Bradford's cheap season ticket strategy... worth a read.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mr Badger, Mar 7, 2017.

1. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Which school?

Btw Barnsley getting promoted coincided with the start of the Super league and Fev Rovers being dumped out of the league despite not being in relegation places (11th out of 16 I think) loads got really pissed off and stopped watching Featherstone, then got season tickets at Oakwell.

I could go out in Featherstone and chat with loads of people about Barnsley, but gradually the numbers have dwindled. Too expensive, pissed off with selling players and sacking managers. Though people I talk to do still look out for the results.

I'm sure some could be tempted back

2. too

toontyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From 'whoateallthepies' website - looking at what happens if everybody supported their local team:
    [​IMG]

3. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oops, I don't think you've took into account that a very large proportion of our ST sales are already free tickets and concessions.

4. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read reply above, we give a lot of our tickets away already. Even if we made a slight loss for one season we'd probably increase our sales for the following years

5. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly Bradford rolled out their offer just after their promotion season and great cup run.

Maybe we could have tried it at the beginning of this season and try and pull in some of the fans from Wembley it might have had a chance.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

6. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry but that analysis is wrong. You maximise other revenue streams as the article states. They have sold 10, 000 shirts for example. Our problem is that we are so woeful at marketing that it's unlikely we could look at creative solutions to making up the shortfall. If done correctly you need to attract an increased number of fans (not double) and take commercial advantage if this which should see. Your income increase not decrease

MDG likes this.
  7. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well hopefully an SLO will let us know what's being done if anything to get our ground back to full capacity. Food choice is terrible i'd never eat at the ground. Crawshaws butchers in the centre of Huddersfield I can get one of around 14 warm baguettes and around 8 sauces to choose from with crisps or a chocolate bar for 2.50 so there is no incentive to eat at the ground even if I wanted to hand over more money. Nothing to stop ball boys or stewards being given a sweeping brush to brush puddles onto the gravel track, no need to spend thousands on new drainage. Not all 23k seats need washing but when people walk down the rows to pick up rubbish, if they see a seat covered in anything clean it off. Get some local schools to draw/paint pictures for the walls so we don't have to look at breeze blocks. Buy some new handryers. Get the ground used more around the year because if Donny can get gigs there from big names like Elton John, surely we can. Get fans input into merchandise ideas like we used to with t shirts.

8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are reasons why none of that would work at Oakwell. Don't know what they are but it's just not worth even trying.

9. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    West Brom are currently advertising for a Head of Marketing to work alongside their Head of Commercial Operations. No salary advertised.
    Do we have anyone in either of these posts? I know they're Prem before anyone jumps on that, but we are capable of having a Prem structure at lesser remuneration. How much would either of these roles pay at a Championship club?

10. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm sick of asking the same question and I never get an answer.
    Some years ago there was a young lady in Commercial, she left and I believe Linton Brown took her place. The rest is history.
    Until we get someone back in marketing who can empathise with the public in all things BFC then we will always fall short.
    As for having concerts at Oakwell, well, the seats are made of the wrong plastic and they all face the wrong way, plus Mrs Wotsit at number 3 doesn't like Elton John so that's scuppered the lot. Excuses, excuses.

11. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apropos of nothing, Sunderland are charging just £50 for U16 season tickets next season.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

12. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apologies for resurrecting old threads. Huge billboards gone up all over Bradford for their ST offer. Seen them as far north as Skipton, and in Elland, traditionally Huddersfield/Halifax territory. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had we gone for this immediately after the Wembley double - feelgood factor and all that. Circumstances like that come along once in a blue moon - I fear we missed an obvious opportunity.

13. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please don't go breaking my heart.
    Cpmments like this are just a candle in the wind and don't expect anyone to say sorry otherwise you will be in for a rocket man.
    And all this all seated stadium.
    I'm still one for standing.

14. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Give over !!
    We can't do that, that's too much like clear thinking.
    However I do remember many, many years ago when the matches at Barnsley were advertised on posters all over the area.
    Doubt we could even do that nowadays without cocking something up. Let's face it, BFC either don't know what to do or don't want to do it at all.

15. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't get over the people that simply dismiss the idea of drastically reducing the price of a season ticket in order to boost crowds and the additional revenue that can be generated through larger numbers of people attending the matches. Such a shallow view just saying it wouldn't work without any real reasoning. Barnsley defo has a big enough catchment area for provision of championship football at the right price for many stay away fans. We have the Barnsley district itself, Wakefield who don't have a league team, draw support from surrounding towns like Rotherham and Donny. Attract football fans from Sheffield who may not want to shell out the cost of a season ticket at Wednesday or Utd.

With more people in the ground, we could attract better sponsors. Staying with the current strategy shows no real vision. If numbers are high, house home fans in the North Stand and give the away fans a section of the old west stand..

16. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A couple of season ago when we reduced prices for a game I posted the advert for it on Facebook. I know three people from Fev (non Barnsley fans) who saw my post on facebook took their kids to their first ever football game.

If the chub advertised games around wakey, Fev, ponte I believe they could increase the support.

17. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    149 is less than half price of Ponty season ticket price which means we would have to double our season ticket salesno make the money we are now and still losing money. Don't think we have 22000 home seats

18. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We already give a lot of our tickets away for nowt. Factor that in and we don't need to sell anywhere near 22k

19. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Say we sell 9,000 at 300 - 2,700,000 with 2000 given away that's 2,700,000

Sell 9000 at 150 that's 1,350,000 with 2000 at 50 - 100000 - 1,450,000 - short fall of 1,250,000 - even if you sold remaining seats at 150 each - which you wouldn't it would still be a short fall on season ticket income now.

We are currently losing money - at Bradford prices we would lose more

20. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And get astronomical amounts of money from what I suspect will be parachute payments