Derby County Selling Oakwell Tickets

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by dreamboy3000, Oct 18, 2021.

1. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Redhelen likes this.
  2. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Which makes the closure of the West Stand completely understandably on a business level.

But they should have done it in the summer - or at least been up front about the reasons.

We all know after covid, money is tight in all businesses - if they’d had said that, it might have gone down a little better.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not sure it would name me one other club who have closed a stand displacing many long term fans purely for financial reasons.

Reading had a less than half full ground last week but all 4 sides were open for example including splitting the south stand into home and away though admittedly they wouldn’t have sold more away tickets if the stand was not split. They did seem to have enough stewards though so surely they could have saved some money by not sitting the south stand and closing one of the 2 side stands
    They didn’t though

Barnsley seem to be engaged in a sweating the assets approach but will pay for it in lost season tickets and match day tickets and customer good will.

4. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

TBF mate, that’s a shocking example to use

If anything, with Reading’s financial nightmares, it simply goes to show how bad they are then - keeping a full stadium open just for 50% sales. Says it all dread to think how much they lose every home game then - fair sized stadium they have.

Cryne closed the other half of the West Stand for the same reason - wasting money. The current board essentially have closed the gates in full.

I’m a season ticket holder in the West, have been for years. I’m gutted - but more over the timing and communication about it. If they had done it in the summer, given solid financial/operational reasons behind it, then most would have accepted it. That’s where they’ve let us down. Was the lack of a CEO in the summer to blame? Although I’m pretty sure Conway etc could have called it too……

5. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am also a west stander who is well & truly gutted , I have thought of one thing that they could do & that make all seats for season ticket holders in the Ponty the East stands unreserved seating & then its a level playing field for all our fans, I know this would not be popular but at least it would be fair, you turn up & sit in the seats available on the first come first pick system like we have done at some away venues , fans would turn up earlier thus promoting inner ground sales etc on food & drink , its just an idea however the perfect solution would be to admit they got it wrong & give us our seats back in the West

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They'd lose about 5000 fans instantly if they did that if not more like 7 or 8000

Shepley Red likes this.
  7. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But it doesn't make any sense from a ticketing point of view because I means that there simply aren't enough seats available in pairs to attract paying customers. In an ideal world every seat would be full but in a realistic world the club, and most clubs, have to accept that there will be empty seats. In fact they need a certain amount of empty seats available in order to be attractive to the high paying pay on the day fans. Closing the west stand has made this impossible, even displaced season ticket holders have been unable to find pairs of tickets together so if they can't then that means there aren't any for pay on the day fans so how do we attract anyone new if nobody can sit together?

8. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a awful idea that would piss off way more people than the west stand problems have. The solution to the west stand problem isn't to add to the problem in the other two home ends. Just like if the Ponty or east stand had to close people shouldn't expect the west stand to all of a sudden become unreserved.

9. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Dont remember Cryne displacing a load of Season ticket holders into inferior seating mid way through the season though
    And for the few Season Ticket holders in the 2 blocks near the away end there were plenty of seats they could move to so they could move with their mates to similar seats not filling in singles by the corner flags

10. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I don't get this, lack of/expense of, stewards argument. Surely if we pack the away end u need equal amount of, if not more than, the number who would have been guarding the octogenarians in the west stand anyway, and I'm pretty sure a steward is on minimum wage or thereabouts?

11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The octogenarian comment is uncalled for and totally disrespectful. They aren't ALL in their 80s you know, some of them are only 79

Shepley Red and Barnsley Chopin like this.
  12. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    its not I'm still under 60 and pay full price for my ticket. The lady next to me isnt in her 80's either and her 2 grandkids certainly arent

SuperTyke likes this.
  13. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I know, I was using an oft used stereotype for comedic effect.....yes I know u know that ;), After East stand upper, it's my seat of choice and although I'm closer to being octogenarian than teenager, I'm still some way off yet.

14. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree however the club could have done a lot more - I bet a lot of the East stand and Ponty fans would have been happy for their group to move along one seat where there were singles to at least convert a lot of singles into pairs if they had been asked and the reason explained - but that would have involved planning and communication and all sorts of other tricky things far easier to just ask the fans to fend for themselves

15. gla

glavintoby Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pair of complete Shisters running our club

16. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Shhhhh you lot don't count.

The three fans I know aren't that old either but that's not the point. You're all ancient. The only mystery is why biglil hasn't got a season ticket in the west.

17. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Running or ruining?

Farnham_Red likes this.
  18. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    No mystery now

19. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Weststanders are certainly the least rowdy/most civilized element of the crowd tho? Redeemed meself?

20. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely. They could have put out something on social media, official website and sent through a mass email system seeing if anyone would be open to moving to another seat for west stand people.

Instead they haven't.