American Football Thread

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tomaiba, Sep 6, 2018.

1. tomaiba

tomaiba Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cleveland Browns.. omg.
    Falcons managed to survive despite three key players injured.

2. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bengals win again :D

3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Browns have had so much bad luck this season and they have only played two games. They need to have to start Baker Mayfield. All I know about him is hearing Jim Ross (who's a Sooners fan) going on about him regularly on his wrestling podcast. He can't speak highly enough of him and how much of a star he's going to be in the NFL. But if you've got the number 1 draft pick you should play them.

tomaiba likes this.
  4. tomaiba

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we can all agree that this rushing the passer rule needs to be changed and fast.

There's far too many penalties anyway, how can you enjoy a play when you never know if it's about to be overruled or not.

5. tomaiba

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Falcons-Bengals this weekend my friend.

thetykester likes this.
  6. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I've just come back from a 2 week holiday in the USA and Canada. In every bar in every place, from tiny villages in the Rockies to downtown Vancouver and Seattle, there's an array of TVs showing American football games. At all times of day, from breakfast at 8am to Kate at night. I don't understand the game and don't want to learn, as there appears to be more action in a chess match, but isn't there anything else to put on? Or just turn the TVs off?

In one bar I was ridiculed for asking if they had wifi. I was shown a sign that said there was no wifi so that customers could chat to each other instead of playing with their phones. Next to the sign was a row of punters silently glued to the TV sets. Only in America...

7. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gooo Bengals :rolleyes:

8. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    TV in America is 50% adverts for weird instrusive medical treatments and 50% adverts for greasy compensation lawyers pointing at you. It's abysmal. Frankly you should be glad American football was on instead

tomaiba likes this.
  9. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Garoppollo out for the season, the worst possible news a 49ers fan could hear.

Season over.

10. Dav

DavidCurriesMullet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was his own fault, should have run out of play. Jimmy and McKinnon both ACL's and big parts of the Shanahan offensive vision. Sherman out as well for 2 weeks. Breida's started like a train though.
    The O line's banged up and not giving any protection to the QB. Fear for Beathard this weekend. D Line still missing a quality pass rusher. Solomon Thomas not living up to expectations. Pass rusher got to be a priorty in the off season. Young Bosa at Ohio state looks a blue chip, can't fail player. But we need a top 2 draft pick to get him. So we need to bomb.
    Because of injuries watch out for Ritchie James this kid looks good. Late draft pick but super fast.
    I'm massive gridiron fan by the way and huge Niners fan.

11. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Am I the only one who understands absolutely none of the above?

12. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me an all.

Didn't Beathard get battered in one of the games last season? Played in 5 games and we lost 4 of them. I was disappointed when Hyde left but like you say Breidas set off like **** off a shovel.

13. Dav

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Y
    Yep he got walloped holding onto ball too long and then the inevitable sack. Though 7 of our losses were by between 2 and 4 points. He wasn't good in pre season either. Mullen the 3rd choice QB played better, though against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I'd be happy with us bombing with grace, get the rookies some experience and get high draft picks. There's some top talent hitting free agency this year. Niners got plenty of salary cap space to attack free agency. Also they structured Jimmy's contract so they pay more 1st 2 years. Most of the 136 million paid up front.
    Breida still another year on rookie contract after this.
    Got to remember this is only year 2 of a complete team rebuild. Don't expect us to be challenging for another 2 years. Rams have get their entire cap on this and next year. Hopefully it all goes belly up and they do a Wednesday massives.

Gordon Owen likes this.
  14. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a shame, as it is a much better sport than soccer. American football players are by far superior athletes. They exhibit greater physical skill than any soccer player, and in a much broader range of disciplines. Agility, strength, mental fortitude, there is not a single soccer player near the physical level of an average NFL, or even NCAA division 1 athlete.

It's a shame more Brits can't recognise this, though of course I understand why. Like a spurned lover, Brits can't accept the superiority of America. They cannot accept that culturally they left us behind long ago. Ergo the need to be critical of anything American. "Only in America". It's a natural defence mechanism, like seeing an ex-girlfriend with a new man, you dismiss his obvious superiority, you'll sit in the pub with your mates and they'll tell you he's a ****, but deep down you know he's a much better specimen than you will ever be. Rather than using it as motivation to try to improve yourself, you tell yourself that you're happy with your lot.

At first I thought that it was arrogance that led people to share their opinion on a sport they are not interested in. I thought they simply could not understand a world where there opinion was irrelevant. But it's the opposite, it's so you can have that mental moment in the pub with your mates, "American football's crap isn't it", "Yeah", but you all really know the truth. You're scared of it, you're jealous of it. You're threatened by it. Manchester United, Arsenal, Fulham, all have owners who own an NFL team. An American owner of an American football team is going to buy the home of soccer, because that's what Americans do. That's soccer's place in the food chain.

15. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Off the field they're far more superior as well, a lot of the football clubs now follow their model.

16. Dav

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Big Sam whilst over in the states saw first hand how superior the NFL's sport science departments were. He was one of the 1st to bring it to our shores with Bolton. Though Wenger was already on the right track back in 1995.
    I think alot of folk just hate the breaks between switches of play. I reckon if they watched redzone they'd soon see why so many Brits watch it.

17. Not The Messiah

Not The Messiah Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They have tried to promote American football over here for many years, and although it does seem to have some increase in popularity it hasn't really taken off, and never will in my opinion. By comparison, soccer as they call it is growing massively in the states, particularly the ladies game. Our football is, generally, far more exciting - I exclude Cardiff from that statement.

18. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just got back from DC - went to two Nats baseball games, then Maryland v Minnesota in the college football on the Saturday and Packers @ Redskins by the Sunday.

Consequently I’m not allowed out to Fleetwood today :-(

19. tomaiba

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How'd you enjoy watching the Packers get dick'd by the Redskins? AP is still a beast. Clay Matthews can't catch a break, the new rule sucks!!

I'm not much of a baseball guy but don't mind going to watch the Giants play when I'm in California.

20. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, l read that in Big Sam's autobiography.