Budget 2017: NHS trusts given extra £350m for entire winter, despite Brexit bus promising £350m a wk

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedKestrel, Nov 24, 2017.

1. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OK left/right whingers instead of continually slagging off left/right goverments surely the NHS problem is the ongoing problem of top heavy management .

3. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aging population requiring more medical treatments. Scientific advances increase the costs of the best treatment. Fall in the value of the pound increasing costs of imported medicines and extra charges for treatment of UK citizens in the EU. Maybe there is too much management (and I don't work for the NHs so can't comment on that), but the other factors are very big factors.

The bill for imported medicine alone has risen by ~20% in 18 months just on currency fluctuations.

4. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Brexit which has been done to death, 2 things to point out.....

1 It did not "promise" anything. It simply said "....Let's fund our NHS instead" Whether or not you consider that to be a promise or even a statement of intent, depends on how good a grasp of English you have. Personally I didn't.
    2 The main point though, and to quote pro-EU 'remainers' who say this every time there is some good news on the economy, " We haven't left yet." Therefore we are STILL making payments to the EU so extra money isn't actually available yet anyway.

I appreciate you have strong views but do try to think a bit before you post your anti EU anti Conservative rants. There are plenty of real things to challenge both government and opposition parties on.

Have a good day

5. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have not left the EU yet , therefore brexit promises can only be judged when brexit has been completed , surely

6. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Brad Potts wins lots of headers.

7. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Point 1 - You are playing with words - there is no doubt the leave campaign attempted to give the impression that the (ficticious) £350 million a week we send to the EU would be available to spend on the NHS

Point 2- You are right we do still pay into the EU - of course the loss to the country of jobs exported back to Europe when the financial sector moves large numbers of jobs into the EU, the car manufacturers scale back their investment and investment in the technology sector shrinks - not to mention the costs to install proper customs control on all goods entering and leaving the country instead of the 50% as now, the effects of a weaker pound etc etc will actually cost the country far more than the costs we paid into the EU.

An overwhelming number of analalysts state and even a basic helping of common sense make me think that of the arguments for leaving the EU - the economic one is by far the worst and never stacked up
    If you voted leave because you don't want Europeans moving to the UK - hard to argue
    If you voted leave because you don't want to be part of a large European semi state that has direct influence on our laws - hard to argue
    If you voted leave because you genuinely believed the country would be economically better off in the forseable future you were just wrong

8. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A talking bus ? wow.

9. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Here Here

Without adding too much to the debate we have regular interaction with various government officials and also wider stakeholder. Meeting recently with the former head of the EU treasury the person who accounted the EU - UK spend. Without giving away anything or making quotes, she basically said 'We' as in us in the UK, must have been off our heads to vote out of EU given that we had far more coming in (and centrally managed ) from the EU than people realised and the press suggested. In fact we have benefited far more than if we were out. Just her informed and in the know opinion of course.

churtonred likes this.
  10. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

How exactly does a bus promise to give money.

How did she respond when you asked her why this information hadn't been dispassionately and logically presented to the nation rather than the hype up hysterical misinformation that was?

Extremely Northern likes this.
  11. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For the same reason this 40 billion divorce bill was never mentioned by either side....nobody thought we'd be daft enough to vote leave (including those who campaigned for it...Boris etc).

12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Great little thread here.

13. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the job of our own Government. She wasn't responsible for the way the UK handles this, whichever party is telling the message. I'm sure some would argue the message has been communicated for those who want to listen and believe. However i guess some people would trust a bus first and foremost.

Carlycu5tard likes this.
  14. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We should start a new thread. What has Brexit Given / Cost you? A good question and one which will be interesting to unfold over time on what it has given or taken from people directly.

15. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chucking more money at the NHS is like feeding a fat lovely person cake.
    Keeps em quiet for a while then they demand more.

16. RedKestrel

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    WTH are you on about ... you're always defending the Tories on a Barnsley forum in a Town that is among the most anti Tory in The country.. (??)
    If the lib dems Labour ukip bnp or whoever had ran nhs into the ground id mention them .. but as the tories have been wanting to privatise the nhs for years best to mention them .. don't get your comment on brexit .

What the tories are doing to the nhs is cynical at best..

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A massive pay cut compared to my colleagues outside the country.

UK Average salary 2016: £27,000
    EU Exchange rate May 2016: 1.31
    Equivalent in Euro: Eur 35,370

UK Average salary 2017: £27,000
    EU Exchange rate now: 1.12
    Equivalent in Euro: Eur 30,240

So a Eur 5,000 (£4.5k) pay cut compared to my colleagues if I was earning the UK average salary.

Imagine how all the old miners would feel if the result of a public vote lead to their pit suddenly earning significantly less than all the other pits in the area for the same job and the same work.

18. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Calm down and read it again. It was not a defence of the Tories. I was merely pointing out that your statement was factually incorrect i.e. no money is yet available since we have not left nor was what was posted on teh side of the bus a promise. Neither have anything to do with me "defending Tories" as you put it.

As I said my reply was not about the politics, Brexit or the NHS just the inaccuracy of your initial post.

Try again.

PS (Strange how certain people used to pillory me for allegedly starting political posts (in fact I used to post a lot on politics but not that often as the OP) and yet the rabid left wing posters such as yourself get off pretty much 'Scot free' (apart from Stahlrost's subtle replies re Potts and football) when Political threads are started.)

19. RedKestrel

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You didn't reply to the article (or the other articles on this subject) ...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  20. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not really a pay cut though is it....all it means is that you have less to spend if you visit the Eurozone. If the Italian debt crisis that appears to be looming hits the Euro, I doubt you'd say you'd just had a pay rise.