charging electric cars in Barnsley

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Robledo, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I would have expected at least a 21 word reply saying "Thanks for your letter. Charging points will be installed after the solar panels are fitted, as promised about 25 years ago.".

Gally, leeupo, Redhelen and 2 others like this.
  2. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not having a pop here but did you not check all this out before you bought an all electric vehicle?

jph77 and Redhelen like this.
  3. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are a number of government led schemes to increase the amount of car charging points across the UK. Given grants are available and probably other financial rewards for businesses, I’m shocked to see there are still so little available. The council did approve funding for an additional 45 dual EVCP’s across the borough back in October 2019, though I’m unsure where and when these will be installed: https://barnsleymbc.moderngov.co.uk... Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure.pdf

4. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've written to Hercule Poirot and asked him to help me solve the mystery of the worthless diamond. I reckon I stand more chance of getting a response than you do from Dane Murphy.

orsenkaht likes this.
  5. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This. Irregardless of the environmental issues, or the costs, or the feasibility, for Murphy to not even acknowledge receipt of your fair, considered correspondence is an absolute fu.cking disgrace.

6. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As the technology improves this will happen. Some Tesla vehicles already offer a much greater range than what’s available on the more affordable EV’s. I’d also be surprised if battery exchanges aren’t a thing as the vehicles become the norm. Fast Charge Points should also become quicker than the time it takes to fill a tank. Let’s be honest though, even on a 250 mile range, a large amount of drivers would probably only need a full charge every 1/2 weeks for the amount of driving they do.

NorthantsRed and Redhelen like this.
  7. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A former senior executive of the company I used to work for in Silicon Valley, Shai Agassi, left and setup such a company, Better Place, a few years ago. He was building swapping stations up and down the West Coast. It was not successful.

8. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    what about holidays?

9. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't the batteries degrade constantly thought? I heard 20% per year and after 5 years you need a completely new one.

If that's true then a 3 year old car will only be getting just over 100 miles to a full charge which seems pretty poor

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Red

RedMonk Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Might have jumped the gun a little too early. Imagine if someone like Musk did it right now to support his Tesla cars, it would be like pocket change for him to develop it.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've wondered about that. A touring holiday in Scotland, for example. You'd have to be very well organised not to end up out of juice on some remote highland road.

12. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't self-charging the way ahead? Sure I read summat......

rycalshaw likes this.
  13. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thats true if your driving is mostly local and predictable Electric cars are great if you are only using it locally for commuting shopping etc. But they arent really there yet for longer distance trips as pointed out by the OP
    I regularly come up from Surrey to visit parents and if I time it right go to the match - My house to Wombwell is 201 - 230 miles depending on which route I take ( the longer one is signifcantly faster on a friday evening ) so its tight as to whether I could do it on one charge - especially if it was dark cold and raining ( or hot as I suspect in car AC affects range somewhat). In my Diesel I can drive up and back on one tank and still have plenty left.

As for driving to france - last sunday I drove home from Chambery to Farnham - a distance of 650 miles and about 9 hours driving time - my previous car could do that on one tank of Diesel - current one has a smaller tank and under 600 mile range so I do need one quick fill up on route - In an electic car it wouldnt be practical unless I could put 200 miles of range in during a lunch stop

The swapping batteries is in principle a good idea but the garages would need several Gigawats to recharge the ones dropped off in time for recycling back into other cars and also need to be able to pull worn out batteries - its not so simple as having a big tank of petrol

Hydrogen cars may be more practical in the long term but there is a risk that electric will become the norm too soon and the hydrogen ones never get to gain a foothold

14. cli

clints right foot Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's a 22kw one at Fox Valley on the Stocksbridge bypass works with contactless, that's the one I'd use.
    Mine's got a 100 mile range on it but I only drive to Sheff and back for work, haven't had any issues yet just charge it overnight a couple of times a week just got to make sure you plan your journeys more carefully. Not an expert but my 7KW charger only cost £300 to fit to my house don't think it would cost the club that much to fit 5 or 6 to the Ponty end car park??

15. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's two charging points in Wath Library car park.

16. Arc

Archerfield Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I got an electric car last year. My experience is quite different and probably reflects the benefits of having a range of over 300 miles and the use of the Tesla charging stations.

My trip home to Barnsley is around 230 miles which would be cutting it fine on a single charge. The real world range is more like 240 miles and heavily dependent on weather conditions and, in particular, temperature. I regularly do the journey and a 25 minute stop at Scotch Corner to charge in both directions and this means the trip is pretty stress free.

Fuel cost are around 80% less and the Scottish government give you a £35,000 interest free loan to buy the vehicle. There are some issues if you are used to doing long trips but the benefits, in my mind, are quite good.

17. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thing is, if I got into one, the range would drop from 240 miles to about 40 miles :rolleyes:

Archerfield likes this.
  18. Rob

Robledo Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My car, an Audi Etron has a quoted range of 250 mile,. One of the criteria when I bought it was that I could get to Barnsley and back without recharging. The problem is that I have never got more than 200 miles and now the weather is cold it is down to 160. Generally with a bit of pre route planning, as you have do, it is fine. Normally on a match day we get into town by 12.00 and don't leave until 17.30 so a standard charger would be sufficient if one was available.

leeupo, MidlandsBFC and Archerfield like this.
  19. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wont petrol stations start having them?

20. Mid

MidlandsBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The real disgrace here is the lack of response from the club. The least they could do is say they sympathise with the inconvenience and they’ll look into it for the future, but no response at all is just indicative of the failures of the board to date.

No other kind of company would get away with neglecting its customers to this extent, why should we let our club get away with it?