Danger lurking with the Sunderland job vacant?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm looking forward to NYE in Newcastle and Sunderland on New Years Day, lets hope they appoint someone crap, although I'm surprised that Grayson wasn't at least mid table

2. wilky

wilky Active Member

Home Page:
    Personally, I think they would be miles better off with Nigel Clough. If you want a boss who has operated at so called ‘big clubs’ in the past (reasonably well) with the added experience of operating within tight budgets elsewhere, he’s your man. Sunderland are in transition. Their next gaffer will facilitate their repair and stability. It’s an 18 month job at best.

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. ade

ade Well-Known Member

IT manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hi Brush,

Yes I think we had this conversation last year. We're in Hilton, and fellow cyclists. Get out to Ashby occasionally, though more likely to head to Ashbourne.

I saw your post about going to the Great Northern and on another day would probably have gone. We didn't decide to go until the last minute so grabbed a quick one in the beech and had a few more after in the old talbot in Hilton. I wasn't supposed to be there really as I'm on call :)

4. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree, I’m not pigeon holing him, I’m just saying it’s a different type of job & one that would probably take time to get right which I doubt he’d get there

5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hi ade,

Is that the pub on the corner right next to the Pirelli factory? Been there a few times over the years. The Burton and South Derbyshire Camra section used to do friday night boozy bike rides, one of those finished up at the Beech....

6. loy

loyal tyke mb Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon he will stay for at least one more season and see how we progress and have a rethink in the summer.

7. Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour)

Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Must be a desperate chap who takes on that job now.

Under achieving players on big wages have been their problem for a few years now plus the constant change of manager and his players makes a disjointed group and no stability.

8. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Danny Wilson had three good years with us, went to the massive, and finished up drifting about in League One. Becky only needs to look at that plus the egos of the players with the so called bigger clubs.

Kettlewell likes this.
  9. pilleyphil 2u

pilleyphil 2u Active Member

support worker
    Home Page:
    Only gave grayson 1 million to spend on players according to reporters on sky

10. pilleyphil 2u

pilleyphil 2u Active Member

support worker
    Home Page:
    Not much money for new players according to sky sports grayson was only to have 1 million to spend on squad

11. Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour)

Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Annual wage bill of £30million.

12. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's all pointing towards Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury Town. What a good appointment he has been for them. SFC would have to pay little in terms of compensation and they would not be having to pay Allardyce-level salary. Good manager, Hurst, but doesn't know the Championship. I think he is most likely, if the touts are saying so. There has been interest in Hecky from SFC last summer and also Norwich, but it always seems to come to nothing, so I guess he is not interested at this point in time. Good news for us, though.

13. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

You've got to feel for them if they lose their manager. Doing really well always comes at an inevitable cost for the smaller clubs.

14. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2017
  15. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He'll not go there, they are a shambles both on and off pitch!!

16. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing!

I listened to radio deedar whilst on my way to the match on Tuesday, and a caller asked if Sheffield United could have a similar January to ours last season, and they dismissed it out of hand. They had contracts, they wouldn't have their heads turned, they enjoyed playing for the blunts etc etc

They even fielded a call from a blunt saying Fleck was worth £20 million by todays values. I laughed out loud but they didn't even question how he'd come to such a ludicrous valuation.

Another pillock said they are currently the "best club in England"!

It was a proper blunts loving session and no one was going to burst their little bubble (although QPR did a bit later) and I felt that no one was allowed to suggest they might lose any players or manager.

. . . . . . Yet here they are asking hecky if he's been approached by Sunderland. Absolute double standards from them as per usual.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2017
    Gordon Owen likes this.
  17. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a lot of money though, and he's not a young lad about to go out and splash it all on ridiculous stuff. If he's happy here and his family's happy here and he is clearly already earning enough for a more than comfortable lifestyle then why bother moving for more money? There's only so much you can do with it at the end of the day. He might even like the idea of bringing his kids up to be grounded and not super rich and spoiled. The bigger worry for me eventually is I can definitely see him moving for career progression and a challenge to test himself further.

18. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree JD - it's a lot of money. It'd do me, for sure. But it's not as much as £30K/4.6M is it? And what if the consortium want their own man at Oakwell? Hecky would kick himself if he'd turned down Sunderland and Mr Lee didn't want him. Don't get me rong, it probably won't happen - and I certainly don't want it to. But can we honestly rule it out?

19. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    He'll be thinking about his family and their futures as well as the thought of testing himself with more resources ,
    Hecky always tells the players to look after themselves eg Fletcher phoned him up about his dilemma of signing for us on loan or going to Middlesbrough .
    Hecky gave him an honest opinion and I wouldn't bet against him taking opportunities for himself .
    I don't think the Sunderland Job is the way to go for him in the clubs present climate career wise though but depends what money a d contracts they are willing to throw at him .
    But imo he will be given an opportunity he can't refuse at some point if he continues to pull rabbits out of the hat here .
    It's inevitable others will take note but for now we are reaping the benefits.

20. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it very unlikely that he'd go to another Championship club. But if an offer came in from the Premier League, he'd be a fool not to at least consider it. And if he manages to get us there then he's sure to receive offers for insane money, especially if he can keep us there.

Marlon likes this.