Another Blatant penalty missed by the Ref and VAR

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Farnham_Red, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    push and trip of the Swede just as about to shoot. Even worse than the ones on Kane. Clear and obvious error for me

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's becoming a farce.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  3. kir

kirkhamtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well FIFA aren't going to have Germany going out in the group stage are they.

Tyke Far From Home and twillo like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I didn't know how VAR was going to work, but I think I understand now.

The bigger teams who have a lot of influence and pressure on the referee and as such tend to get more decisions going there way, will have incidents that could result in their favour being referred to VAR, but incidents that could be to their determent, or incidents that could be in favour of smaller teams, won't be referred to VAR.

More decisions by human beings have been added to the game, more subjective decisions are needed, so there's more chance of bias, more chance of pressure and influence having an effect and as such an already unlevel playing field has become more so.

5. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    England are a big team with a lot of influence but the referee refused to use VAR when mane was clearly fouled.

The problem is that there is no point in having technology if the person or people making the decisions are incompetent and the reason they are all so incompetent is because those who rule football have afforded them far too much protection for far too long leading to complacency and an 'I can do no wrong' attitude from referee's.

6. 36 Chambers

36 Chambers Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Corruption, need the FBI back to do another investigation.

7. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would help if there was at least a graphic which appeared on TV and scoreboard to confirm VAR was looking at it and then show the decision.

Edit: They obviously can't do the latter as they have stupidly left the final decision with the pitch ref.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd argue with that. I don't think we are, I don't think we're particularly well liked across the globe at the moment. When something comes down to opinion, a subjective view, we fair very badly. We could enter the best song ever written into the Eurovision song contest, a song that unites nations and brings about world peace, and we'd still struggle to beat Latvia hitting milk bottles with chopsticks.

VAR in itself seems a decent addition. But the use of VAR isn't decided by VAR, it's decided upon by the person who has subjective views, who has prejudices and biases, by the one who didn't give the decision in the first place.

All VAR has done is ensured those who receive the majority of decisions in their favour get a few more.

9. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the mistake people make with VAR is to assume it will prove an indisputable source of truth/fact. In reality, whether a passage of play merits a penalty being awarded is still a subjective opinion - it's just that VAR offers more evidence on which to make that decision.

Merde Tete likes this.
  10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    You probably have a point and there is no doubt that sports like Tennis or Cricket have an advantage here as it’s much more fact based ex pet for LBW which is still possible to model. But we can compare with Rugby and there is no doubt that whilst not perfect the way it’s operated in Rugby Union internationals is steets ahead of what we have in football at the moment. Hopefully as the football one is still in its infancy it will get better in time.
    It’s still better than nothing though as line decisions seem to be working well and I doubt even with today’s system Maradonnas Hand of God goal would have stood and Lampards “Goal” against Germany would have been given

11. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me goal line technology should be extended. It can be used for alerting the linesman instantly if the ball goes out for a corner, goal kick or throw in allowing the assistant to focus his attention on watching the game not staring at the ball. There would be no delay in the game as the technology is already there to alert him within 0.2 seconds as the ball crosses the line.
    Similarly the technology is already there to tell the referee or linesman whether a player is or isn't offside with the officials only having to decide whether he is interfering with play or not.

Id like to see both these technologies brought in and let the officials focus on the other stuff instead of dividing their attention between different jobs