Credit where it's due

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Metatarsal, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spent much of today at Oakwell, 43 years old and still felt like a kid in a sweet shop.

From Hecky, awaiting kick off, but still having time to chat and say a thank you to my son and I after laying the poppy wreath. Gauthier Ganaye, seen all over the place between 12 and 2.30pm, again having time for both club guests and supporters. I know he's been a target for some criticism, but here was a CEO being both club representative on a formal basis and also a down to earth guy simply talking football. First impression is of a great guy. Barry Murphy, I never him saw play, but what a great ambassador for BFC. Our reception staff, professional and with the patience of saints and skin thicker than it should have to be.

And I can't post this without acknowledging Andy Clark in marketing and Andy White. I trust they'll not be embarrassed by me saying that they went to great lengths for me over recent weeks, assisted me with fundraising and organising today's involvement in remembrance and it'd be wrong of me not to acknowledge this and offer a thank you. But beyond that, just today, it's an eye opener to see the broad scope of things they sort out, assist with, all in the background normally.

Judgement is subjective, but I see a club with a lot of integrity.

I reckon I'm easy pleased and fall within the happy clapper group, but today has reinforced my opinion that we are in a good place, with good people responsible for our club. This wasn't a view I held in the latter days of the Davey/Rowing/Shepherd era, when I felt as a supporter that I was an inconvenience, and a distraction, of no value. Interactions I've witnessed and been involved with today are those that wouldn't happen at many clubs, certainly not those who really were distant from their support. Not that I'd deny other's experiences differ, but I can only give mine.

On the pitch today, and the last seven days really, was icing on the cake. Bar Jackson, we've had pretty much a full squad to pick from this last week. It shows, and arguably the past week shows small signs of progress. We will come unstuck now and again, and still see inconsistency, reflecting the age and inexperience of the team. When it goes wrong, from what I've seen, it's more down to naivety than lack of ability.

Today there was a team that really was underperforming given what it has spent. It wore blue. Our full backs were excellent at both ends of the pitch, and as poor as Birmingham were, there just seemed to be a real sense of purpose and belief through the team from front to back. Bradshaw can't hold the ball up when its played to him 6 feet high but, as at Burton when he came on, get it to him at chest height or below and he's very effective. Class goal, should have had two.

We're lower midtable, with a positive goal difference and a young side that's showing signs of starting to form something. I'm enjoying watching it, maybe not in the same sense of enjoying the entertaining/cavalier stellar stuff played in 2016, but watching a team and staff squeezing out everything they have. Takeover or no takeover, I'm as proud to be a red as I've ever been.

2. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Thanks, mate. Really appreciate that. Makes it worth it when our guests enjoy their day at Oakwell.

Got a great photo of you and the boy that I'll get over to you tomorrow.

Connor, shed131 and Metatarsal like this.
  3. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fantastic Post

shed131 likes this.
  4. ScubaTyke

ScubaTyke Well-Known Member

Scuba Instructor/IT Consultant/Sailor...
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Appreciate your post and also the remembrance event.

Lest we Forget

Metatarsal likes this.