Boxing (contains spoiler)

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by icer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That sounds like complete ********. He wouldn't have gone as desperate as he did in the last round if he was happy to lose on points

2. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's all about opinions. I think Jennings would beat Wilder.

You say Povetkin as an arguable 5th but to me he demolishes Wilder.

Pulev v Thompson was more down to Thompson. He's bad to watch. At least Pulev went all out for the win against Klitschko compared to most opponents who settle for a points loss.

Even if there were only 5 good contenders that's still better than what it's been for at least 15 years if not longer

3. Whi

Whitey Guest

In related news, Peter Fury yesterday said they were looking at May for the Wlad rematch and that all venue options were still open but that London was the favourite. He also went into detail as to why they don't like Haye and why he'd only get a shot at Fury were he to get into a mandatory position, he also reckoned Haye would be beaten before then. Tyson wants to KO Wlad, then unify the division by beating the winner of Martin/Wilder. All sounds fair enough to me.

And Hughie will be out in March against a top fighter who'll be massive favourite, it will be on the same bill as Eubank/Blackwell.

4. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely agree (hence the 'don't believe it for a second' comment).

But some serious Russian players were touting that story after the fight.

5. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In other related news, over 3 million people watched the Haye fight on Dave. Was impressed by that. 14% of total freeview audience on Saturday night. Regardless of opinion, he's the kind of crossover star boxing needs and I'm glad he's back. He's literally begging for the Joshua fight today with the pound signs in his eyes.

Povetkin/Wilder is next for Wilder though. Martin's belt could end up being passed around a couple of times before any of the current champs get to unify it. I'm sure Fury wants to KO Wlad next time, but his tactics were so spot on I doubt he changes his style for the rematch. Love it to be in the UK though. Didn't even think we were an option.

6. Whi

Whitey Guest

I love watching Haye. Yes, his first round vs Fraudley was bad and he choked against Wlad, but he's an exciting fighter, and talented as ****. Because I think he's a knob is irrelevant, and being a huge Tyson fan I ideally want to see them fight one day.

No way will AJ or his team have him anywhere near Haye. He's so slow and rigid right now that either of Haye or Fury would embarrass him. In my opinion. But yeah, I don't see Fury/Haye happening either, without a mandatory. So you're looking at Dillian Whyte against Haye maybe? And Chisora vs AJ.

Wilder and Martin looks odds on this year. But won't sell many. Says everything about how 'good' they really are. I think the yanks prefer our boys.

And aye, Peter is a straight talker as I'm sure you'd agree, and he reckons nothing has been struck regards venue or TV yet, but that it's all signed off as a definite fight, and it looks like end of May. He and Tyson are happy to fight anywhere, but ideally over here where it's worth more money, and failing that, America. I'd be disappointed if it's in Germany again. It'd look bizarre actually.

It's Tyson's division, in my opinion. Until Haye gets a shot (and even then I'd back Fury) or AJ learns. The rest don't convince me. Wilder, Martin, Povetkin etc.

And I'm genuinely just as excited about Hughie as I was Tyson a few years ago.

7. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love the enthusiasm, and tbf you can only beat what's around, but these guys wouldn't have lasted long with a Frazier, Ali, Holmes,Tyson, Norton, Foreman, Shavers, Holyfield or an absolute stack of others in years gone by.

8. Whi

Whitey Guest

You're probably right. Although it's like comparing current footballers to Van Basten, Maradona, Moore etc. Pointless really. For right now, this is about as good as it's been for Heavyweight boxing since Lennox retired. Tyson Fury dethroning Wlad was the best thing that could have happened.

9. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chisora is fighting Helenius for the European Title next, and then wants to fight White. Not sure Chisora wins the Helenius fight so the latter might not happen.

Wilder is a decent draw in the States. They love him. They like AJ. Mock Haye for the 'little toe' debacle. And think Tyson is a bit of an idiot, but like you love the unpredictability. Wouldn't say they love our boys more than their own though. Wilder is the real deal in their eyes.

10. Whi

Whitey Guest

Shame then. Because he really isn't.

Agree on Helenius too.

11. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Black American's really struggle to build a following in the States.

There were 2 heavyweight title fights on Saturday night in the same venue in Brooklyn & they couldn't shift 10k tickets.

Apart from Mayweather they just don't get behind them.

Bradley, Ward, Crawford, Wilder, Martin, Dirrell, Charlo, etc.

But Mexican's & Puerto Rican's are big business in the States. Barmy really.

12. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They struggle to build a following with the boxing casuals across the whole country, but in their own states and home towns have big followings. Wilder is huge in Alabhama. Crawford is huge in Oklahoma. And Ward is almost there in Oakland.

Bradley wouldn't have a big following in the UK either due to his fighting style. Take the Provodkinov fight away and he's as boring as they come.

13. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's down to purse bids, wouldn't be that odd if it's in Germany once more.

14. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most on that list are too small and would struggle against a giant like a prime Lewis or a prime Klitschko or even Fury. I expect to be ridiculed.

15. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Certainly not going to ridicule your opinion, but Lewis lost to McCall, Holyfield and Rahman..none of them giants. I agree a prime Klitschko would have been a tough proposition, but I think all the ones mentioned would hit too hard for Furey's chin.

16. Whi

Whitey Guest

Peter came out again today, reckons the UAE want it over there, but ideally it'll be in England. I don't see it being in Germany again. If it did, that's Wlad done. Two defeats in his own backyard.

17. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Difference with Lewis is he went and absolutely demolished McCall and Rahman in the rematch. One of the only heavyweights in boxing history to defeat every single fighter he has ever faced. Most of any era would struggle with Lewis.

As for him losing to Holyfield. Come on? Really? He never 'really' lost that first fight, despite what the records say.

18. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't lose to Holyfield (very dodgy draw first time out). Ali fought at 14st, Frazier, Shavers same, that's giving away best part of 4st. I'm not a massive fan of Fury, but he's huge and beats any 14st man in a boxing ring.

19. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Furey was decked by both Cunningham 36yrs old and Pavkic 34yrs old, both of whom fight at a similar weight to most of the fighters I mentioned.
    I think to say he's huge and beats any 14st man is presuming a bit, I agree there is the old adage that a good big un beats a good little un, the question is, is he a good big un?.... On the other hand they say it takes a good fighter to get off the canvas and win!!
    Obviously it's purely a matter of opinion, but I can't really see Furey lasting past two rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime?

20. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isnt David Haye about 14-15stone? He'd box Fury around the ring before KO'in him. Fury's too clumsy and rigid and we all saw what Haye did to an even bigger giant in Valuev who was about as good as Fury.

Also, Lewis for me is in the top 3 of all time. Never gets the recognition he deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk