Advice much appreciated from former miners?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Monkey Boy, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Mon

Monkey Boy Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can anyone advise how to make a claim for my dad who has been diagnosed with industrial COPD, he worked in the mine for 30 odd years. Every miner he speaks to has a pension top up and a successful claim from the but in true style the forgets to ask how they perused it and who they used to help. Any suggestion, much appreciated.

RedStriker likes this.
  2. Vesp77

Vesp77 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  3. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I’d suggest getting in touch with Thompson’s solicitors for advice.
    They are the solicitors recommended by most Trade Unions and usually give you full compensation .

https://www.thompsonstradeunion.law/

4. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Marlon likes this.
  5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    There’s two types of claim there’s the industrial injuries claim for DWP which Vesp has posted and a personal injury claim from a private claim which I’d recommend using the one I’ve posted .
    Thompson’s will explain how to claim both if you ask.

TitusMagee and Vesp77 like this.
  6. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My grandad had that listed on his death certificate as cause of death but when my dad went to Raleys (now shut) they were hopeless. It turns out my grandad's will listed everything to his recent carer (with a little bit to a cat's home, even though he's never had a cat and always had a dog his whole life), including anything that may be claimed in future on his behalf, and not a penny to his children. All money was also gone from the house despite the fact that we know he always kept literally thousands under the mattress. When my dad and siblings contested the will, Raleys were no use whatsoever and could ony advise that they write to the carer and ask for them to agree to any money arising from a claim go to them, not the carer. The carer refused and said that they would split the money (can't remember exact percent but not even 50/50). My dad and siblings understandably said she wasn't getting another penny from him. The claim can only be made by family so she can't pursue it and as, per the will, the money would go directly to her, the children aren't claiming for it, despite it being the most cut and tried case ever with it actually being listed on the death certificate. After looking them up and seeing that they are now shut and were sued for negligence in other cases, I'm wondering whether to advise him to try again but remembering how stressful and drawn out the whole process was before, I'm certain he'd rather just leave it be. It's also been well over 15 years so probably too late in any case.

7. Mon

Monkey Boy Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate it. It's a world I know nothing about and hes been retired that long hes also out of the loop. Cheers everyone.

8. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    COPD is known as D12 for DWP purposes, If you don’ t want to download it from the website call 0800 121 8379, tell them what you want to claim for, they’ll send you appropriate forms and a free post reply envelope. In fact I recommend you do this, they’re based in Barnsley as well. Any further queries give me a shout I can help

9. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I Can’t comment about the legal stuff but Posthumous claims for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) have to made within 12 months of the Death Certificate being issued. It’s almost criminal how solicitors make claims to the DWP for their clients knowing full well their are Government employees to help them at no cost.

JamDrop likes this.
  10. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do ring them though mate

11. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My wife claimed posthumously for COPD compensation for her dad. Num recommended raleys but they wanted a cut. Luckily I'd read that scheme included government paying reasonable solicitors costs. We used a firm in Warrington who didn't take a penny. Use a solicitor by all means but don't pay anything or let them sign you to no win no fee arrangement - they take a cut if they do this good luck mate