Candidate snobbery

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tobys Knackers, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Okay, so it's not the majority by a long stretch but there do seem to be a few posts turning the noses up at some of the suggested shortlist.

I don't get it, genuinely.

Danny had no managerial experience before us but okay he was a 'name' as a player. So was Viv Anderson but that didn't make him any good as a manager.

Who was Lee Johnson when we appointed him? Young coach who'd done okay at Oldham. Their fans were hardly crying buckets when he left.

Who was Paul Heckingbottom when we appointed him? Academy manager with zero first team games under his belt.

Just because the Scott's league is sh*te (sorry Arabian Ian) doesn't mean a manager / head coach from Scotland can't be any good.

With the possible exception of Bassett, when have we ever appointed a "name" manager?

I get that with our precarious position there's a logic behind someone who has been there and done it - but it doesn't mean that they've been there and done it with a group of kids assembled with virtually no experience at that level.

I'd like Mick Mac for the romance of the returning hero and experience he brings.

If not him the chap Potter in Sweden is intriguing and seems worth a go.

If not him - aren't they all a lottery?

2. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you to some extent.

If it's 100% important we don't go down, I couldn't say I would any confidence about any of them to keep us up.
    Grayson or Mick I think would have done enough to organise us to play a game of football, rather than surrender one.
    Of the 3, Simpson has the most coaching & managerial experience, so if we are fighting relegation at all costs him.
    Bonus & new contract if he keeps us up. (Contract may be no 1 or 2 to whoever we appoint). Other two are more long term punts for me.

3. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whoever gets the job, they're not going to please every one.... I wouldn't worry about it. One win in 16 and now we're looking at 6 wins in 15 to stay up.
    Realistically its not going to happen... flicker used all that luck up. We need someone in who can get us back up next season.

4. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    our most successul managers had nonmanagerial experience just a decent reputation as a player

5. Dav

DavidCurriesMullet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree a young manager's got to start somewhere. Look at Fergie he started in lower leagues in Scotland.
    Jack Ross sounds like the best candidate for me, working with young lad where all involved can develop together. He sounds like he plays on the front foot, no more respecting the names and salaries of opposing players.
    The guy will know the clubs current financial limitations, so those can't be used later as excuses, (shopping at Aldi) just get the team enjoying playing. We've got a squad that's better than bottom 3.