Danger lurking with the Sunderland job vacant?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Nov 1, 2017.

1. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Will it have escaped the Black Cats' notice that we were thrashing the third bottom club away (notwithstanding that they should be beating teams like us) while they were failing to overcome the bottom club at home? Sunderland being disinclined to spend means they are in the game of developing the youngsters or low-cost recruits, and surely few can match Hecky's reputation for that at this level? Hecky has pledged his devotion to us, but what 40 year old bloke with a young family can afford not to take the chance of trebling or quadrupling his wages? And has Hecky any guarantees from our prospective new owners, who are after all reportedly about to spend £20M and may well have their own ideas? Would anyone on here bet against Hecky achieving survival for Sunderland this year and (with Year 2 parachute money to prime the squad) promotion to the Premiership next season?

As an aside to that, who would give Sunderland permission to talk to Hecky? The Board consists of Biscuit Barry and Robert Zuk. So we do we need to lock them in the biscuit cupboard until the SOL vacancy is filled?

2. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I worry every time a vacancy comes up at a "big" club.

3. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    They really are in trouble. They've not won at home in 2017 and whilst you could make the argument that most of that was in the Premier League, their home form has actually worsened in the Championship (Drawn 5 Lost 6 in the PL, Drawn 2 lost 5 in the Championship).

They've a squad of ageing, expensive has beens, and they simply can't buy a win. I think a bit of longevity would have been key for them, in a similar vein to how Villa gave Bruce the benefit of the doubt despite a poor start to life as their gaffer. But they're starting again with another manager who has the same players and the same restraints to work with.

I fear that this is a knee jerk reaction to a poor patch of form, but I seriously can't see Hecky going there. He'll be linked due to his work here, his ability to work on a budget and his links to Sunderland. But I seriously can't see him taking it.

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Never in a million years Ors. 120986567/1 in Os terms.

I don't think the fact about trebling wages is any pull, look at Grayson, his career is in tatters for what? A couple of years contract on a decent wage, his confidence will be shattered too. He will have to rebuild his career after this job, probably on less wages than he was on at Preston.

Googs likes this.
  5. ade

ade Well-Known Member

IT manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to our match with my mate who's a Sunderland fan - we live near Burton. He's proper pissed off with footy at the minute. He reckons they haven't got any money as players are on big contracts and Grayson will need paying off. He reckons they'll promote from within.

6. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I live in Swadlincote.

7. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd hardly say his career is in tatters unlike his predecessor David Moyes. Whoever took that job was on a hiding to nothing as the whole club from top to bottom is in a right mess. He may well have to drop down to League 1 but he has a fantastic record at getting clubs promoted from that level (Blackpool, Huddersfield, Leeds and Preston).

Kettlewell likes this.
  8. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We'll see on his next job

9. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hope you're right Gordon. But I'd be surprised if Hecky is on £10,000 a week with us. And haven't we reverted to our "rolling one year contract" default now? If Sunderland were to give him £30,000 a week he'd probably be on less than some of the players. A three year deal would net him £4.6M, regardless of whether some of that ends up as 'compo'. With that sort of money his future career prospects become less important. With us he'd get £1.5M - assuming his contract rolls over. And as yet we know of no guarantee of his position from the new owners. I've no doubt whatsoever of Hecky's loyalty to us, but his loyalty to his family should be far more important.

Still hope you're right though!

Googs and jedi one like this.
  10. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Errrrr Gauthier Ganaye? Patrick Cryne?

Kettlewell likes this.
  11. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That club is cursed, had 2 managers since their last home win. You would need to be seriously mad to leave a job to take that on, its got to be either someone out of work at the minute or a new manager who's just starting.

12. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hecky is 25/1 for the Sunderland job with Peter Reid 3/1 fav with Skybet.

13. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are jobs that will come up that would have me worried. This isnt one of them. Grayson is a decent manager- Sunderland gave him 17 games to turn round a club in free fall stuffed with overpaid prima donnas that he cant get rid of and not surprisingly he hasnt done it. How long do you think they will give the next guy. If they arent mid table by January they will reach for the P45 again

The only possible thing that may force Hecky to think about it would be if he was expecting the new owners to put their own man in.

It needs to be someone out of work or much lower down the league. Reid might consider it but I doubt it

14. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Peter Reid. Lol.

Canny, leek, y'knaaaaaaaaaaa.

15. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What Hecky does works because of our ethos, recruitment policy and support structure. I'm not sure it would elsewhere and he maybe knows it.

Kettlewell likes this.
  16. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Hecky’s brilliant at developing young players & improving them but we’ve yet to see how he’d cope managing big ego’s & experienced pro’s.

It’s a completely different job, some might say easier but it’ll still take time & how much would they give him?

How much hunger do Cattermole, O’Shea, Gibson, Oviedo etc still have?

There’s not many young players up there, Watmore, Honeyman & not many more, in football terms I think it’d be a bad move & id be surprised if he lasted a year & that’s not a dig at Hecky that’s an opinion that any young manager or manager with only lower league experience would struggle in that job.

I think it’s more a job for an experienced motivator, your Allardyce type, even Peter Reid might do the job in the short term

Kettlewell likes this.
  17. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If I was offered the job, Id snap their hand off. Who wouldn't take 3 years money for 2 months work?
    Hecky could go to Sunderland, do as much damage as possible, get them even further in the mire, collect a big bag of swag for himself and be back in charge of us for the run in.

Plankton Pete likes this.
  18. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I don't think the Sunderland fans would welcome a bloke that has only won 4 from 14 this season, and had a similar record from January last season.

They won't take into account any mitigating circumstances. His record on paper will be all they look at.

There would be uproar.

Kettlewell likes this.
  19. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Close to admin arnt they

20. loy

loyal tyke mb Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In retrospect Allardyce did well to keep Sunderland in Premier League David Moyes would not have taken job if the lack of investment by the owner had been spelt out more clearly. Too soon to pigeon hole Hecky think his organisation and confidence building skills will take him and hopefully Barnsley to higher levels.Given what happened last season and only 4 players retained from August last season were witnessing something remarkable with a largely new squad of players..

Casper and shed131 like this.