Debit Card Fraud?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by DusThaNoIII, Jun 22, 2016.

1. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this?

A few nights ago luckily before bed I decided to check my email to see my ebay account had been used to take my bank account to its limit. I immediately phoned ebay to confirm it wasn't me they told me the transactions would be cancelled and I should notify my bank. I called my bank and confirmed they put a block on the transaction, ordered me a new debit card and said they would monitor my account. I called paypal in the morning (they are only open office hours) they confirmed what had happened and that the transaction would be cancelled and I should phone the bank to verify again.

I called the bank and they said though the funds were in the "pending" stage a block had been put on the transaction and it should all be resolved in a couple of days..

Here we are a couple of days later and the money has been allowed to actually LEAVE my account!!!! I called halifax and they said they can temporarily pending investigation put the funds back in my account but they could be taken back if it is proven it was me by ebay.

I am now dubious about everything these parties say and wondered if anyone here could help with what I should do next to ensure I don't have this taken off me in the end? Genuinely shocked that it is this difficult to cancel a clearly fraudulent set of purchases to an address 200 miles from my house when I noticed within 30 minutes of the order being made.

2. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wouldn't stress as in this case you'll get your cash back - provided paypal and ebay play ball and investigate properly.

You aren't on your own with ebay getting hacked.

3. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You mentioned that it went through Paypal so hopefully they will be able to help. This happened to me (with a smaller amount) and Paypal stepped in and sorted it out within a day or so.

4. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I had a text from Barclays yesterday- somebody has been trying to buy things with my credit card - payments to uber and 200 to Tesco - luckily both declined .

5. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Never had a debit card problem but had it a couple of times with Visa credit cards
    One time I was alerted by Barclaycard who were surprised to see me on a spending spree in India - the money for those never left my account
    the other I spotted some strange transactions in my statement after the money had been taken ( online purchases to an Indian Dating site ) there they creditied the money subject to investigation and said they would remove it if they found I was responsible - a few weeks later I got a letter saying case was closed and I had no charges to pay

I think if its as you say you will be fine and they will come back and confirm you wont be charged. Just a bit surprised they released the money after you notified them of the fraud

6. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers everyone! Was pretty nonplussed due to it being so obviously fraud just got a shock when I saw it had actually gone through!

7. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It will probably go through then come straight back. I had similar with 3 top ups for o2 come out of my bank, money went straight back in, card replaced, etc.

8. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you incur any charges e.g. unauthorized overdraft, interest etc. Make sure these are also reimbursed.