Barnsley for the Premier League

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by KamikazeCo-Pilot, Jul 18, 2017.

1. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    About time I posted as I don't often do so. I do however observe lots of petty squabbling and name-calling on here so if I might briefly address that... If you/I/we have an issue with a person's post can we discuss the issue at hand rather than resort to the neanderthal, knuckle-dragging abuse that belongs in a different age. It really does show you to be the number cruncher if you abuse someone for their post.. Just don't insult!

On the main reason I have posted.... I have just been on betfair and I have put down bets for BFC to get promoted, get in the top six and get in the top twelve. I think these are canny bets and at this stage if taken up by punters (Betfair is an exchange rather than a bookies) I think they are sensible bets too given the potential odds. The reason I say this is that we have signed several players who have all played at good (not brill) levels generally speaking and, again, overall the places they are coming from look stronger than previous signings for me. On balance, I think the players currently tied down to contracts are POTENTIALLY better than the Mawson, Hourihane, Winnought, Roberts era signings. I may be well off, I may be correct. However, I do think even though my bets may not come off that there are too many doom-mongerers on this site. There is apprehension of course as none of us know how things will really pan out but I genuinely don't feel pessimistic at all. The new signings to me look encouraging. At the moment I would suggest that all BFC fans get positive and excited. Trust the management, trust the players and help get the team up the league. As an aside I am expecting August/September to be tough as bodies settle in but generally speaking I am confident the Reds will do well this season.
    As a further aside, Barnsley are not going to be relegated this coming season so another punt on betfair would be to lay that market...
    You heard it here first.
    Remember this post and quote me in 9 months time........

Red Army, Xerxes, OxRed and 4 others like this.
  2. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you think the heiracy want the reds to go up we had the chance to push last year but the powers that be decided to sell our best assets

3. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    They don't want to go up! Iley out!

For christ sake is it the 1980's in your world?

Marlon, ryhilltyke and Cambridge Red like this.
  4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jeez
    Of course they want to go up.
    There are £100 million reasons they want to go up.
    Unfortunately the players contracts that they have prevented that.
    Personally I would have sold Watkins and Scowen in January

5. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Already got £50 on promotion - £1700 return when we go up!

I wonder what odds we were in 1997

I've got a very positive vibe about hecky's recruitment this year and what we are doing - as I did last year to be fair.

However the one thing which troubles me is the behaviour of the board. However positive you are eventually someone has to say "we have a reasonable chance of getting in the play offs, a reasonable bank balance and a great manager. We do not need to sell players and we are not selling players - we will rely on the manager and the desire to win promotion to motivate those players forced to stay to get us promotion.

In my view we should have gambled last year and kept at least Conor - and maybe this was the argument put forward by Linton Brown - I don't know.

I hope that as the bank balance stays flush as we have seen from the sale of Roberts and potentially Yiadom - that if in January we see we do have a decent chance of the play offs that the board buck the trend of pandering to players agents and think about the fans for a change. And this fan particularly with my £50 on promotion.

6. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The odds for promotion the year we went up were 40/1

7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm generally optimistic, but who do we think will finish below us? With anything like this, it's best to start from the bottom and work upwards.

Bolton - can't see them finishing anywhere other than bottom. Wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in administration either.

Other candidates:

Millwall - looked very agricultural last season, and don't seem to have particularly strengthened. I think they'll struggle, but may have enough to stay up.

Burton - second season syndrome, I don't think they'll score enough goals.

Nottingham Forest - looked utterly woeful last season, still in turmoil behind the scenes.

Ipswich - seem to be a club going absolutely nowhere. They slip a step backwards every season.

Wolves - splashing a lot of random cash. Could go either way.

Sunderland - an awful Premier League side does not a good Championship side make, as Aston Villa proved. They appear not to have much money to spend, and have a lot of rubbish players on big contracts. I think they could really struggle.

Bristol City - rubbish manager, over-paid and under-performing team, lost their top scorer. Things don't look good for them.

Overall, there are a lot of unknowns, and we are definitely one of them. The only team I'd put money on us finishing above is Bolton, and if we can't finish above Burton and Millwall I'd be extremely disappointed, as I reckon anyone who finishes below them is very likely to be relegated. Do I think we'll struggle? Not necessarily, though before Christmas will be tough, and I think we'll leak a lot of goals in the first couple of months. However if we sign Fletcher, I reckon we'll probably be dangerous going forward again as well.

Conclusion -it's far too unpredictable a league to start winging any more than a few quid about.

BFC Dave and Extremely Northern like this.
  8. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On a more realistic note, it's quite amazing that you can still get 11/4 for Middlebrough to be promoted with William Hill. One of the best young managers in the EFL, certainly the best Chairman, excellent coaching staff and parachute money to boot. £15M for Assombalonga yesterday, and whatever you think about the value of that, it sure is a statement of intent. £100 at Hill's price buys your season ticket for Oakwell next season. That's the way I'm swinging!

9. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's that then?