Anyone been to the game?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fitzytyke2, Jul 18, 2017.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Who played well?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

2. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been a decent game , mowatt and moncur bossed the midfield , izzy was excellent , Yiadom prem class. McCarthy man of match . Good run out for all team

fitzytyke2 and Donny Red like this.
  3. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Long way to go yet Connor and probably more players to come in and given that we were
    playing against a League 2 side who themselves are also in transition, we're you enthused
    by what you saw.?

4. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We played with good pace from midfield and looked good going forward , we need more players obviously but nucleus of a good team is there

Donny Red likes this.
  5. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Played well and at a good tempo. Taking into account the level of competition nd forgetting the result it was good to see the fitness improvement in some players such as Mowatt, McCarthy, Izzy. Good link up play with Moncur and Mowat both comfortable on the ball, Izzy and Yids too as well as Mallon and McCarthy. Upfront Payne and Brown did ok but physically need to be stronger. I could see more improvement in the movement, passing and creativity. Some players tired later but a solid work out. Im interested to see when Lindsay will start to get some game time and same for McGeehan.

fitzytyke2, Connor and Donny Red like this.
  6. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We look to have plenty of options in midfield , pace and power too . Hopefully Yiadom stays and we get a good centre forward , plus a few more players before season

Donny Red and fitzytyke2 like this.
  7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  8. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought it was a good game and good run out for the lads. I dont think anyone had an overly bad game, but personally was a bit disappointed with Fryers, thought he got beat for too much by the Cov right winger.

Stand out players for me were, McCarthy, Mallan, Yids, Izzy and Moncur.

Pinnock and Jackson had good games in the defence too, Pinnock looks to have great pace and was very composed in possession.

The 4 strikers that played all showed some good signs but I still feel we need another 2 in.

Sessi also looked a lot better than he did when I last saw him play, did win the ball back very well and played nice simple passes to keep the ball.

Donny Red likes this.
  9. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What was your opinion of Townsend ? I got the impression he had a good game but overall fans have a downer on him & no matter how well he plays, this will not change.

10. NathanBFC94

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Kicking was very poor for me.

He was not really tested a great deal as Cov were a little poor but did make 2 very good saves in first half that I saw. But also on the flip side there were a few hit at him that he failed to catch which was a little worrying. Overall not a terrible game from him though but Davies won't be worried about loosing that No1 spot. But Townsend is certainly a good enough No2.

11. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers, I just get the impression from the message boards, that this lad is swimming against the tide with many, I have not seen enough of him to make a judgement, the only thing I do know, it is probably wise to cut young goalkeepers a bit of slack , as they tend to develop at a slower rate. Wildsmith, who we had on loan from the Wendies, was very raw when he played with us, but now with a another couple of seasons under his belt is developing very nicely & highly thought of.

NathanBFC94 likes this.
  12. NathanBFC94

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do not think he was terrible yesterday and as mentioned he did make a few really good saves. I do think he is a good second choice for us and can do a good job in our side should Davies be injured.

I like to give keepers the benefit of the doubt as much as I can as I spent a lot of time at uni playing in goal so do sympathise with them a bit but Townsend for me is not good enough to start, I think he is a little short as far as keepers go and his kicking and handling leave a little to be desired.

13. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not your archetypal preseason friendly, quite a decent tempo to the game.For me, all our players showed glimpses of their capabilities from a positive point of view (decent passages of play, creating plenty of chances), which you'd hope to see. However, there were also examples of ring rust which you'd expect in such a game (misplaced passes, not picking up opponents, not closing down). All positives & negatives (both individually and collectively) ought to be tempered by the very nature of this type of fixture.
    It was good to have my Oakwell 'fix' again, I've really missed it. A first for me last night was watching the match with barnsley66 from the disabled stand, a very enjoable experience.

Connor likes this.
  14. Nottinghamtyke

Nottinghamtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some quality ball players on display Mallan Moncur Mccarthy Mowett,. Izzy looked better than before Yids was class and needs to be retained. Serious money needs to be on the table not to see him play out his last year on contract. Fryers didnt really impress and didnt appear ready, cought out of position a couple of times. Would have liked to see Lindsey have a run out. Townsend pulled off a couple of great saves. Agreed both Payne and Bradshaw flattered to decieve just hope they can step it up. Brown and Ugbo both showed quality but concerned maybe still to lightweight at this minute in time against strong centre halfs.Would still like to see a big forceful striker who could unsettle defenses join the club. Overall happier than expected. Another pacy winger and possibly an experienced Championship defender wouldnt go amiss. Long did wonders in brining both Mawson and Macdonald on. I just feel Jackson isn't the first name i would put on the team sheet.The fact that i dont need to mention Adam Hammill as one off our better playrers on display shows that we have brought quality into the team. It may take time for the team to settle in, but there is a nucleus of a very good Barnsley side which I am delighted about.Should be a good test against Huddersfield on Saturday afternoon.

15. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was a decent game , hoping we play as well Saturday