Current team

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Ironjaw94, May 24, 2017.

1. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where has the figure £5 million come from , is it suddenly the benchmark for our deals ? I just dont understand what you are on about

2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just trying to put a monetary value on his contribution which I accept to a point is arbitrary, but let's say that's a price that would be paid for a good championship winger.

Is Kent's contribution worth more or less?

3. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is probably agree with you about Bradford atmosphere myself but the kids seem to get more involved and have more fun so my little ones seem to enjoy it more so they will probably drag me there. Probably just time for me to reluctantly grow up.

It's been a big part of my life a link to a place that for the vast majority of my adult life I have lived away from. And that's hard to shake off. But whereas when I lived in. Tunbridge Wells I'd think nowt of coming up to Oakwell and the time involved these days dragging myself 10 minutes down the road to a Tuesday night match feels like a chore. And to be honest January extinguished the last flickers of tbe dream for me. (I would emphasise I am not saying I would have done anything differently).

Once you are a proper fan of a club you never lose it you never let it go it is inside you. I have a couple of mates who haven't set foot in Oakwell for 10 years who speak passionately about tbe Reds. Maybe it's ny fate to join them. I am out of love with football I guess and I thought I could insulate my love for Barnsley from that but I can't these days.

Anyhoo onwards and upwards (interestingly a phrase I nicked from West Brom fanzine Grorty Dick in tbe early years of this board but still gets trotted out occasionally)

4. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You cannot put a monetary contribution on individuals, the value of staying in the championship can possibly be roughly valued, however its the squad of players over a season that has kept at this level. Individual players are worth as much as a willing buyer will pay & in our case, we didnt pay £5 million for Adam Hammil but he is a damm good championship winger.

5. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course you can. For example I would say Kpekwa has contributed nought degrees Kelvin. Absolute ******* zero.

6. YTB

YTBFC Guest

You'll be there in August.

7. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on. And I agree all our loan players last season were not roaring successes, but we're going to use the system because: a) we can sign players often of a quality we would not be able to afford; b) it reduces the number of permanent signings we have to make so we can spend a bit more on these players; c) the system exists, so we may as well use it otherwise we'd be disadvantaging ourselves!