Barnsley scoreboard

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did the club ever state how much the new board had cost? And does anybody know if it is modular or not? ie can you add another panel to the side of it/above it?

And a slightly different question but also related, do you think that the scoreboard we have just bought would fit on the corner stand next to the ponty? By on it I mean on the metalwork above the upper floor?

2. Hom

Homer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is that small it would fit anywhere. Hope it can be enlarged and it needs a new home

3. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Couldn't care less it's only a scoreboard and I can count

4. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No it isn't, it's supposed to be a big screen which shows videos. Does counting somehow help you watch replays?

5. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll have just watched what's happened, there on the pitch in front of me

6. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Noticed replays once at the last game - go to watch live action rather than a screen

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    £399.99 from Argos.

8. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's ability to show replays is irrelevant. As a football club we've managed 130 years without instant replays being shown on a screen.

From a commercial perspective it is too small. Maybe it is modular, and maybe there is something in place for the future. The advertising spaces next to it might have been promised to those companies for x amount of years and the club are waiting for those contracts to expire before they do make it larger. That said, I can't imagine that the structure it currently rests on is stable enough to hold another 5 of those.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's ability to show replays isn't irrelevant when that is what it was purchased to do and that is what we pay a company to produce each game surely?

10. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Let's be honest, it needs to be significantly bigger, I would appreciate being able to see replays, especially involving incidents that happen towards the north stand side of the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The point I was trying to make (admittedly quite badly) was that showing replays has no value in terms of making money. It improves the match day experience if done correctly but I can't see it getting more people through the gates on its own. Advertising appears to be the most beneficial use for a scoreboard in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with that but the advertising revenue is linked to its ability to show replays. If the board is more engaging and grabs the audience's attention better then it becomes significantly more valuable to advertisers.
    To put it another way (in typical shitey supertyke fashion) if itv show a flop which only gets 300,000 viewers then not many people will be interested in advertising during it but if they cancel that show and replace it with a ratings hit that gets £10m viewers then people will be queuing up to advertise on it and for a significantly higher price too. The same goes for the scoreboard, if it isn't utilised to its potential and only gets the odd glance up at it to see how long is left then why would anybody pay to advertise there? If it was engaging and people were regularly looking up to see replays, latest scores from other grounds and maybe even to catch a look at themselves in the crowd then it stands to reason that the advertising space on (and around) the board would become more sought after and more valuable and in turn generate more revenue for the club.

It is telling that since it's introduction i have not seen one single additional advertisement shown on the board that the club didn't already have on board. Sure do Beckett, Palmer, the investment room and so on now get an extra advertisement and their logo shown in big lights but they aren't new advertisers, they aren't paying extra to have their name on the board. There, to my knowledge, hasn't been ANY extra advertisers in that board and that can be down to one of two things. 1. The club's commercial department has failed completely in their task of bringing in revenue to the club or 2. The board is not fit for purpose and purchasing a small board to save a few quid has been shown to have been a total false economy.

Rotherham United's scoreboard MAKES the club money week on week, this is a fact that I was told in an email from Tony Stewart's office, chesterfields scoreboard MAKES the club money, this is a fact from an article/report that I read from chesterfield themselves. Ours COSTS us money. This is a fact based on it bringing in zero advertising revenue (as demonstrated above) but having running costs.

You could be right about the advertising spaces either side of them but I doubt it because the reasons Ben Mansford gave for us not getting a proper big screen didn't include this and surely if it was the case you would simply install the board and give those two advertisers free advertising on the bard itself instead.

One last point, cheltenha! Have crowdfunded and bigger board than we have and the cost is less than £45k (made by industry leading ADI.tv) Just how much of a cheap option did we take when we bought this 15" portable is anyone's guess.

13. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we had replaced our old scoreboard with a much bigger one we could have made significant funds through it. But as it is we are going to struggle to get companies to advertise on it because it doesn't do a good job. Replays they show are hard to make out for a start.

14. Sea

Seattle_Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  15. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I honestly couldn't care less. It was obviously replaced on the cheap, just to shut people up. The whole affordability argument was a loada b0llocks. I genuinely think Mr. Cryne would have kept the old one. I very rarely look at it.

16. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who gives a flying one.

I go to watch the match and we have. A superb team at the moment

17. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you not want Paul heckingbottom to have more funds to spend?

18. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes that's why I wouldn't spend SOMEONE ELSE'S money. On the LUXURY of n a scoreboard

The current ownership are doing a terrific job. Clearly, you think you know better

19. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's the club's money. Not "someone else's".

By your logic, why do we need stands? Sell the lot and play on a playing field. Bring your own deck chair. And flask.

Revenue streams. Who needs em?

20. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yet you happily spent somebody elses money on the luxury of a roof and a PA system and paint on the walls and seats and toilets.

Big screens in football stadiums are PROVEN money makers at clubs of our size and smaller. And in case you didn't notice I mentioned crowd funding earlier so you can ****** with your 'someone elses money' while you're at it.

The current ownership is doing a crap job in lots of areas, decent job in others and great job in others by the way.