Altrincham FC

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by BarnsleyReds, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn't that mean that more of my gay friends like football than in the population in general? Which actually supports Conan's point

2. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    =
    I wasn't supporting or arguing against Conan's point with that second comment. Just saying that that using the "X% of my gay/straight friends like football" doesn't adequately argue for/against the point. You like football, so your results are going to be wildly different to someone who's main sporting interest is basketball(for example).

3. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I absolutely love musical theatre. Everybody's talking about Jamie. Kinky boots. Billy Elliot being 3 of the best. and your right in the sense that most straight men see them in a different way when discussing to a gay man. I Would only chose watching Barnsley ( love Barnsley hate football) over those.
    ps. Kinky boots on at the lyceum soon. If you do like musicals. Go and see. ( Brilliant)

4. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I think it would prevent them from doing so. And I think it's naive to think otherwise. And even if an individual felt comfortable playing with peers at a younger age I still think the homophobia within football could lead to doubts about pursuing it as a career. I also think there is non-anecdotal evidence of homophobia in football through incidence of homophobic chanting. Just look at the 2018 word cup. And also the following from a recent survey published on the BBC:

More sports fans (12%) would feel uncomfortable with a rival player joining their club than a gay player (8%)

7% of sports fans would stop watching their team if they signed a gay player

57% of sports fans believe gay players should come out to help others do the same

18% of sports fans believe gay players should "keep it to themselves"

15% of sports fans think having a gay player on a team would make other team-mates feel uncomfortable

50% of football fans say they have heard homophobic abuse, 51% have heard sexist abuse

There are some figures here which suggest that homophobic views are becoming less commonplace. However, there are also some figures suggesting that the issue still needs addressing.

5. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More than you maybe think including me!

6. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It's an interesting discussion. Do you think less gay people are football fans (which I agree with, actually, based on my own friends) because they don't feel accepted (consciously or sub-consciously), or because they just don't like it?