. This led to him forming Ukip disguised as a millionaire stockbroker and German shagger. The rest is history. Harder topics please.

14. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

If it was only a case of everything being based on that then you'd have a point, but it's not is it?

It's about people continually bashing the club at every opportunity.

Its not just in relation to what did or didn't happen in January. That's just one excuse of many, and it's slightly different from people, myself included saying that the playoffs were a long shot.

You know me personally mate, and you know I'm not a negative type of person.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Bossman likes this.
  15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As an outsider looking in (given I subscribe to neither view)

It does seem a little strange that to think of us as #teamslikebarnsley greatful to be playing I'm the same league as giants like Wigan and Burton with no ambition is seen as being 'positive' whilst thinking that we can achieve things is seeing as 'negative' bit them again we so live in a Donald Trump post truth world.

16. YTB

YTBFC Guest

First off, I think you're being selective with your memories. You say the entertainment lasted only until January. Well, I would suggest you have a look at the archive on here from October and November. A certain Mr Troutman and others were out in force. The Reds were struggling, lost 5 in 6 at one point. Was that entertaining? And are you really telling me that it wasn't entertaining beating Villa with Hourihane? What about the Brighton, Huddersfield, Reading, Ipswich, Derby and most recently the Wednesday game? Aye, no wins in there. But if you attended all those games and can genuinely tell me you weren't entertained or that we were really inferior in any of them, I would call you a liar.

Yes, we lost good players. I think we've missed them. Yes, losing them probably put paid to any slight chance of the playoffs. But I honestly don't see what else the club could have done. So why moan about it? We can't affect it. It's gone. Happened. We move on.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that if we again do well next season we will risk losing good players again. We are Barnsley. We have less than 10,000 season ticket holders, many of those are free tickets to under 12s. The club has to recycle players. We cannot compete at this level financially. But we have competed on the field at this level, we look set to finish higher than we have done since May 2000. I call that progress and at some rate. But can we build on it? We shall see. It will be a big challenge.

I am staggered that less than 18 months since we were staring down the barrel of L2 that some folk don't see everything that has happened since as massively successful and a clear sign of progression on and off the field. All of this despite the loss of good players (don't forget Alfie and the L1 loanees) and departure of two CEOs and one head coach. And, our owners illness.

As Hecky said this morning, fans would have snapped your hand off for this season if offered it in August. Is he wrong?

I understand it's **** losing good players thus hurting our chances to further prosper. I am a supporter remember? This is my club. But I'd rather us be in this situation than the one we were in the last time at this level where nobody wanted our players because we were bottom six all season and the squad was littered with dross and loanee journeymen.

I can't tell you the plan for the future. That's for the powers that be I'm afraid. But I am excited regardless. Fingers crossed Reading or Fulham go up through the playoffs and we have Leeds, Wednesday, Huddersfield, Sheff Utd, Bolton and hopefully Bradford to play next year. Plus Forest and Derby. Sunderland, Villa, Norwich. Etc etc etc.

I love this division. We've had a great first year back up. Hopefully next season eclipses it.

barnsley66, BobT and occook like this.
  17. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Does anyone buy Topics? Do they still exist? I preferred Lion Bars.

18. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    About two people have grasped the point so far.

People writing paragraph after graph about the sale of the players are wasting their time in this thread.

SirPsychoSexy likes this.
  19. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I get it. You are a really positive supportive fan because you truly believed we would have got promotion if we kept Conor and Sam instead of sold them for £5m. You are the most positive person. You are not negative in any way. I wish all fans were as positive and supportive as you. Well done. Keep up the good work.

Ps - if you make 10 more posts on it that makes you 10 times more positive and supportive.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I go with the words of Simon De Beauvoir who was in The mount last Friday with Gerry Taggart, the Pope and Vincent Van Gogh. She said 'oi Vinny you lop eared **** get off my Lion Bar you can have that nonce Jason Donovan's topic' before going back to her indepth discussion on situationism and existentialism with Taggart.