Adam Davies

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by redarmychris, Apr 14, 2017.

1. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dont get me wrong I love Davies as a player. He's been a massive part of what we have achieved recently and his clean sheet record is phenomenal.

But I do sometimes think to myself is he really that good? Or is it the fact we have had a much more solid defence these days that makes him appear better than he is.

Is he a good shot stopper? I would say yes he's excellent but surely every keeper at Championship level is an excellent shot stopper. Its the skill thats makes you a goal keeper in the first place.

Does he command the box well? I would say no. If anything I would say he has poor command of his area and is helped out a great deal by our very commanding CB over the last 2 seasons. One game that does spring to mind is Forest at home where our CBs on the night were woeful with dealing crosses. A more commanding keeper would maybe have dug them out of a hole that night but its very rare you will see Davo claim a cross from open play. One thing I will say though is he may be instructed to stay on his line due to the face our CB are very skilled at dealing with crosses. This gives him more chance of making the save if the CB lose the header.

Next one is distribution. I find Davo so slow particularly at throwing the ball out when we're trying to counter. He hesitates and hesitates until the chance is gone. As a counter attacking team he's got to take more responsibility for playing a role in that. At the minute I feel he's underperforming in that area.

In terms of accuracy with kicking its fair to say he's worse than Luke Steele who was also very poor. I'm not sure this is something that can improve a great deal you're either a good footballer or you're not. If you're good the kicking just comes naturally.

Finally does he have regular mistakes in him? I would say he has 5-10 serious errors in him per season at this level and for me that is way too many.

I do wonder would a more naturally commanding keeper take our game to the next level. Over the last few games of the season Id like to see a real emphasis on Davies making that extra effort to start off attacks and maybe even take a bigger command of the box.

Goalkeeper is an area at the minute that can definitely be improved. Id love to see Davies develop into more than just a shot stopper but feel he needs greater competition that Townsend to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You love Davies as a player but then you've ripped apart his shot stopping, catching, command of his area and distribution.

Christ alone know how much you'll love him if he improves......

John Peachy and Youuureds! like this.
  3. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes he's given and continues to give his all for the club. On whole he's been a very good keeper in a very successful period for the club. That doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws in his game though.

Also I said his shot stopping was excellent.

Why not just give an opinion on the actual subject and debate rather than pulling the post down for something that isn't really relevant?

Its really sad that you cant have a reasoned a sensible debate on this forum anymore without someone taking away from the threads actual point.

Fev Red and properboitellthi like this.
  4. pompey_red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Il give you an opinion on the actual post. It was a load of rubbish. Davies isn't world class but he's as good a keeper in this division as there is. He tried his bloody best representing my club and that will do for me. I must have missed your posts after his clean sheet last week.

Dalestykes likes this.
  5. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His kicking last night was probably the worst I have ever seen from a Barnsley keeper. The ones that didn't sail straight into touch were either miskicks that went to their man and came straight back or hopeful punts to our non-existent big man up front. He really needs to learn how to throw it out better or why not just take short kicks to the nearest defender?

Then let them hoof it out of touch! Seriously though, it's an element of his game that he needs to work on badly.

6. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Id agree there are areas of his game to improve but hes young in goalie terms. Given our budget he's the top end of what we can afford in terms of quality

John Peachy likes this.
  7. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So I haven't referenced to his phenomenal clean sheet record then?

I realise now you're obviously too thick for reasoned debate.

I apologise.

8. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This. He's young and improving. I doubt we'd be able to find better without spending a significant chunk, and that money would be better spent elsewhere.

I also think, for what it's worth, that he's quite attached to the club. He's looked happy to sign extensions with little fuss, and I think that might come from being given his chance at first-team football here. Remember the JPT interview?

9. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Davis is a very good keeper, sounds like he had a howler last night. Intp
    . I topography his howler against scum. Is say he getting ready for a rest, the end of the season. Can't come quickly enough for him

10. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would say that his kicking isn't great but I'm not going to go all Pep Guadiola on it, I don't see it as a major thing.

I think saying that he's had a strong defence in front of him this season is doing a slight disservice to him, yes our defence is strong (particularly in the middle of it) but didn't Davies have the most saves in the league at one point? I have no idea what this stat reads now but he clearly deserves credit for it.

I do think commanding his area is 1 thing he does need to improve on though.

I've seen us have a fair few ***** keepers over the years I've been watching but Davies is up there with Muller and Steele for me and there is a lot of potential with him to get even better. I've got zero problems with him being our number 1 for the considerable future.

Tobys Knackers and redarmychris like this.
  11. pompey_red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Insults. Way to go kidda!

12. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Show that you're actually reading a post properly then before commenting and then you'll be able to make comments that are actually constructive and relevant.

If you disagree with points I've made regarding my critique of Davies attributes then you could at least say why?

13. fat

fatalbert Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Saves a penalty--saves the Team--What a diamond we have here. I'll never have a bad word said about 'ar Adam.

Kettlewell likes this.
  14. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Competition for the number 1 jersey required for next season. Davies is far too much in his comfort zone with the useles Nick Townsend as back up.

15. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately for you Pompey Red is 'best pals' with the guy who runs the forum so he can pretty much say what he wants when he wants without any repurcussion! I've only ever seen Hi. pull other posts apart rather than entering a debate!

16. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Davies played well today and made a great pen save.

Perhaps we could concentrate on what a great match that was. Best of the season at home for me. Some lovely football played.

Shepley Red likes this.
  17. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shot stopping ? Hasn't he got most saves in this league?

18. pompey_red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Care to elaborate? Il debate with anyone about pretty much anything and stand my ground when I believe in something. As said If you'd care to discuss this I'm available and as for being someone's best pal isn't that a bit school yard? It's no shock that many a decent poster leaves here.

Shepley Red likes this.
  19. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed.

20. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)