Brentford have made a bid for Pinnock

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by twillo, Jan 23, 2019.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The spreadsheet highlights the players it doesn't tell you when and how much to sell for.

2. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I dont....because his replacement would be some 19 year old from cowdenbeath reserves.....who takes 18 months to "bed in".
    Why cant we just turn down offers and see what happens in the summer?
    All these players will be worth more.....surely they can wait 4 months....then count their lovely cash.

3. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think your right Jackson and Lindsay would be the best option if he leaves. Played with each other before know each other's games. Anything less than 5 million would be poor from the club. He is our most valuable asset and has looked a class above this league, he has a long contract and forest green have a sell on. If our ambition really is to get back to the championship we don't want to be selling the ones who can make the step up.

anstonred and Connor like this.
  4. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    IF we get to the Championship (and we should with the current squad) we would need to strengthen the squad with more Championship standard players anyway. Selling one we already have i.e. Pinnock would make little sense as he would have to be replaced like for like and inflation and wage demands from new players joining a Championship team would mean a net loss . The only situation that makes any sense of selling him at this time would be if we were to remain in League one. But then we lose the additional revenue of being in the higher league. I cannot believe the owners with their business acumen would fail to see that.
    Winkler going (if true) is a big enough blow as we are breaking up a winning management team. Huddersfield, may currently have more money and be in a much higher position but I believe, even with their parachute money, we are in the ascendancy and they are on the way down. It is not that long since we were competing on equal terms.

anstonred and redrum like this.
  5. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm trying to remain positive and hope that we don't lose anyone between now and February.

The consensus seems to be that we will because we always do, but somewhere along the line we have to stop or a least curb what we keep doing, otherwise we'll never move forward.

Both Winkler and Pinnock have a great chance of playing in the championship with us next season. I think both should stay until the end of this one at least.

6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I agree with you mate I try and stay positive it's okay keep finding these young stars coaching them and making profit but they need to be here long enough to achieve something with us otherwise what's the point for us fans. Patrick turned down a bid from Leeds for winnall when we were last promoted pinnock has a long contract I'd just like them to grow a pair and say no for once.
    I listened to Thiams interview on Deane fm last week he said the whole squad were gutted to see Potts leave as he was a good player for us but he said they picked them selfs back up and got the win v Bradford and they are all focused on getting promoted. It's not just losing the player it's the effect it will have on the whole of the squad.

anstonred, Connor and fitzytyke like this.
  7. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was told that we had turned down several bids for Potts. Preston had been after him for some time.

8. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

To be fair we did turn down 1.5 million last summer for him so we got more than 1.5 million in lead to believe. I did like Potts but I believe we still have the players capable of top 2. If we lose our best defender that's diffrent.

9. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I’d edge my bets and say he’s going nowhere in January . June / July maybe but hopefully we promoted and give him a decision to make

10. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Hope your right selling our best players in January would go against the big we are going for a straight return to the championship spin before the season started. We can do much about Winkler unfortunately.

Marlon likes this.
  11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't the point of longer contracts that it gives us more control? Why then would we even consider selling our best players in January when they would still be under contract in the summer when we might be in a much better position to tempt him to stay. If this is confirmed then it really will signal the intentions of our owners.

12. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

If Brentford are that interested, other bigger clubs will be too.

The money is right, but the club is probably not a big step forward for him.

Anyway, do Brentford have that kind of money? Thought they were half way through a new stadium build?

13. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    M
    Imo the Winkler story is a done deal based on nothing other than it’s got to the official approach and it doesn’t get that far without certain phone calls and confirmations etc in private. Imo

14. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we've been a little bit more incisive since he went. Probably coincidental.

15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Spot on or on the other hand longer contracts mean we can demand more money

16. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    A mix of more control and more scope to obtain a higher fee.

Lets see what unfurls, a bid has most likely been tabled given the source, but the lack of other info to date suggests it may not have been entertained maybe even rejected. We didn't know bids had been turned down I the summer til much later.

But agree, IF, Pinnock does go. That's not good at all.

17. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I get the more money aspect but weakening our team and missing out on promotion has to be factored into the overall value of a transfer.

anstonred, Connor and fitzytyke like this.
  18. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, you would hope that getting out of this league gets priority.

Connor likes this.
  19. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As fans all we can hope for is that the board have a similar level of ambition that we have.

Connor and fitzytyke like this.
  20. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree and the frustration it has on us supporters selling our best players each Jan and what makes it worse they still have a long time on their contracts

Connor and MarioKempes like this.