Anyone been to Yarmouth?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by royston tyke, Aug 23, 2017.

1. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Never been before and just wondering what it's like for a young family of 4. Kids are nearly 4 and 2. Idea on places to stay, eat and what the beaches are like would be ideal. Basically just need to know if it's worth the journey for my children to enjoy it. Thanks in advance

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got family in Norfolk so been a few times. Yarmouth itself is a bit tired and stale looking reminds me of Bridlington. Beaches are ok. It's a long journey with kids mine are 5 and 7 and it's a fair hike. Norfolk itself is nice and the broads are good. We either usually stay with family on go on the broads. As a purely seaside trip I'd say you would be better off going to somewhere like Filey or down the east coast of Yorkshire.

3. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not for a long while but off in oct half term

4. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Plenty of hotels and restaurants along sea front , enjoy it when we get there , just a bad journey to get there

5. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    When I was growing up, we only ever went in holiday in the UK. Yarmouth was my 2nd favourite place behind Newquay. I was 15 the last time I went (28 now) but it's good for families. All the standard seaside type attractions.

6. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've done the Yorkshire east coast to death this year. Last year went to Bournemouth which was nice. Just fancy something a bit different. Brighton maybe? Suggestions most welcome

7. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Barmouth is good for family's in north wales ,
    Nice beach and plenty to do ,don't know what entertainments like nowadays though .but you can visit interesting places if that's what your into eg Snowdonia, llynn peninsula etc

Sprotbrough Red and Connor like this.
  8. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yarmouth or Great Yarmouth ive been to both...Great Yarmouth ...spent lots of time there when i was a kid, ( 60s) last time i was there was in 85, it was a tad drab and in need of a lick of paint in places lol....keep saying i would like to go back but never get around to it...was a (tw@t of a drive then, these days more cars on the road, so dont know what it will be like now)....that said i revisted Margate/ Clifftonville another place i went as a kid...what a disapointment and a shock to the system that was ....Yarmouth in the Isle of White been there a few times too, that always looked tidy.
    I know none of the above will help ...but i hope you and the kids enjoy it...and bring home as many happy memories has i have of Great Yarmouth

Connor and Googs like this.
  9. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's Great.

Googs likes this.
  10. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not been to Yarmouth in years, though think my mum wants to have a nostalgia trip (she's hinted 3 years running!) so may well be going for a few nights next year.

Depends how far you want to travel and what you enjoy. I usually go away for 4 nights to the south west somewhere. This year had 2 nights in Brixham and 2 nights in Lyme Regis. Not a fan of the bigger faded british seaside resorts, all feels very grim for the most part. Some beautiful coastline down south if you can manage the treck and get off the typical routes.

Dartmouth is pretty, Sennen Cove is stunning on a sunny day (pretty much just beach, but rock pools galore when the tide goes out) and if you are a national trust member (even if not) Kynance Cove is beautiful. St Michaels Mount at Marazion is iconic.

We'll literally just hop from one cove to the next, a national trust place, a beach, a sight and fills 5 days up easily. But if sproglets in tow, it may be a bit much.

11. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wives mum won a holiday to Great Yarmouth few years ago and gave it to us. was in some kind of butlins/pontins type place about a mile out. was when we drew to usa in the world cup so my kids would have been about 6 and 4.

we really enjoyed it, was like a clean Blackpool. The pleasure beach thing was ok for my kids and we found plenty to do in the week. Think one of highlights of kids week was going to a reptile centre during feeding time and watching them eat mice lol. bloke said kids may want to look away but they were transfixed :D

Not sure we would have ever gone if not for it being a prize, but we enjoyed it while we were there.

12. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    North Wales is decent mate.. Llandudno, plenty to do great beaches, Snowdonia National Park on the door step. Chester just down the road nice place bit like York and the zoo Proper castle at Carnarvon... All along the coast is sound apart from Rhyl ... don't go there its a dump. And just a steady 2 hours to get there

Yarmouth is a dog of a drive from here mate... no Motorways going that way..

PM BarnsleyBomber think he drives a cab over that way ill give ya one or two tips..

Sprotbrough Red likes this.
  13. Jim

Jimmy_Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it is indeed Great Yarmouth then its spot on for families with young kids. We went for a week last month with our 3 youngsters (6, 3 and nearly 1) and theres loads of stuff to do.

The beaches as mentioned above are decent although i preferred the ones at Gorleston-On-Sea and Lowestoft which are a short drive away.

Not sure what the hotels are like to be honest but there's plenty of caravan parks to stay in. We stayed in the Park Dean one which had loads on offer for the kids.

Other stuff to do round there....Africa Alive, Thrigby Hall wildlife gardens, Pettits Animal Adventure Park (cracking for kids but a little pricey), Transport Museum etc...

Downside as already mentioned above is the journey and if yours are anything like mine then 'are we there yet' will be the phrase of the week!!!!

14. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great Yarmouth is a nice seaside resort, went about twenty years ago and it was in need of a bit of a spruce up; went again a few years ago and it had been given one.

We stayed in a caravan site just outside in caistor on sea, few minutes drive into Yarmouth itself. Young kids will love it - though young kids love anywhere that has a beach, rides, amusements and candy floss etc so it doesn't really matter where you go. Like you I've done the Yorkshire coast to death, so have done Blackpool, Yarmouth, and skeg a little more recently. When my youngest (2) is a little older I might venture further afield, south coast and maybe south west. Also fancy north wales, never been.

Don't go if you don't like seeing wind turbines though, the road trip has loads (well it would, its all flat and open), and they are also in the sea at and around Yarmouth.

15. Nor

NorfolkRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can speak from local experience! Yarko is a bit like a mini Blackpool minus the tower and a few more Eastern Europeans!

If you like complete seaside cheese then this is the place.

Recommend and if i see you I'll buy you a pint!

shed131 and royston tyke like this.