Did Maurice Watkins say...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by twillo, May 24, 2017.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I actually think this is less important nowadays because of the giant payments for international and domestic PL TV rights. Swansea and Bournemouth don't have huge grounds and have survived to varying degrees of comfort.

And as a measure, Champions League semi finalists, Monaco have the lowest average attendance in Ligue 1 this year of 9,586 (around half their ground capacity). So in some ways, we're a bigger club than Monaco! ;-)

2. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks DAN. A few more for the list it's building up nicely now.
    Looks to be more Weaknesses and Threats than Strengths and Opportunities at the moment which aligns
    with some of the points I listed in 92/93 . The next stage of the ground development and the year in the Prem had not happened when I wrote the "application". In my submission I made the point that to stand any chance of progressing on all fronts we had to get to the Premiership.
    Thinking back at the time I wrote it there seemed little chance of achieving that aim.
    Remember the manager ( in John Dennis's piece in WSB he described as cautious) Not wrong there played a flat back ten.
    One year our end of season video was called " 100 great throw ins". !!
    And then came Viv and Danny and then Danny on his own who achieved what I had said needed to happen.

3. BobT

BobT Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If that is the case we do not want them. If they only see a deal as attractive with the land, I do not think that they would have the clubs real interests at heart.

4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes we are surrounded by other football clubs.
    And the important point about that is that for decades we have let those clubs dominate the football supporting scene within the Barnsley District.

As a club Barnsley has consistently shown that we consider ourselves the inferior club eg Hirst, Howard, Winnall etc etc.
    That is the prime reason so many Barnsley people are turned off by their own town club. As a consequence they then go to watch other nearby clubs.

Only during a short time under the stewardship of John Dennis have we been able to compete.

As a club we must break that mould.

To do that we need someone to prime the pump - unfortunately Patrick hasn't the funds available to do that.

The Barnsley District is a footballing town - that is to say there are thousands upon thousands of football fans that rarely are seen at Oakwell - put this together with the fact that the club would be relatively cheap to buy - and the club would be a great acquisition for someone, or an organisation, to get into English football.

5. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a value judgement, I'm just saying what it looks like to someone who isn't a Barnsley fan with money to burn.

6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What value does the land add? It's worth bugger all compared to the TV money for one season in the PL. Plus parachute payments.

shed131 likes this.
  7. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've done plenty of strategic swots in my business consultancy past, and the most effective strategies are to run against the herd, not with it. It's not always popular, and it's not always easy, but if you want to buck a trend and do something you really have no right to do considering the competition, do it different has to be the mantra.

Ok... here's my thoughts. Not shaped, just splurging diatribe as I feel it.

Barnsley is unfashionable and has its problems. I've shared before the Barnsley mentality of defeating themselves til they get a uniting factor to then surpass any reasonable expectation moreso than any other club out there.

Its that last part that has to be instilled in players, staff, and everything surrounding the club. A fortress in every sense. Money doesn't buy attitude. It's our biggest weapon we have. But the fans need to realise their part and beat themselves less. We sang all game every game in the premiership, at 6-0 down at West Ham, we may have lost plenty, and heavily, but we were never beaten.

A few years ago I went to see Inter in the San Siro and the difference in how fans played their part was huge. Banners, messages unfurled, hero worship, a ritual. Walls of noise despite the ground not being filled.

Oakwell isn't the san siro, obviously, but the fans can make it a place teams just don't want to be in. Players are human. Hostile through passion, spirit and volume. Not nasty and hate filled, but euphoric, uplifting and supporting. To try and elevate our players and stunt the weaker minded opponents.

That would take a huge mindset change on the part of the fans and a link from club to fans to create that. The banner for Patrick was one show of what fans can do when their mindset is right. So why cant we get the fans to make that happen every week? Pick a hero. Lift them. Make them believe in the club. Make them loved like nowhere else.

Its a weapon that could tug on heartstrings, and though would commonly be unsuccessful, it may happen a few times. It worked with Hammill.

We have to be better than our opponents in every way that doesn't involve money.

The strategy is hungry players. Well lets be the hungriest most determined most passionate fans in the league and make it visible and audible.

How is a different matter, but that is the unique strategic advantage we have, our blood. Blood cells are red and white for a reason.

