Ale watch

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tobyornottoby, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They serve cans in the Ponty End. Worthingtons.

Gally likes this.
  2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Think it says much about people. Some are glad to keep having something and never trying anything new. Some people try many things are evolve their tastes and preferences. I drank fosters in my early ventures on Saturday nights. because of minimal choice and minimal insight. Always felt gassy, never particularly liked it, john smiths seemed stale, then you had bud in bottles and hooch and that was about it.

Try it. Some very refreshing beers you've never heard of. Limelight from Arbor has a hit of lime in a very neutral light beer. Plum Porter from Titanic, gorgeous. Anorak from gypsy hill, another darkish beer with a lovely hit of plum. Great thing, you can ask anywhere and they'll give you a taste.... just have to brave and try. And that's the sad thing, when someone doesn't try. If you try and don't like it, fine. But imagine encountering flavour when all you thought existed was gas.

Jamo and Merde Tete like this.
  3. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mate who lives in Bristol brought four cases of different Moor beers over to a function we had the other week. Really nice stuff. In general their beers seem to be a cross between traditional British ales and the more hop-forward US ones. I had a good time sampling.

As for what the majors have done since taking over some of the smaller breweries - the ones you mention are pretty bland now. Ditto Goose Island and Lagunitas in the USA. Not sure if Ballast Point still tastes OK.

4. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's interesting, if Acorn is supplying the beer bright, ie cask conditioned ale racked off the yeast, it is convenient but racking it off the yeast gives it virtually no shelf life...with yeast and using a cask breather it will last a week ....get Johnny on here!!

5. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    The guy who owns Moor is American. Done huge amounts of research into hops and has a 3 year advance order from a couple of suppliers, same with yeasts. Was saying because of the boom in smaller brewers (think he quoted 2,300 ish in Uk roughly), there was huge competition for the best hops, so having to sign longer and longer contracts and getting more expensive since pound plunged with ones they favour being American.

tried 4 or 5, think I had Raw and Return of the Empire (owner is a big star wars fan!) but couldn't get to try B'Moor which was a bitter with a hit of blueberries.

Merde Tete likes this.
  6. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Things sound as though they've changed a bit, I used to do a lot of business with Moor, they were founded and owned by Arthur Frampton a Somerset Farmer, I remember supplying them with a load of pump clips and key-ring fobs besides beer. I still have the fob on my own car keys today.

7. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    The American guy bought it from the farmer about 10 years ago as it was losing money and going under. Relocated to Bristol 2 ish years ago and looking to expand their storage area, probably in a separate building.

8. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, I've heard about the hop wars! My mate has an excellent micro and one of his best brews was an Amarillo and Zeus IPA. When it disappeared I asked him why, and he said there was a Russia-wide Amarillo shortage. There is a hop-growing region of Russia which has been kept going by some hop nerds who've worked there since before the Soviet Union collapsed. They have quite a few rare varieties, which they're trying to persuade Russian craft brewers to try, but everyone wants New World hops. Not much interest in the domestic ones, which are apparently very subtle in flavour like UK or German hops. It's a pity, as I'd like to try some beer brewed as it tasted in the days of the USSR.

9. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Without professing to know for certain, the chances are they would be old British and German varieties, quite a few of Czarist Russia's breweries were started by or with the help of foreign brewers , it seems likely they would just have continued with a winning formula.
    British ales were immensely popular, until recently Courage still produced Imperial Russian Stout, and even in the 1990's Mansfield Brewery still exported several thousand barrels a month to the Baltic states.

Merde Tete likes this.
  10. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Yeah thats right. It usually isnt a problem since we nearly always sell what we buy and move to acorn bottles at the tail end of the service. Last night in hindsight should have been bottle only.

Like i said i thinks its to do with us having to cart the beer across oakwell and set up just before the match but there might be something else Ive forgotten.

11. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And right on cue! This just appeared in my Facebook feed. A pretty decent overview of what's going on in my adopted home city.

http://www.prostly.com/st-petersburg-beer-guide/

12. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    it says loads about. People
    Exactly, and they are catering for the masses. Not sure that the masses want a pint of granny's flange or some other obscure beverage you've. Never heatd of

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    If grannys flange was the tastiest drink, i'd drink it straight from the keg! ;-)

I find it so sad some people would rather have something they've heard of, than something they might actually like. But each to their own. I'll try and track down some granny flange for you! ;-)

Merde Tete and tyrone1 like this.
  14. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    :), very true. But om sure I get my point about. Catering for the masses

15. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some and probably most who go to oakwell will prefer the "tasteless piss" being referred. And I'm one of them.

Tell ya what.

Make redders bar exclusively for all the obscure real ales. And inside the ground the tasteless piss.

I've a feeling I k ow which will have less waste.

At least then you can gauge the redders bar for success as a pilot and show the club's it's figures etc

Question is will redders bar take that risk to see if it works?

16. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

Hey we've got the "tasteless piss" as well so we can cater for you ;)

sadbrewer likes this.
  17. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know that mate. I'm just trying to offer a middle ground. Mainly because it seems we have a small group who won't rest until the club only stocks real ale.

And genuinely some people don't like real ales and prefer "witch piss".

Like me :)

Will try and get in redders more often I just need to convince the "OAP"

Hi dad :)

18. Gally

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Im in the "will drink owt" brigade! :)

nezbfc likes this.
  19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Cater for everyone. Its about preference and taste. No reason why can't have all. My only point is to hope people may try other beers besides what they have all the time. maybe out of habit, maybe because its cheapest, maybe because it gets them on the floor quicker, maybe because they love It and haven't found anything better.

I just think the modern beer scene is really really exciting and so much choice at the minute. If people don't want to, that's cool.

20. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley