Derby latest club charged by the EFL for breaking financial rules

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Wilmersdorfer Winky, Jan 16, 2020.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don’t think time in Premier is included sure it is separate as it is nothing to do with the EFL.
    I seem to recall QPR went up and had broken the EFL rules but couldn’t be touched until relegated.

2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    all this as RR's previous analysis illustrated. thank goodness our board, which includes one paul Conway, haven't succumbed to the cheating ways of the others.
    we can hold our head up high in these matters.

4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fulham and Cardiff spent season 2018/19 in the Premier League, but my notes relate to 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18, when they were both Championship clubs, and now that they are back in the Championship, I assumed they were fair game. Wolves lost £55m in their final season in the Championship, but the EFL must wait until they are relegated to do anything about it.

5. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah my mistake that.
    If I’ve read it right relegated clubs aren’t subject to it for the first year if they complied with PL.
    Which if correct could mean both Fulham and Cardiff could have problems next year.

6. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just going back to QPR, were they allowed to pay the £20 million in installments and was a transfer embargo applied to them at any point?

7. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry, but I do not know the detail.

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  8. Ged

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries RR, im just kind of putting fuel onto the EFL being weak fire. Imho the rules are more "guidelines" with lots of wiggle room and if clubs say "yea ok we owe" but we will pay it back at a rate we are comfortable with, that will not compromise our position in the league we are in, also we will continue to buy, sell and loan players, to the detriment of the other clubs.

9. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The EFL pays all clubs in the Championship £6m per year for their share of TV money, so my guess is that they could hold on to that for 4 years, but who knows.

The difficulty is that the EFL is made up of all the clubs. The EFL cannot do anything unless the majority of clubs want it that way. The Championship is out of control because the majority of clubs want it that way. There are obvious ways to control overspending better than the current FFP rule book, but if the majority of clubs want limited control, then that is what happens. It is not the level financial playing field that would ensure that on the field competition is also fair, but that is the harsh environment that our club faces when it plays in The Championship. It needs several clubs to go bang before everyone will realise that buying your way to the Premier League does not make sense, especially when everyone is doing it, but until then, I am not hopeful.

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  10. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Do you think even that would make much difference? One reads about people going bankrupt with gambling debts all the time but the bookies still do a roaring trade. And that's often people's actual livelihoods at stake - if a rich owner buys a club as a plaything and gambles on promotion then they're generally not exposing themselves to anything like that level of personal risk and if the club goes under then hey ho, never mind. Like you, I'm not hopeful.

11. Ged

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on. I was enraged to see that Bolton were "let off" (and not that it would make any difference), when they failed to field a team (twice) at the back end of the season, this should be an automatic 6 point deduction. Rules are just not rules, like you say, i guess the other championship clubs need to vote on the whole thing. The only reason they are not prepared to vote on doing it properly, is because they are ALL doing something a little bit dodgy.

12. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think what Wednesday has been accused of is more about dishonesty and dare I say fraudulant. Theyve over estimated the value of the stadium theyve sold back to themselves by quite an alarming amount (around about the amount they needed to comply with FFP actually) and then added that amount to the previous 12 months accounts (which were very late in being published). This smacks of dodgy dealing and I dare say illegal accounting and with the new EFL chairman being Rick Parry (an ex account) i can see them facing more scrutiny than just selling their stadium to themselves like a few other clubs have done.

13. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I wouldn’t hold my breath tbh.
    The Majority of Championship clubs owners are chasing the dream and the prospect of teams leaving EFL and forming PL2 is a very real threat.
    Rick Parry will have this pressure to consider as well as the ffp rules .
    That’s why there’s an alleged independent body and why the judgement on Bolton was imo very lenient , with the EFL making the obligatory appeal against a body that they formed in the first place says everything you need to know about the rules and how they implement them .
    Clubs as Bury etc will feel the full force Bolton on the other hand ?

14. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All a bit dodge pot innit. Makes you wonder if they know the EFL is toothless, why they go to these lengths to hide it in the first place really.

15. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It is dodge pot imo and Derby have this week accused the EFL of wrongful accusations about their stadium sales and player wages etc . the EFL will be as a Rich Tea Biscuit dunked in hot tea .

16. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wednesday actually extended their year to 14 months to give them the time to construct the whole dodgy facade. It is as bent as a dog's hind leg.

The Championship is the wild west of football. It is dishonest from top to bottom. It was not always that way. It is the lure of the Premier League that drives the dishonesty, but it is not like the need to spend money ends with promotion, is it. After promotion, clubs have to spend huge amounts to stay there, otherwise they face the drop back into the shark infested waters of the Championship, where the parachute payments are eaten up by the contracts of the players you bought in the Premier League, and who you struggle to move on because they are on such a good thing where they are. Football is not the game it was when I first started watching. Ultimately, no-one benefits from all that SKY money except the players. And yet I read loads of stuff on the BBS that tells me that the club has to stay in the Championship. It has to have a second crack at the Premier League, and I think, is it all worth the risk of swimming with the sharks that also swim in those waters.