BFC - Release retained list

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Watcher_Of_The_Skies, May 10, 2017.

1. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Released:

Aidy White
    Callum Evans
    Ryan Williams
    Lewin Nyatanga
    Matty Templeton
    James Carvell
    Jake Charles
    Jack Cowgill
    Omari Patrick
    George Proctor

Likely to leave: Watkins & Scowen.

http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/retained-list.-3712258.aspx

2. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing unexpected . Feel a bit sorry for Aidy White tho' . If Josh goes to Preston I think I'll cry .

3. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the up side with no playoffs and knowledge we are safe we can at least have the chance of early negotiations with available players. Last season certainly was amazing but the play-offs do hinder early transfer dealings.

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    No great surprises there, I did wonder whether we may keep R Williams but apart from Fulham away he never did much in his limited opportunities. Such as shame White is made of glass good player but we cant afford players who will only be fit for less than half a season.

Who was Julio Rodrequez should I have heard of him?

As well as getting new players in we should be also trying to agree contract extensions for players with only one year left

5. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Julio was a young lad who came over from a Spanish club. Centre back IIRC.

6. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing surprising there. Only 3 of the players of the 10 listed played any time for us this season and they didn't play often themselves. Hardly great losses. Williams and White are good players but can't seem to stay fit so very understandable that they have been let go.

Big shame about Marley and Josh but inevitable unfortunately. Time to move on and get players through the door

7. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rodriquez is that lad we signed from Sporting Gijon on loan last summer and never played in the first team.

8. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Feel sorry for Aidy White, but his injury record is pretty abysmal, such a shame though as he is more than good enough for this team. Ryan Williams I am pretty gutted about. When on form and fit is one of my favourite players at the club. I know he's had little niggles since his bad injury, but for me after so long out that has to be expected. I reckon a full pre-season under his belt would have done him the world of good and he could have been like a new signing. I just don't think Hecky just had a place for his type of player unfortunately with the system he deploys.

scarf and Andy Mac like this.
  9. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    According to the King of Hemsworth , Rodrequez should have been playing instead of Robbo !!

10. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People were clamouring for Williams to be signed after an average loan spell and he turned out to be a waste of money of what for us is a big amount. White if he could stay fit for an whole season would be playing for a premier league chasing championship club at the least. But because of injuries he's rightly got released and won't find another club at our level. With Watkins and Scowen I sense deja vu. Last season we lost George Williams over a very little petty increase he was asking for and because of it spent God knows how much on the loans of Elder/Jones and buying Kpekawa all of which wasted us lots of time and money to inadequately replace him. My worry is with Josh we could end up spending too much to replace him when it's easier to strike a deal with him.

11. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't argue with it really.

I would've liked to have seen Williams kept as a squad player but understand the reasons behind releasing him.

White just doesn't play enough games. It's a shame as when fit he's a good player & he seems a nice lad so he's not really someone you want to lose but when you're carrying a small squad you need fit players.

No surprise on Watkins or Scowen, was told Watkins has £12k on the table so as soon as I heard that I knew he'd be gone

12. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm in two minds on the potential Marley loss. Love him as a player - he's always given everything, despite not having either a regular position or a regular starting place. But that suggests he would be replaceable, given Hecky didn't apparently know quite what to do with him or how to fit him in to the system anyway. Scowen however, different kettle of fish - does a very specific job, very well.

Either way, big losses both and I wish them well.

13. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obviously Watkins and Scowen will be big losses if they decide the grass is greener elsewhere.

I'd make one observation. Players like Templeton and Cowgill, they have progressed through the academy set up right to the point of knocking on the first team door, only now to be considered not good enough to offer new deals. We have seen minor success recently with our academy outputs with respect to Stones, Holgate and Bree however it's very disappointing to not see more homegrown lads coming through or being given that shot of proving themselves in the first team environment. I'm not trying to knock the club as such as we have seen some great recruitment on a limited budget and our overall wage budget is probably hampering taking a chance by keeping some of these academy lads for a couple of extra years to see if they can make the grade. My question would be whether it is seriously worth keeping the academy setup and supporting this (was it over 1 million per year in base funding?). Is a club like ours on a tight financial tightrope able to support such a luxury function, or would we be better off taking that 1 million plus and sourcing more players externally forming a small reserve squad all fighting for first team places and players who could command that added value for the club should they turn out to be gems?

Kettlewell likes this.
  14. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Minor success!!
    They brought in just over £10 million in the last 4 years with the potential for further add ons from Holgate and Bree - and we got good usage out of the likes of George Smith, George Williams only a year ago as well, I think that counts as a pretty decent success - not to mention the fact we have a good acadamy helps even up and coming players at other clubs view us as a good place to further their career development

Googs likes this.
  15. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm interpreting from the press release that Scowen and Watkins have gone having failed to get the offers that would've made them look at staying, rather than any negotiations continuing And I'm sure someone in the South West will come sniffing around both of them.

I'm a bit surprised Williams hasn't been given another crack, but when you consider how much time he's missed, plus that Mowatt and Moncur both can occupy his most obvious position, its perhaps o surprise.

I understand it, but don't have to like it, that we're starting from pretty much scratch again. Yiadom, Hammill and Roberts have 12 months left, so we've got to get them tied down or look for a fee of note. And i'd be very surprised of Yiadom and Roberts weren't attracting very solid interest.

I put that at 18 players remaining who've had minutes on the pitch for us, but only 6 have made more than 10 appearances for us, and that brings into stark focus how huge a summer this is. I've no doubt we can identify potential players who can do a job for us, because we've been doing it pretty well for a couple of years now. But whoever we sign, I'd expect it will take time to gel and develop a core that did well for 12 months for us. A core that is virtually all gone now.

Ah well.... just another Barnsley summer...

Googs, scarf and Kettlewell like this.
  16. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    George Williams? We signed him from Worcester.

17. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Watkins confirmed he's gone and said good bye on twitter

18. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, I would say minor success on the whole. 4 players in 5 / 6 years I would say is minor success. Going back further Butterfield aside, we didn't really produce anyone of note. George Smith another example of someone we let go too soon I think, he was improving and could put a superb ball into the box when he was allowed to venture forward. I take my hat off to the club for developing those players who have generated valuable funds but where is the next one coming from, based on the fact we have just let go of the two players in Templeton and Cowgill who have even been anywhere near a sniff of the first team. Players won't realise any value for the club if they are not getting exposure to the first team, so unless we are hiding some hidden gems somewhere I can't see where the next homegrown player who will make the first team breakthrough is going to come from. That's the only reason I question whether those academy funds could be use better increasing our 1st team budget.

Kettlewell likes this.
  19. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He didn't knock about. Well it is defo a loss cos his work rate was excellent but on positive is that he has gone now and not the week before the season starts. Gives the club plenty of time to find a suitable replacement. Good luck Marley, but zero luck when you play the reds in future...:(

20. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I think it was pretty obvious what he'd be doing after the transfer request in January. Good luck to him - always gave 100%, even on the final day of the season.