charging electric cars in Barnsley

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Robledo, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes - I dont understand why there isnt any reply - even if its just one which says no plans at this time due to expense and the fact it would only be used on matchdays - I can see why it isn't practical for the club to fit charging points but surely a reply should be sent

anstonred likes this.
  2. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i was told there is a charging point in the car park behind the carvery at junction 37 in Dodworth. Don't know any details though

anstonred likes this.
  3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Send an email praising them and they'll reply within hours.

That said I'm starting to believe that dane Murphy doesn't work at bfc full time and is chief exec on paper only with Paul Conway truly still in charge. Wouldn't be surprised to find Dane still lives in America and just travels over for meetings once a month.

4. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As SuperTyke said, there are 3 or 4 at Tesco in Hoyland (5 mins from J36) and at least 1 has VW branding.....I noticed you have an Audi so they may be faster chargers(????? I.ve no idea but as an owner you will have knowledge).

Been there 6 months and not seen a car at them yet ;)

5. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve had a plug in hybrid for four years now and it’s a brilliant machine. I drive locally exclusively on electric and the petrol engine does the long miles. I know these are going to be phased out but they are a good compromise. The battery capacity hasn’t really noticeably changed in four years.
    A mate of mine has had a Nissan Leaf (full electric) for about the same time. He says the battery range has hardly changed at all over time but is very dependent on the outside temperature.

SuperTyke likes this.
  6. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In fairness, the issue seems to be the match day closure of the market gate car park.

NorthantsRed likes this.
  7. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm no expert, but I can't see it. Not unless the companies owning the petrol stations can make as much money as they do currently from petrol sales. And surely that defeats the object? Long term, they might just sell up, turn the land over to housing or whatever.

During the transition, they probably won't have the space on the forecourt to give much up for charging points. They want the petrol customers in and out quickly, not delayed by queuing e-cars. But like I said, I'm no expert. I just think there are more questions than answers at the moment.

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think they would have them under the Tesla plan of a docking bay which switches out the battery without needing human input because it can be done in under a minute, but as you say they won't with normal charging stations

Old Goat likes this.
  9. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair to them they've only just got there heads round Garlic bread......

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Garlic?bread?

dodgey defence likes this.
  11. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ironically, I think 'Dane Murphy' was offline, plugged into his charger at each time of writing

Redhelen and leeupo like this.
  12. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I believe petrol stations make more money from the goods in the store than the fuel. So the coffee, chocolate, general goods etc. As such the EV option would potentially be good for their business.

Old Goat likes this.
  13. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have been thinking for some time as to whether my next car should be a PHEV. I do long miles for work too often for a pure electric to be remotely viable but thought a PHEV could be a good and economical compromise. And from reviews I read, the combination of the petrol engine and the electric, when used together, can give them a hell of a kick. What's not to like.

But, the more I look into it, the more unsure I am if it is the right move.

a) the cost of them. Currently there is a huge markup on the phev version of whatever car you are interested in compared to the diesel equivalent. It could take years of making savings on fuel to make it back.

b) the concern about the fact that the tech will progress at a rapid rate and it's probably not a good move to be an early adopter if I then look on in envy in 2 years at the next model out which has twice the range of the one I bought in haste.

c) I have been reading a lot about whether electric cars are the environmental saviour they are made out to be with the suggestion that there is a massive additional co2 hit during its manufacture compared to a normal engine car that takes years to make back in emission free driving. I am just not convinced that they are the long term answer and that they will or should win the VHS v betamax type contest compared to say hydrogen.

It just all feels too early for me to jump in. Next car is almost certainly going to be another long range diesel motor. We'll see after that at the next change.

14. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just part-ex it for a diesel.

15. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair point

16. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Dane is at every match, if that makes you feel any better.

As far as the topic of the thread goes, I’ve had a Tesla Model X for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it. I kept my previous petrol guzzler just in case, but I’ve barely used it.

The Tesla has a quoted range of about 300 miles or something, but I realistically get closer to 250. It’s enough, but it’s not perfect. I can charge up to about 80% in 20 minutes though at a supercharger (for the cost of about £20 or so), which is perfect if you can find one at a service station. Go to the toilet, maybe have some food and you’re good to go.

What IS perfect is the rest of the car. Built like a tank and I’ve never been beaten off the line at traffic lights. Not even by a young lad in a Porsche who thought he was clever revving up at the side of me. It’s as though there’s no acceleration. It’s very difficult to explain. You just put your food down and you’re gone. The one down side is that you can’t go down little country roads very easily. It feels like it’s the width of 2 cars, when you drive it.

The autopilot is incredible, as well. I am a little bit worried that it’s making me a less attentive driver though.

17. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would BFC have any reason to install a charge point for electric cars?.… and capability of managing it.... Well... We can't even cook a pie properly never mind owt else

cudeth red and SuperTyke like this.
  18. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't you assess the feasibility, based on regularly visited places before making that kind of purchase?
    Seems you've made a poor decision and you're looking for a scapegoat.

19. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly

20. jph

jph77 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Behave. Worse than junk mail.