Blades Confident

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by andytyke, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Games are not won on fans forums. One of their key players Richard Stearman pulled a hamstring against Cardiff and is very doubtful. Looks as though former Bradford striker James Hanson is poised to join Scunny.

They are looking at bringing two in before our game on Saturday, defender Darragh Lenihan from Blackburn
    and Wolves captain midfielder Conor Coady. So with injuries and possible new players coming in , we might just be
    playing them at the right time.!

tinatyke likes this.
  2. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Newport County came to Oakwell theyd say they should be beating The Likes of Barnsley.

3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

4. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Hope it's 'Thiams like Barnsley' after Saturday.

5. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Good effort :)

Exile likes this.
  6. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Im always interested when a new player makes his debut for us, but when its a new striker thats a bit extra isn't it. And Im keeping my fingers crossed that this Thiam (the new Balotelli) will be raring to cut up the Blades. And I never normally call them that, its Blunts isn't it. lol

7. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Saw them last night.
    We dominated the first half but only managed the one goal despite several chances.
    Continued pressing in the second half & scored the crucial second.
    Unbelievably, something I'm not used to, we carried on going at them.
    In fairness, some solid defending, mixed with a bit of luck and some poor finishing, kept the scoreline down.
    Warnock then made tactical changes to see out the game - during which time they had their best spell and put us under sustained pressure for about 10 minutes.
    They lacked a cutting edge big time though. Sharp missed a gilt-edged chance for them and our keeper pulled off a few showbiz saves but that was it. Clarke (?) - barely noticed him and as for Ched Evans, not sure he's capeable of playing at this level.
    As for being bullied as some have suggested in this thread, don't make me laugh. They're the smallest side (Clarke apart) that I've seen in years. And when you have Lee "it's all about me" Mason happy to go along with their play acting, they took full advantage to play the victim card. They went down quicker than Jack Grealish - which is staggering.
    Believe me, I would have liked nothing better than to have bullied Sheffield United and pointed to karma but, unfortunately, that wasn't the case.
    In the first half, I commented that that's one of the relegation places sorted but they were better after half time. Team spirit seemed good, not surprising after their recent promotion.Think their squad could be an issue over a long season in terms of quality.

DSLRed, Connor, andytyke and 4 others like this.
  8. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the insights Jeff, and good to see you on here again after a long while!

What do you think your chances are this season? Obviously you've made a cracking start, which to be honest I didn't expect after seeing you at our place last season which was absolutely painful! I suppose it was reasonably par for the course for a Warnock team scrapping for points. Maybe without the spectre of relegation looming the team will be playing with a lot more freedom. Do you reckon you'll be able to keep it up? I just noticed you're allegedly interested in Omar Bogle, which I was rather surprised about.

9. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With all due respect Samba, I think it's a great time to play them. I think that every other team in the division will still be trying to work us out. What they will see is a club that has lost quite a few star names and replaced them with kids. What we know, particularly after the last two games is that that squad has talent in abundance and a work ethic to match. Thiam is a totally unknown quantity, but if he couldn't fit into Hecky's system I don't think he'd be here. I've posted elsewhere that the current odds for us to win this game way underestimate our chances. But the more I think about the setup of this match the more I'm becoming confident about us winning it.

#thelittlemesters v #teamslikebarnsley !!!

Marlon and Donny Red like this.
  10. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was disappointing to lose against Ipswich particularly as we were the better team in the
    first half and as many have already commented if we had taken the chances we made, we should have
    been out of sight by half time. For me, the win against Forest has put a different complexion on our
    possible future aspirations. Having now seen two home performances, you can detect that
    our supporters are starting to warm to this new group of players and that a feeling of optimism
    might be readying itself to replace some of the early gloom and doom that seemed to be starting to envelop us.

The roar at the final whistle on Tuesday was good to hear. I honestly believe that in another
    five or so games at Oakwell and with everyone who is going to be a regular in the team hopefully restored to full fitness,
    we are going to see the emergence of a side capable of mounting a real challenge at the right end of this division.

Connor, Marlon and tinatyke like this.
  11. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We should get a plane to fly over Derby matches with the banner 'teams like Barnsley' it can be surprisingly cheap to do

Merde Tete and Donny Red like this.
  12. SM_

SM_it_is New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. Brewery stand

Brewery stand Well-Known Member

Real Estate
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "Teams like Barnsley", "Punching above their weight". All makes me laugh! The people that say that don`t even realise that we have spent more time in the 2nd tier of English football than anyone else, so the Championship is bang on where we should be. Just saying!

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Paige Hall mate Paige Hall if you want to discuss shitholes. Did you really think it worth spewing out such puerile Ill informed drivel. Of course we don't employ abusers of women so maybe we won't fit into the glamorous denizens of Bramhell Lane.

15. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't think anyone would notice I'd gone lol. I have logged on from time to time but I'm chock a block these days with grandkids & other family issues tbh.

With regards Cardiff, I think we'll be ok this year, just outside play-offs. Could even be dark horses to sneak in.
    We finished 12th last year and, given our start under Paul Trollope, that was remarkable. By the time we played you at yours, we had nothing to play for & Warnock was chopping & changing to make decisions on players futures.

We've addressed weaknesses in our side and I'm now happy with the bench, let alone the first team - and so is NW judging by him making 3 changes from the side that thrashed Villa. We've held onto important players in Manga, Morrison & Zahore, the last two being subject to significant offers.

But the biggest change in us this season is pace. Haven't had it for years & it's refreshing to see that and the fantastic team ethic. Not sure about Bogle tbh, but hear he's another with pace. If Warnock can turn him around like he's done with Zahore then he'll do fine. Zahore is good, very good.

We're in far better shape than the season we won promotion to the Prem (when we were top from November onwards) and, whilst I didn't enjoy the "workmanlike" performances then, it's very enjoyable since NW took over. Playing the best football I've seen since Dave Jones. And I never thought I'd say that!

16. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    That's embarrassing, for you. Not even remotely funny.

17. SM_

SM_it_is New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry you feel that way

18. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So would anyone with the ability to read.

19. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's very interesting that you should say that about the quality of football under Warnock. A great manager without any question, even if I want to punch him in the face every time he opens his mouth! However, his reputation for putting out dour teams which eek out 1-0 wins whilst winding up the opposition and playing anti-football definitely goes before him. Dave Bassett had a similar reputation when he came to us, yet under him we scored 100 goals and nearly went up. Granted he had a very talented squad, but John Hendrie had led largely the same set of players to 16th the season before, so he obviously did something right. Apart from selling Arjan De Zeeuw, possibly the best uncapped Dutch centre half ever to play in the Premier League, and "replacing" him with Steve Chettle and David Tuttle, who had a combined age of 143. But that's another story, for another day. Still boils my piss though, as we'd have gone up automatically with De Zeeuw in the team, in my very humble opinion.

20. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Could you not think of any thing original??