Delivery Dispute

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by pontyender, Jul 31, 2017.

1. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can anyone advise or had a similar experience?

I ordered some bedding online and received an email saying it had been dispatched by courier on 14 July. At this stage we weren't given any tracking. A week later we still hadn't received it, so I raised the matter via eBay's resolution procedure. The seller didn't respond for ages and when they did, it was directed to eBay rather than me. At this point they also submitted some tracking (on 26 July) which showed it had been left in a safe place (next to conservatory door) on 18 July. There's no access to our conservatory, so I knew it had been delivered it to the wrong address and told them so. eBay ruled in favour of the seller because of the tracking and refused my claim . I made some enquiries with the neighbours and found out that the parcel had been left at the side of someone's house on Crescent rather than Close (same street name). They had contacted the courier (Hermes) to say it wasn't theirs and it was later collected. I have made numerous enquiries, but the parcel seems to have vanished into thin air. The courier hasn't acknowledged the mistake. The seller continues to ignore. Meanwhile I'm still £50 out of pocket. Where can I go from here?

Tyke Far From Home likes this.
  2. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry I haven't a solution but I have had an issue with Hermes following an EBay purchase. Item was tracked and was delivered to 'local distributor depot' in Sheffield. There was mention of damage and there the tracking ended. I tried to email Hermes customer services but message came back undelivered. I contacted Seller who then contacted Hermes without success. Fortunately seller shipped another one out to me which I received. Don't know if the original item was ever recovered. Hermes customer service is a complete joke.

3. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would inquire whether the dispute resolution procedure can be re-opened due to the new information. Failing that, raise a second dispute. Failing that, you could inform ebay that you will bring a small claim in the county court (online) as they are the seller's agent. And/or, you could advise ebay that if you don't receive satisfaction from them you will raise the matter with newspaper personal finance advisors. (You don't actually have to do the last two, but no reason not to tell them that you are prepared to).

Just some ideas.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Try again to open up a line of communication and if this fails then have a word with Citizens Advice.

Small claims court is always an option. They might stop playing at being stupid if you let them know you intend to take this route.

5. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I imagine that bad reviews and complaints to both the Seller and Hermes are probably your best chance at achieving any results here. I once had to refund a kid £30 for a retro Fred Perry polo that he said hadn't been delivered. He was probably wearing it when he type the complaint and left the bad review. eBay's a nightmare!

6. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I've just had a similar situation.

Ordered some personalised polos for work that didn't come.

I rang my bank and asked for "chargeback". This is where your bank takes back the money from the supplier and gives them a set time to put their case forward.

pontyender likes this.
  7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chargeback is an option but it can take time and the bank don't always rule in your favour.

pontyender likes this.
  8. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Call the Hermes number mate... it's an 0330 number and it goes to an auto service and sounds like the call has ended after the auto has stopped talking. Wait 30 seconds after the auto has stopped talking and it'll put you thru to an adviser who will refund you straight away once they're made aware.

I worked for Hermes years ago. If you have no joy send me a pm as I know a lot of people who still work there.

pontyender likes this.
  9. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hermes are utter shi** i had a delivery one wednesday which happened to be bin day i was'nt in so they left it in the bin then denied ever delivering it
    Luckily my neighbour had cctv

10. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks folks. Lots of ideas there and hopefully I can get somewhere.

11. Gol

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In fairness most people ask for it leaving in the blue bin so that's not really an issue. Even on my rounds now at dpd I get maybe 30 deliveries a day asking for it leaving in a bin.

12. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If the person asks for it leaving in a bin then of course there's no issue. If the person has done no such thing and the driver has just thrown it away then there's a very big issue.

13. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also if you paid by Paypal you can open a dispute with them.

14. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

To add my own Hermes horror story. I ordered a second wedding dress for the evening reception and Hermes delivered it. I knew it had supposedly arrived somewhere as tracking showed it as delivered but I had no idea where it was. I had no calling card, it wasn't on a door step, in the electric meter cupboard at the side of the house where deliveries are often left, with upstairs neighbours, with next door neighbours or anywhere else we could think to check. Phone lines were shut until next day and then they just said it had been delivered and that was that. Meanwhile, I was one wedding dress down. Later that day, my husband found it behind the garage (behind our garage is not in a place where you would immediately think to look) and because it had been heavily raining all night the box it was in was completely soaked and ripped open and woodlice were crawling all in and out of it. Luckily, the dress itself was wrapped in fully sealed plastic but I was not a happy girl that day! Just a simple calling card to give us a hint would have done.

15. Gol

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understand your point, but your point is wrong. Most logistics companies choose the blue bin as a safe place. It's on most companies scanners as a safe place so the courier putting it in the bin isn't actually down as 'doing something wrong'. Only 22% of parcels sent are sent via 'signature required' which means leaving it in the bin is fine with MOST companies.

16. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not saying you're wrong that that is the case but I still think it's a very big issue. They are literally throwing your package in a bin. How can that be a 'safe place'? (unless someone has specifically told you to place it there as obviously they are not then going to empty it). I understand it is their policy, I just think the policy is stupid.

17. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    We have a lot of stuff delivered and is often left in the blue bin whichis generally fine the problem is on a few occasions no card put through to let us know this is the case. I assume this s often because the drivers are in such rush.

18. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which is the blue bin? We don't have one here. We have a black 'general rubbish' bin, a brown 'garden waste' bin and a green 'recycling' bin which takes all recycling except glass that we need to dispose of elsewhere.

19. Gol

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That from Hermes Mate? Hermes aren't too rushed really... they're just ***** couriers. Infact they're not couriers... they're awful. They're lazy and have no understanding of the job.

At dpd we have a strict way of doing things. When something is left safe you ha e to take a photo of where you left it, the card that you posted and the customers house. That's the difference between standards. DPD are excellent, along with parcelforce and UK Mail. However, Amazon, Hermes and yodel are what we call 'mummy couriers'. By that we mean they're just mum's who deliver a few parcels in the morning after they take their kids to school. They have no training, correct insurance for their vehicles or uniform and id cards.

Poor company.

Googs likes this.
  20. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Worked well for me. Money was back in my account within 24 hours.

Wish I'd visited trustpilot prior to ordering with them. It's littered with similar stories of stuff not arriving and problems with refunds.

Not many know about chargeback service though. I'd never heard of it prior to this occasion.