What's more, I'd go further into the business community. How can Barnsley make businesses better. How can businesses help the club more? Look at local suppliers, local producers. Food, signs, maintenance, creative, digital, everything. Look at how the spaces could help businesses, trade shows, festivals, markets. Look at reciprocal trade that doesn't cost, but presents opportunities to grow and to tie to the club. Contra time, engage businesses to share ideas.

Tournaments, we have so many pitches. Look at kids playing their tournaments on the training pitches out of season and maybe a final at Oakwell, get the kids excited, inspire them to want to wear red and white. That Oakwell is their pinnacle from a young age they may one day reach.

If our scope to increase revenue is limited at this time, lets use everything else we have. Time is universal. ideas are universal. Dovetailed with the spirit in our DNA. All of these things are free.

8. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Leverage against future funding. Without the land assets you're asking an individual to pay £millions for a business with no assets other than the value of the squads contracts/resale value, and then spend additional money with the aim of acquiring future increased income from the Premier League.

Therein lies the issue - how much would it cost to 'guarantee' that season in the Prem ?

This is in no means a defence of selling players for less than market value and knackering a season up as per January, but other than making our apparent business model of increasing players value and selling them on to grow income and strengthen the team longer term work a whole lot better than it has this season then I don't see a viable alternative.

9. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If someone came to the Cryne's with a plan for the club then i'd imagine the land could go with the club.

Plus what do Leeds own? Do they own their own ground and Training facilities?

People that to me don't want to see the club progress seem to use this as a excuse to why the club won't move forward.

10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes, Cellino bought them back.

11. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly.
    Why the hell are people on here talking about the land?
    It's ridiculous.
    No one - no one !!! - is going to buy Barnsley just so they can sell the land.
    Patrick Cryne will ensure that.
    Have faith in PC.
    The land price is peanuts in comparison to the money involved to run the club as a force in the Championship.

12. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    £100 million reward for one season in the Premier League.

13. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd suggest that no club gets enough supporters now to sustain Premier League football and it is rather the TV Money that does so.

14. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The big change from when you did your analysis to now is the amount of money available for just one season in the Premier League.

The rest of it is almost irrelevant now although I'd suggest we are no less glamorous than say Swansea City. And I'm convinced we'd get towards 25k in crowds should we be in the Prem, notwithstanding ground capacity of course!

As I've posted separately, attendances are somewhat irrelevant now given the size of the prize. See Bournemouth

15. Glo

GloucesterRedsBigBro Well-Known Member

Retired Bus Driver
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We sold out every home match last time in the Prem, shame the home capacity was only 16,000ish.

16. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is that latter part actually part of the plan?

17. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd hope so

18. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's the strengthen the team part I wonder about.

19. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

As I say, Jan was a disaster but we can't extrapolate that into more than it was imho, a blip along the road.

Heckingbottom has made it plain we need to learn from it, and so we should.

20. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with points raised. If you had a lot of money that you could invest Nudger and you got your family to agree,
    what would you do to "prime the pump".? Would you be prepared to risk losing your money why would you want to get into English football.?
    In the Premiership season we got just overeighteen thousand every game and for our two trips to Wembley we took well over twenty thousand to each game. With planning permission re- car park near Metrodome, car park behind Ponte end,
    Academy complex/Queens ground and Oakwell itself wer'e worth a tidy sum. We are probably asset rich but not cash rich.
    As DAN says a lot of foreign owners use clubs for "tax efficiency" purposes. These business people don't go into it wearing rose tinted's. Every successful one I've ever met and I've met a few very wealthy guys is interested in one thing and one thing
    only Profit and the protection of it, otherwise there's no point in taking the risk(s).

Agreed someone might want to buy a Club to be artistic with their taxes but the question remains " why buy Barnsley FC".?
    Not wanting to be negative cos I want us to succeed and not having seen the latest balance sheet I honestly can't think of many positives that would want me to buy it although I would consider investing in some shares if the buy out option became a reality cos I genuinely love my Club.
    DAN also makes a good point over local sponsorships. We could have a thrift scheme with local businesses whereby the punter gets a small discount with a Barnsley FC Loyalty card and the club gets a commission based on overallsales.
    I Believe that was tried with Barnsley Building Society. I know Argos operate such a scheme cos I used it to buy a TV once.
    A link up with local filling stations could also be done. The parent Major oil company could be contacted to see if for using their fuel fans could get coupons to exchange against discounts on season tickets or match day tickets etc.
    Profits on petrol and diesel are limited due to HM taxes but for increased turnover I feel sure they would be interested and again the Club might get a few bob in return.