Barnsley Teacher thrown off Sheffield University course for branding homoxsexuality a sin

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedKestrel, Oct 3, 2017.

1. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    it is unacceptable. "all those" being normal sane people. dont try to justify 2 wrongs into being right.

2. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wasn't. However, I imagine that there are millions of Christians in the world who share his view. I am not one of them. In any case, what has this got to do with football? I was only trying to point out that football is one of the few sports that has a long way to go to accept homosexual players.

pompey_red likes this.
  3. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sad world we live in.

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    At the risk of agreeing with young nudger here I am a bit concerned about this.

First let me state that whilst I do not agree with him technically he is correct.

Sin only has meaning in a religious context and there is no doubt that the letter of the old testament defines Homosexuality as a sin. It also defines unmarried sex as a sin so should someone who states that in a religious discussion also be thrown off his course?
    (That said having seen Ian Duncan Smiths speech today - maybe they should at least be banned from any public office )

Now I don't know the context and its really hard to get unbiased reporting from the press but if he views homosexuality as a sin - in itself that doesnt seem enough to me to be thrown off a course. Its what he does with that view that is important. If he is acting in a way that is actually harmful to homosexuals - suggesting they are cured or discriminated against or taught that they will burn in the fires of hell for eternity then fair enough - I wouldn't want him on my course either. But if its just a religious discussion it seems acceptable to give that interpretation from the bible.

Its not the words in a discussion forum that are important - its how you act that is. and I am uncomfortable with someone being silenced just because their views dont match the current social norms

There is a lot in the Bible (and Quoran and other religious books ) that has no place in todays world - views on homosexuality, role of women, acceptability of slavery etc but if you cant discuss them in a context of religious education then something is wrong

PLOBBY and BFC Dave like this.
  5. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It does say in the article that he is an RE supply teacher. Is he teaching his views during his lessons? - although that is a completely different matter to expressing his personal views in a discussion outside of the school.

6. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do.

7. Gla

Glavin4 New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment.
    Religious beliefs have no evidence which backs up their claims of the supernatural.
    That's why these beliefs are called "faith"
    Faith is a personal thing and so should remain so.
    If there was the slightest piece of evidence other than what was written by middle eastern stone age peasants to back up his claim then it would not have got him into bother.
    I don't want my kids or grand kids taught by such deluded individuals so in my opinion he should be sacked.

8. Gla

Glavin4 New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment.
    Religious beliefs have no evidence which backs up their claims of the supernatural.
    That's why these beliefs are called "faith"
    Faith is a personal thing and so should remain so.
    If there was the slightest piece of evidence other than what was written by middle eastern stone age peasants to back up his claim then it would not have got him into bother.
    I don't want my kids or grand kids taught by such deluded individuals so in my opinion he should be sacked.