Can anyone explain why Mark Sampson has been sacked

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Farnham_Red, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Well sacked is the wrong word as he has had his contract paid up in full

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41345690

I am particularly baffled by this exchange with the FA chef exec

"Let's be clear, Mark is not deemed to be a safeguarding threat in football. The problem is that when I read the full report of that just last week, the issue became one of Mark's conduct and it's really around the boundaries between a player and a coach.

On reading that report, I felt that what I saw was incompatible with the standards that we'd expect for someone to work at the FA."

Is Mark Sampson fit to work as a coach in football generally in your opinion?

"Mark Sampson is absolutely clear to work as a coach in football."

I am confused - either he is guilty of inappropriate behaviour or he isn't - I dont even know what he is alleged to have done at Bristol that he was cleared of but is not appropriate for an FA manager

can anyone explain?

2. Del Rosso

Del Rosso Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The FA have been baffling the football world for generations we have a successful women's team I watched the game versus Russia and enjoyed it he's got them playing with flair and passion and no little amount of togetherness clearly shown on the night so yep another iffy decision by our games grey men/women

3. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what I've been reading he has been sacked due to inappropriate relationships with
    female players when he was a coach at Bristol Academy.
    FA Chief Exec Martin Glenn has admitted the FA were made aware of an investigation into
    Sampson' s conduct two years ago but failed to look into it further.
    Glenn says he saw the full report which was compiled in 2014 last week in which it was
    alleged that Sampson had had a " relationship" with more than one female player which in
    the FA's opinion now made his position with the England Ladies team untenable.

4. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was sacked for being completely exonerated on three separate occasions by formal investigations and being the target of a hate-campaign by a player.

5. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    dont you mean and being the target of a hate-campaign by a player of ethnic origin?

6. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure I need to mention that. She played the race-card and that's a tough one to shake off once the issue's been raised. Every shred of actual evidence points to him not being in the slightest bit racist. My take on events is that there's been some disagreement or dispute between them and she saw playing the race-card as the easiest way to unseat him.

7. sta

stanningtontyke Active Member

Business Development Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's been sacked because he refuses to play sideways passing football culminating in the striker receiving the ball after 78 passes and then punting it 50 yards back to the keeper to start again.

8. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes and once she played the race card it was easier for the FA to get shut of him than be seen to be siding with the white guy even though independent investigations completely cleared him

9. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly but that wont be classed as racial will it

10. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

My guess is that he's done something which could be a seen as risky if someone actually complained about it - and something which the guardian or some other manipulative twisted paper could sensationalise to a liberal wishy washy audience desperate to be offended.

I've imagined things like telling the team to be a bunch of nasty bitches - or maybe using sexual language or going into the changing room whilst they were getting changed to bollock them for a **** performance - I've no idea what but this is the level of activity I'm imagining - something trivial which if it was a woman coach would not even get a mention.

But no-one took offence or complained about specifically - but may have been used as "other evidence" in this girls accusations.

Whatever it actually turns out to be I'm generally of the view reading between the lines this is utter politically correct feckwittery by the FA running scared from a none story.

Kettlewell likes this.
  11. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sacked essentially for shagging a player.

Imagine if a female club doctor or physio etc slept with a male player and got the sack. The world would go mad. Karren Brady married a player when she was a club director negotiating contracts!

Or a coach and a player/2 players have a relationship. With all the hoohaa about when gay players will come out (it’s a sad indictment of the ‘supporters’ of our game that in 2017 they feel they still can’t), do you imagine sacking one of them?

People have relationships with colleagues / employees in every walk of life. I met my wife at work, I was her boss. (She makes up for it now...!).

Male coach, female team, it’s inappropriate. Yeah ok. Because the players didn’t have minds of their own and sleep with him because they fancied him and wanted to or owt like that ... remember he’s committed no crime so whatever happened was between consenting adults.

Joke. Like Sam allardyce - they wanted their little useless man Southgate in charge despite him being a quite crap football manager so they sacked the one theyd just appointed, probably to avoid an uproar, for a misdemeanour they were likely already aware of and in the grand scale of things pretty meaningless. It was an excuse to get the corporate yes man in.

The fa are up there with SYP for the title of least fit for purpose large scale organisation.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    PLOBBY, Xerxes and Donny Red like this.
  12. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What the hells "ethnic origin" mean..?

Nobody on here yelling "playing the race card" ****** knows what happened.. he mayve been racist then again there maybe more to it.

13. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It seems to me that the fa are running scared of miss aluko her been a lawyer and all that if this had been the other way round would anything have been done about it i feel it's sour grapes on miss aluko part for been dropped

14. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just waiting for the announcement that Eni Aluko is the new player manager.

Something stinks about this. If he had done ‘wrong’ then they clearly knew all along the hypocritical cretins

Kettlewell likes this.
  15. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Troff makes a good point. I remember that Tommy Docherty was sacked as Manager of
    Manchester United after admitting an extra marital affair with United Physio Laurie Browns
    wife. He divorced his then wife and married Mary Brown and has now been with her 30 years.
    However no one batted an eyelid when Karren Brady started a relationship with Paul Peschisolido
    when he was a player and she was the MD at Birmingham City. Slightly different in that they were both
    single but could have possibly been viewed as a conflict of interest in some circles.?
    I think they were two adults who had the capacity to separate their professional lives from
    their personal relationship.

Kettlewell likes this.
  16. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's about the relationship between individuals and more specifically the power of one individual over another. It's similar to a relationship between a university lecturer and a university student. Not illegal in the sense of age of consent but illegal as one person is in a position of power or influence over that individual.

The Karren Brady relationship predates this law but may have fallen foul of it today but you could argue it isn't a position of direct influence.

17. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your comment about the team playing well etc. is only true if he was sacked 'for footballing reasons'. Sounds like he wasn't. I'm not saying they were right or wrong to get rid, but how England played over the last year is not relevant to his dismissal on this occasion.

18. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The formal investigations, based on the information slowly coming out, were pretty badly handled by the FA. Information was collated and either not looked at or ignored until it suited. Hardly the best way to conduct an inquiry.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  19. Plankton Pete

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

One of the players he's alleged to have 'racially slurred' was not interviewed during the investigations. Hardly thorough in my opinion. No idea if he's racist or not, but it can't be proved or disproved without a proper enquiry. I agree with you both the FA have taken the easy way out, basically covering up previous failings of the organisation.

Kettlewell likes this.
  20. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    as manager of England Women's Team ---- Won 36 Drew 8 Lost 14.