charging electric cars in Barnsley

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Robledo, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The hydrogen fuel cell has been the holy grail of power generation for decades, it's encouraging that progress is at last being made. However, hydrogen production from water could be a major problem as the power requirement is huge. Most hydrogen is produced from natural gas. But in theory the hydrogen fuel cell is the perfect solution.

Farnham_Red likes this.
  2. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is what bothers me about ultra low emissions cars. It seems that the choice is electric or hydrogen and at the moment, electric is clearly winning the race. But there are unanswered questions about the universal adoption of electric cars, such as where people who live in flats or houses with on road parking can charge them. It seems that hydrogen cells are a better answer, if the question about the amount of power needed to produce the hydrogen from water could be resolved.

What if, in a few years, someone finds the answer to that, and the whole industry changes direction making the investment in charging stations redundant?

Or they find an answer to that question, but we are too far down the road with electricity to turn back so we end up with the second best solution just because it was adopted first?

I must admit, being a bit of a car enthusiast, as well as a bit of a tech head, the pace of change and the level of development in the car industry at the moment is astonishing and quite exciting. But I am just a bit wary of being caught cold jumping in too early.

For me, I'd love a hybrid where the electric only range was useful enough to cover most journeys, say 100 miles, so the combustion engine hardly ever gets used but you know it's there if needed. At the moment, they all look to do about 25-30 miles, which for me is probably pointless, because for most of the time, I am on the motorway and it will be a petrol engine doing the hard yards, smaller than my diesel so less shove, but less efficient also than a diesel, particularly as it will spend most of it's time lugging around extra weight in the form of a battery and an electric motor that is doing nothing to contribute.

3. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post this. I am considering ev because from 1st April, your employer can do a salary sacrifice scheme for you to lease or buy one without suffering any benefit in kind tax. You can also bundle in maintenance and insurance and the national insurance is knocked off aswell. That could mean 42% of costs offset against tax. Mine would be a second car so it would make sense possibly. Would prefer a hybrid though, apart from the Tesla's, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds though if you drive like that imagine it wouldn't get to the end of our street. Does anybody have outlander phev as that's the one I'm looking at

4. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, I have seen that and it will probably make the uptake of EVs shoot.

I have been looking myself for the details of how it can work, and what the parameters are. I think the BIK rate is 0 if the car emits less than 75g per km but stand to be corrected. If so, that would cover most if not all hybrids, not just full EVs. Which is a bit odd because the govt seem to have gone cold on hybrids and included them in the 2035 ban, because research suggests people buy them for the lower BIK and then dont bother to charge them.

I cant find a scheme though that lets you buy a car outright rather than lease it. I prefer to buy.

5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect that we'll be in the VHS/Beta situation where the far better technology (Betamax) wasn't adopted because the inferior VHS had become so established that nobody would get rid of their VHS machines.

anstonred and cudeth red like this.
  6. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    By chance I just happened to stumble across this article last nigh - makes some excellent points though I struggle to believe the claim about 15 cargo ships and would like some independent confirmation for that one

https://drivetribe.com/p/why-the-uk...wNEWQmGgRy0qTdlMHA?iid=MF352a1QROmDxVWJFQcvXQ

7. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Motor industry drivel I think. Hails the car as the "democratiser" (is that a word?) when in reality the car has; reinforced class barriers by allowing the rich and powerful new ways to demonstrate their power, contributed massively to the breakdown of community by allowing people to commute huge distances, kills or maims countless numbers of people every year and has destroyed huge tracts of land along with the wildlife that used to live on it. It also turns otherwise sane people into mindless morons once they get behind the wheel.

RedKen-dal likes this.
  8. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    You're right. People travelling to work for better jobs is the problem. What crap!

9. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Doing what Norman Tebbit told us to do? This "policy" just widened the economic gap between North and South. Certainly helped didn't it....

10. RedKen-dal

RedKen-dal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tebb’s was ahead of his time. “Get on your bike”, this before we even realised the damage to the climate caused by driving. Visionary

sadbrewer and Brush like this.
  11. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    seems you might be in luck

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/reds-to-look-into-ev-charging-points-at-oakwell

12. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Moaning works, its what we need more of on here.

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It got us our TVs turned on

15. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly got us an older player anall. Keep moaning.

16. Rob

Robledo Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  17. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And bottle tops, and a slightly larger scoreboard and painted bollards!

18. Mid

MidlandsBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great that the club are taking proactive steps regarding this by the looks of it, but have they responded to the original poster yet? Still find it absurd that no-one in our management structure can take two minutes to draft a quick email to someone letting them know that they're looking into a topic etc. As I've said before, no other company would get away with it.

19. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeh, you would think that an alternator type thing would be the way forward wouldn,t you, thing is, the government wouldn,t be reaping the benefits via the tax paid by the leccy providers...

20. Rob

Robledo Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still no response but I understand that McGeehan has taken a three match ban instead.