Dazed and confused as a club

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Orsen Kaht, Nov 25, 2015.

1. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: "I don’t have any magic solutions to all this"

10th April 1968, for two weeks.

2. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It isn't mind boggling. It is in answer to a post of Conan Troutman.

You offer no guarantees and you are suggesting the same solution, the one that has failed every time since Danny Wilson mark 1.

Can you really think of no better way of spending another £250k than telling somebody else to go away. We have had 14 managers since Danny Wilson. At £250k a pop, it has cost us £3.5m to tell manager after manager to go away. Was it really £3.5m well spent?

3. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Some interesting, engaging and opposing views here. Very little by way of sniping or having a go (i'm probably being unfair, there isn't really any).

Honourable mentions to O K and RedRain for being articulate, intellingent and forthright in their beliefs, whether i agree or not.

good reading.

4. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    A good open debate with contrasting views.

Over to the powers at the club to do right for the paying supporters

5. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

But how much will relegation cost us, RR? My guess is £1.5M - £2M. The money spent in the past is gone. But it's not too late to change our immediate prospects. No guarantees, of course!

6. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Re: "I don’t have any magic solutions to all this"

Don't get me wrong - I like LJ and he think he has the potential to become a good manager. But he's still learning and we are failing. And no manager in our history has achieved a worse run of league results. So to me, we have to act before it's too late.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We did. Flicker's great escape.

8. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

I'd say he'd have helped us the season after, but I think he would have been out of contract then anyway! The point is really a more general one about whether losing your best players for poor money (such as we seem to have accepted) is fool's gold. If it's a more substantial offer then that of course is different.

9. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    There in lies the rub. Do we gamble and stick with him or do we gamble and sack him. There is no guarentee either path will be successful. Would sacking him change our immediatte prospects, its been seen that a new manager has a short term positive impact or would buying 4 players achieve the same with al ong temr benefit?

whatever the decisions by the powers that be i'm happy we are trying something different, thats very different of course to being happy with the current outcome, something that needs to be recognised when folk talk about keeping LJ.

10. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

While we're all about it, what do we make of this snippet from Patrick:

“With Lee Johnson, I don’t know if he will still be here in a month.”

Admittedly, that's part of a wider passage, but it quite struck me. Does Patrick think "not at all costs"?

11. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    The result and performance against the Blunts will finally tip the scales one way or another.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Exactly that. He wants to back him, but he can only take it so far. I don't have much of a problem with Mr Cryne saying Johnson will be the last manager he ever appoints. It probably wasn't the most well thought out statement he's ever made, but if everything I ever said was recorded and thrown back at me, I'd be making a far bigger arse of myself on a daily basis than what Patrick has for saying that. It's good for taking the piss, but little else. When he said it, I'm sure he meant it, but he wasn't promising Johnson a job for life, he just thought he'd be gone first and he couldn't envisage that we'd implode in the way we have done. To be fair, most people couldn't.

I know the majority want Johnson sacking, but I give credit to Patrick Cryne for not doing so. If results don't pick up, he'll do it, or the board as a whole will make the decision. I'm hoping there is an upturn in form and his patience is proved right. Many people think that won't happen, but they don't know any more than I do, or Patrick Cryne. They may say they do, but none of us know the future.

13. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not completely losing it then! Thanks for that