Can anyone please advise where I might take my 12 year old grandson to get him playing football?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by cec/mac/tommy/lol&macca, Mar 13, 2017.

1. cec

cec/mac/tommy/lol&macca Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I live in Barnsley whilst my grandson lives in Wakefield. Which added to my age, makes it much more difficult for me to 'give him the feel of the ball' by regularly 'kicking about' with him as I previously did. So whilst he mightn't yet be ready to play for a team, I wondered where I might take him to receive the coaching he is presently lacking?
    Sincere thanks for any help.

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

My lad played for hemsworth miners welfare at that age and then Royston Dynamos, both good clubs, but Royston would probably suit you better location wise.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

3. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Durkar Devils have a good set up. My son started with Barugh JFC aged 5 in 2005 (now Shaw Lane after the takeover) and we've played Durkar regularly, Inc this year at u16s. Friendly club. Royston likewise. Other Wakefield area clubs I know of are Alverthorpe and Thorne Juniors, the latter play next to the Holiday Inn, J40 M1.

4. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the kids' football seasons are pretty much coming to and end, I know my 11 year olds team only have one game left. Then, come early summer, keep an eye on the Chronicle when teams managers put appeals in the paper for new players at which point you can take him to pre-season training, which will be free, and see how he gets on. The main thing is to pick a team whose manager ensures he enjoys playing rather than judge on ability.
    Good luck though. Kids football is very time consuming but rewarding if he enjoys playing.

5. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  6. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    West Green JFC Monk Bretton Contact Darren Hayes on 07764939354

7. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is difficult joining a kids team if you or the child do not know anyone at the club or your child isnt exceptional. These teams generally are a clique based set up with over bearing pushy parents with coaches who either bow down to this or the kids enjoying the football isn't their priority. I have found it a very uncomfortable environment to be in, I have regularly witnessed this for others and not just personally affected. The club's named in the other posts maybe different as I have never been involved with any of them. My advice is to see if any of your grandsons school friends play for any teams and go watch them and judge for your self. Best of luck and hope you find somewhere where he can enjoy playing.

8. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd urge caution if your Grandson is only just starting out Most kids in an u13s boys teams will have played for years and be very competitive. If he goes into the wrong set up where other players think he is not up to their level, it could put him off for life. I'd advise speaking to the coaches and suggest training with younger players to start off with. Let the coach know he just wants to learn the game first. Being thrown into a u13 game could be tough.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The park?

10. Wak

Wakey red New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which area of Wakefield does he live in or which school does he go to. He would be better off asking his mates at school who they play for.
    I have contacts at a few local clubs but as other reply its better if he knows some of the lads at the club. You could also look at Soccer centre just off Denby Dale road as they run some coaching clubs.

11. cec

cec/mac/tommy/lol&macca Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you all for your kind advice. And I agree that the main thing is that our young ones enjoy the game.
    Good luck to all of you.

12. tun

tunstallred Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Look up A1 Football factory in Pontefract, great set up and coaching team there is headed up by Scott Rogan who used to be head of foundation phase at clubs academy, they coach at all levels and sure they will have something to suit.

13. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bristol City might be interested....their manager has always shown an interest in up and coming young players from this area .