Boxing (contains spoiler)

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by icer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let's be honest ...modern heavyweight boxing is little more than a joke.

2. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You trying to say Fury delivers entertainment in the ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Joshua's better than Fury?

Jesus Christ. Joshua just got wobbled by a guy not even top 30 in the world & Fury's just gone & widely out pointed the previous best heavyweight on the planet.

And Joshua's promoter won't let him near any of Fury, Haye, Klitschko, Wilder, Povetkin, Pulev & Martin this year. I'll guarantee it. Not ready

4. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was pre-planned but they should've gave up on it when Spilka ended up on a stretcher. It was all a bit cringeworthy after that.

It's all about ppv sales.

Fury says controversial things because to win fights he has to fight safety first using his height & reach so therefore won't be exciting in the ring so has to build fights other ways.

5. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Furys been put down by some absolute bums in the past so Joshua's 'wobble' is nothing.

Hearn does right, Joshua doesnt need to rush, he should take his time and build slowly but we all know that in 12-18 months Joshua will be World Champion whoever he takes on, I think that much is obvious.

6. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on. Fury doesnt offer the excitement in the ring that Haye and Joshua do.

7. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Duplicate

8. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

9. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What difference does the shape theyre in make to whether or not they can take a punch? AJ was hurt no question but he proved he could take it and get back behind his jab until he was ready to go again. Was a big tick on the paperwork for me.

10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Conditioning makes a massive difference when it comes to punch resistance.

Tyson Fury didn't take many flush right hands against Klitschko but he took a couple of beauty's in rounds 5 & 11 & walked through them and Klitschko's a huge puncher.

Fury got knocked down by Pajkic & Cunningham who aren't even big punchers by heavyweight standards.

You only have to look at the shape of him in them fights to see the reasons why

11. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's the best it's been since around 2000 when Lennox fought Holyfield.

You've got Fury, Klitschko, Povetkin, Wilder, Haye, Martin, Pulev, Ortiz & Jennings.

Put any of them in with each other & you've got a quality match up.

Hopefully Joshua & Hughie Fury can get in the mix too.

12. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Admittedly I'm out of touch with the game now, and three of those names mean nothing to me, but it seems unlikely to me that Klitscko at 40 years old with his wide and varied other activities is a patch on the fighter he was a few years ago, I think that's borne out by his defeat to Furey a fighter who looks to me as though he would have been comfortably seen off by any of the top ten or more american fighters of the 60's 70's 80's or 90's.
    Perhaps I am wrong but I'm inclined to think the current standard is very low.

13. Whi

Whitey Guest

Other than his world title fight, where he fought tactically to win unanimously in the champions backyard, all Fury's fights are entertaining/exciting. And had Wlad not grabbed hold of him every ten seconds, he'd have still KO'd him. In fact, as dull as the fight was in terms of action, it was still very much an entertaining and dramatic fight to watch. To go over there and do what he did? Wow. I still can't believe he pulled it off.

Much better fight than Haye gave us against Wlad. And let's not forget this classic......

[video=youtube;Ln2nmaKIvKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln2nmaKIvKk[/video]

That first round (from five minutes in...) is the worst round of Boxing I've ever watched.

Joshua is exciting to watch, definitely. Because he's fighting bums that he can spark out early doors. Explosive. But as soon as he stepped up last time out, he was shown up to be really limited (at this point in time) and Fury would have him for breakfast. Right now. So maybe you're right and that wouldn't be as good a fight because it would be one sided. Haye vs Joshua won't happen any time soon I don't think. AJ is a cash cow and they won't risk that by putting him in with someone as dangerous as Haye. I might give Haye **** on here, but that stems from his pulling out of fights and the way he speaks. I just don't like him. But he was a terrific cruiserweight and even at heavy he was one of the best at that point. He'd be too quick and too powerful for AJ to handle right now, assuming Haye's as fit as he reckons he is.

All good debates though. Interesting year coming up.

14. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You say AJ fights bums but take away an ageing Wlad and who has Fury fought? And looked very ordinary in beating said nobodies. Haye would knock Fury around the ring, think most boxing fans know that, it was just unfortunate we never got to witness it because of Hayes injuries. Whether or not Fury genuinely doesnt want to fight Haye because of his 'backing out' or that he knows Haye is now possibly back to his best is up fir discussion.

AJ would clean Fury up in 4 right now aswell. Too big and powerful for Fury to cope with.

15. Whi

Whitey Guest

Yep, Tyson fought bums. Every up and coming boxer, fights bums. It's not a dig at Joshua.

Tyson beat Chisora, twice. Undefeated Chisora at the time of his first victory, then schooled the **** out of him the second time. He can only fight the fights he's given, opponents who want to fight him. He was ready to fight Haye, twice. And twice Haye backed out. Injuries or not, he backed out. Not Tyson. Haye. So why would he give him a third chance, now that he's eclipsed Haye's achievements? If Haye gets into a mandatory position, different story and I'm sure Tyson will take the fight as it's a huge fight financially. We'll see. But it's not up for discussion whether he's backing out or scared of Haye. Remember, Haye pulled out, twice. Not Fury. And Fury has just beaten one of the all-time greats, in his own backyard, unanimously. I don't think 'scared' is an adjective I'd use when discussing the great, Tyson Fury. And were they to get it on, I would expect Tyson to win. But Haye has a punchers chance.

AJ would not clean up Fury, in 4 rounds. AJ right now would be schooled. Tyson's too quick, too big, too experienced and even AJ and his own people will tell you that.

16. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The big problem for the past 15 years was that there was nothing other than at first Lewis & then after he went both Klitschko brothers dominated & then Wladimir Klitschko on his own with little competition.

What we've got now is no dominate champion but 7 or 8 pretty decent fighters who all are capable fighters & will be in good fights with each other if they happen.

Klitschko's definitely slipped a bit but also Fury was his first opponent that was taller than him & had a longer reach which I think was a bigger factor.

17. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with everything you've put but it's worth noting that 'allegedly ' all Haye's friends & family had big money on round 3 & that's why there was no action beforehand because he knew the first right hand he landed would KO Audley

18. Whi

Whitey Guest

I watch that first round and it's like a sketch from Monty Python, Big Train or the Fast Show. It's ridiculous, but amusing.

19. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And allegedly, Klitschko's 'entourage' had a stack load of cash on him losing on points because his training camp didn't go to plan.

Don't believe it for a second like, but the Russians and Ukranians have been claiming it.

20. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not much quality in there though is there? I could quote ten Super Middleweights and say 'put any together and you've got a quality match up', but doesn't mean the division is good or exciting.

Martin will get found out. Pulev had his chance and got absolutely destroyed by Klitschko (and isn't exciting anyway - did you see the Tony Thompson fight?), and Jennings had that one big performance against Klitschko, but was then brutally knocked out by Ortiz. He isn't coming back anytime soon.

You've realistically got Klitschko, Fury, Wilder and Haye. Povetkin as an arguable fifth. But at the moment, the others are either relatively poor, or still unproven like AJ and Parker from New Zealand.