Approach to Managing Transfers

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Rdo1104, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Rdo

Rdo1104 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not posted for a while but regular, interested reader...

With all the inevitable speculation around who may be involved in transfers OUT of the club it strikes me that there are a few approaches that the club/players could take. I've listed them in my order of preference and wondered what you thought.....

1/ existing player (populate with any or all of Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins, Scowen, Roberts, Bree, Yiadom) signs a new extended contract with the reds

2/ existing player is signed by another club for some of the figures seen in social media (£8m etc.) and then immediately loaned back to us for the rest of the season

3/ existing player leaves for nowt at the end of their existing contract

4/ existing player signs a pre-contract elsewhere for the end of the season - separated this from point 3 as this would possibly change their approach to how they play for us

5/ existing player leaves now for nominal fee

I'm hopeful that the bond between the players and with the club (evident around gestures towards Rimmo and the way the players speak about Hecky) that they will all consider this when making decisions rather than looking purely at money.

All IMO of course

UTR

2. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just taking your last closing sentence.

Bonds are very few and far between.

Example. I was offered a month or so back a different job. 10k more per year. I refused. Because they didn't provide me with a Co. Car (which I get now) and it was purely office based.

That 10k would be swallowed up in juice every day as well as a new car. Currently if I move 1 mile away from my house to work I can claim it.

If they upped it to 20k more. I'd have been off.

Different scale with footballers.

If I was a player. Earning say 5k a week. And someone then offered me 15 or 20k a week. Loyalty doesn't even come into it. And it's hard to say why it would.

Shame but that's the reality.

Best we can hope if a player goes we get them back on loan and continue to pay equivalent of what we did.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    also picking up on

There isnt much loyalty in football - even Hecky would have to drop and then release a player whose form dipped for example. For all players they need to consider how to get the balance right between money, enjoyment and career, especially as a footballer only has 10-15 years as a player. There is value in playing regularly for a reasonably successful side, and one where you can see players are improving under the coaches 2 plusses for Barnsley which dont necessarily apply to sides looking to sign

I bet Mawson enjoyed the second half of last season much more than he is enjoying this season so far but he still probably made the right decision - he is showing he is good enough for the Prem and earning a lot of extra cash -he probably has gone from 5K a week to 15k-20k per week. Others will look at Stones Holgate and Mawson with some envy I am sure ( though for every Stones or Mawson there are 10 Howards Bogdanovics etc who definitely made the wrong move,)

Our out of contract players need to think quite carefully - the contract the club can offer them will undoubtedly be better than the one they are currently on, and there should be little question that Winnall, Hourihane, Watkins are enjoying where they are now, but barring serious injury they will all be in demand in the summer. If Prem sides are after them its really almost a no decision but if not then they need to weigh up how well we perform and are likely to do next season against who else is in for them and how they are likely to do - all a bit of a gamble but if one side is offering double your wages its much harder to stay where you are.

4. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it really depends on the players having faith that the club will honour their word - which is something I think most would believe about our club. As a footballer you can be riding the crest of a wave and then come crashing down to earth due to a bad injury. Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins and others could potentially get huge wages by making the move on a free transfer...but they could also get a bad injury and be out of contract with no club to help them rehabilitate.

If I was in their position, I'd sign a new and improved three year contract with an understanding (or clause) that we will release them if an offer comes in that meets a pre-agreed valuation. That way they have the security of a contract with an excellent club that cares for their well-being and helps them to develop, but also that we won't stand in the way of their ambition. It's happened to a lot of footballers (Butterfield as an example), and it will happen to others. Similarly, are any of them at a stage of their careers where they can afford to sit on the bench of a top Championship club? Certainly not if they have international ambitions like Conor does.

Loyalty in football is dead, but it is in any industry. However, we need to realise that football isn't like other careers - you need to keep developing and be constantly given chances to improve. That's something that players get at our club and they reap the rewards when the time is right.