Darren Ferguson's on for a fine with that interview

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gordon Owen, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Said the standard of refereeing at that level is shocking and their fitness levels are and then when the interviewer asked what could he/FA do to improve it he said "shoot them".

2. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good on him. He’ll get into trouble but refs get away with far too much. Managers should be able to say what they thought of a referee.

He sounded very angry but When he said shoot them I presume he meant sack lol. Not line them up and shoot em dead :)

3. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Referees don’t just implement rules they are judge and jury and that’s what’s wrong imo.
    They judge an incident one match then judge a similar incident differently the next . They have mostly been backed by FA or league officials as most controversial decisions are for supposedly bigger teams imo

4. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Good to hear!
    Managers should say what they think more often instead of coming out with same old cliched rubbish week in week out!

5. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We obviously get some shockers but I always find it difficult to be too critical of referees as they have probably the hardest job in the world of sport. Fast game, endemic cheating so every decision has to be assessed instantly by the ref to decide whether what he thinks he just saw was genuine or acting, every decision being judged by supporters with the benefit of 100 slow mo's from different angles when he gets one shot at it, and even then people don't always agree about which way the decision should have gone after watching it 10 times, laws of the game that are much more about judgement than the black and white rules in most other sports etc etc. I could go on.

I think we are long overdue with the introduction of video refs to back up key decisions and help the ref get it right. But we are also long overdue with implementing laws that give the ref the respect they deserve like only allowing the captain to have any dialogue with the ref.

They never go on the pitch with the intention of having a **** game. They make mistakes. But generally not as many as the players. And we wouldn't have a game without them.