British Sign Language

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Stahlrost, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    This might sound like a daft question, but honestly I've no experience of this so as ever I'm asking the BBS for help. My German stepson works with severely disabled children in Germany, and he uses sign language to communicate with many of them. He wants to come to Barnsley to improve his sign language skills and he's asked me for help. Barnsley College do courses, but I've really no idea how sign language works.

For example, is it language based? If someone can sign to a good level with a German speaking child, would they be able to sign to an English speaking child, or would they need to learn an English version of sign language? Any info would be very useful, I'm trying to find out what level of course he would need to go on.

I know I'll get the odd daft reply, but if anyone knows more about this subject please help. Cheers lads and lasses.

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s no worldwide sign language ‘language’, all countries are different to each other and some countries don’t have it at all (and some have more than one). That’s why ours is specifically referred to as ‘British Sign Language’.

3. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Thank you, I did predict it would be a "daft question"! That explains why he wants to come to England to learn the British version.

I've been in touch with Barnsley College and they won't know what course they are running until August, so I'll fob him off until then. You Reds!

4. Red

RedMonk Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've learnt all mine off Mr Tumble. :D

DSLRed, Shy Talk and selby like this.
  5. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Might be worth contacting one of the deaf charities in the area. I'm sure they would appreciate help and he could improve his skills in a practical environment - even just a week

Or even Barnsley Council - https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/adult-skills-and-community-learning/british-sign-language-bsl/

6. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries, it’s not daft. There’s tons and tons of stuff online so he could always get a head start until then. Depending on who he is planning on using it with Makaton is popular here with young children and those with learning difficulties and is often used alongside some spoken language. It is used very frequently in mainstream and special schools. BSL is used with the deaf community more generally where a deaf person wouldn’t struggle to learn and communicate in the more complex language.

You can check out the Makaton website here and it may answer some of your questions. https://www.makaton.org/aboutMakaton/makatonWorldwide

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Mr Tumble actually uses Makaton, which comes from BSL. Makaton is designed to help hearing people with learning or communication difficulties. It uses signs and symbols, with speech, in spoken word order.
    It played a very large part in turning my non verbal 6 year old autistic son into a 8 year old who never stops talking.
    Funnily enough my son never liked Mr Tumble but me and the wife would watch it all the time as it was a nice easy way to learn the signs.

Rosco likes this.
  8. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Thanks all, I've sent him the links. He wants to study in Barnsley as I suspect he may well be offered free accommodation, but he's a bit frustrated about having to wait until August to find out about courses starting just a couple of weeks later.

As far as Mr Tumble is concerned, we could do with a few more penalties, so gerrim signed.

9. Red

RedMonk Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah i know its Makaton. My daughter likes watching it and learning the signs. It's great for kids (and parents) and sounds like its been fantastic for your son!

Redstone likes this.
  10. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnsley Adult Learning Services used to offer a variety of ‘Taster courses’ I use to use them when organising Learning at Work Days through the Union. I remember Sign Language being on offer and it being quite popular amongst staff.

11. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    try giving greenacre a ring I know they arrange Makaton courses or used to