Dare I say it

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by troff, Jun 11, 2017.

1. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But that England performance reflected the personality (and probably coaching talent) of the manager. No direction, no urgency. And certainly no passion.

Nice fella Gareth Southgate. Smartly turned out, speaks well, solid playing career.

But he's got the biggest job in England after only achieving relegation and getting the sack the following year at boro, and then doing a decent job with the u21s.

Do you imagine Man Utd sacking Mourinho and giving the job to Nicky Butt?

I didn't agree with them sacking Allardyce. He got caught saying what any manager could and would say. They could have easily laughed it off. They used it as an excuse as they wanted to give the job to Southgate in the first place as he was the nice corporate man.

It's more important to the fa that they have a manager who looks right and says the right things than a manager who has half a clue - greenwood over clough, hodgson over redknapp, graham taylor over terry venables, Steve mclaren over big Sam back in 2006. They had no choice but to appoint Sam Allardyce last time. And got shot as soon as they possibly could.

Nice bloke maybe but Gareth Southgate looks as passionate as a wet flannel at times - and from an ability point of view is way out of his depth. Anyone who disagrees I'd ask this: if Hecky was poached by another club and we needed a manager, would you want Southgate?

No, neither would I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All very valid points. I, personally, would try a panel of recent ex-pro's to lead this team. A Gerrard/Beckham/Neville combo, for example. People who know the modern game very well, but who this current crop probably aspired to be in their youth and respect greatly.
    Southgate's 'OK' at best, but I still can't forgive the Pizza Hut advert myself.

3. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely spot on mate, no doubt you'll get lambasted off the 'Lovey dovey' army on here for daring to say big sam should still be in a job but for the first time in 20 year we had a chance of being managed by a bloke who wasn't afraid to say how it is and would've put a few people in there places, we now have a bloke who has lovely as he seems dosent strike me as a man who can give a ballacking out.

So the next time we get knocked out of a tournament after scraping by the group stage we'll hear another 'we're all disappointed but we'll regroup and build for the next one'.....how many times we heard this line?? I for one and I suspect many others alike would like us to drop the shackles of this Square ball passing possession football and really go at teams.

We have a great set of players but can this bloke get the best out of them.......I fear the clutches of the FA will stop us ever knowing!!

4. springvale red

springvale red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got to agree, bland manager/coach playing negative boring football. Like mentioned above would be good to see Gerrard/Neville involved in set up.

5. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course Sam Allardyce should have lost his job as England manager. He touted himself business to help get around the rules of player third party ownership, in direct conflict from the rules set by his employers - the FA. He would do this in exhange for £400,000 a year. How on gods green earth could he possibly keep his job. A dishonest, very greedy and untrustworthy bloke in the biggest job in English football with everybody knowing it. Should never have got the Crystal Palace gig either. Only in football could you go to a potential new employer with that on your C.V. and get the job. Hes a crook, the games riddled with em, but hes a crook nonetheless.

Xerxes likes this.
  6. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Do you not think your going slightly over the top there......fuk me!! He's hardly pulled a pair of tights over his head and gone and robbed a jewellers in Hatton garden as he? Yeah he was foolish but hardly crime of the century was it

7. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He didn't tout himself - he was approached by a 'journalist' sting and was asked questions. He didn't actively seek anything.

And he didn't state he'd directly conflict any rules. He certainly did not encourage breaking any. Just that there were means of getting round them.

It was also done before he got the England gig and published after.

If i was a conspiracy theorist I'd say it was the fa who called the papers in to do them a favour.

I'm not - but I still wouldn't be surprised.

And more to the point of the thread - I concede that he was bloody daft and put himself in the position of losing the job - don't you think it was very convenient for the fa to appoint Gareth Southgate? Yet he's completely inept. The fa accusing somebody of being corrupt is very much a pot and kettle situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judith charmers likes this.
  8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They should sack those overpaid primadonnas and get these kids playing. They have pride and passion thats missing from our national team.

9. onlyonesteviecooper

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thats alright then. Should be knighted in the new years honours list. Im sorry, but what he did was monumentally stupid and lacked one shred of intelligence at best but showed a greedy lack of respect to your high paying employers at worst. How on earth could he be trusted after that.
    It wouldnt surprise me at all if he was well known for being up for a back hander also. Hence the sting type set up.

10. onlyonesteviecooper

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So your saying the F.A. put the papers up to it before he actually got the job so they could fire him after they gave him the job... jeez I know the F.A. is inept but even that would take some beating.

11. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ...and energy. These kids just don't stop running (assuming you're referring to U20s).

Jimmy viz likes this.
  12. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Actually I wouldnt say Southgate has no passion, have you seen how he reacts on the touchline. He actually acts like the matches mean something to him and I like that.
    Whether hes good enough to take us forward though, thats another argument altogether.