Did Maurice Watkins say...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by twillo, May 24, 2017.

1. Bre

BreweryStander Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As far as I'm aware it's on the part of the Academy where the old Co-op sports ground used to be located. so that might incorporate part of the North Stand.

2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The aim seems to be spend as little as possible and stuff any excess income under the mattress.

This might help secure the long term stability of the club but it will lead to failure on the pitch in the short to medium term. Hecky can only perform so many miracles.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wouldn't say any of the clubs were "huge" before their current owners took over.

Bournemouth are the holy grail for me. We have more potential than they had five years ago and no one will convince me otherwise. In 2017 all clubs need an owner with the brass and balls to take a risk and anything is possible. We have neither. That's not a dig at Patrick as such but the club seems to be hiding behind the risk averse strategy and painting this as the right way to do things.

4. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Not to my knowledge, but under a previous ownership when development of the surrounding land was being explored, a senior figure told me that BMBC at that time would not allow any development that wasn't 'sympathetic' to football activities at Oakwell.

Whether that applies today I don't know.

5. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If memory serves me right the old queens ground was given to the football club/ council on the grounds that as long as it is used for sporting activities the land remains under the stewardship of the club / council ...should this fail to be so the land then reverts back to the original owners....basically the football club lease that part of the ground the academy and pitches are on. I might be wrong and things may have changed over the years but that's how I understood it when oakwell was developed. ...the Queens Road car park used to be owned by Yorkshire Traction but that' company as changed hands many times and no longer exsists. ...I think the club own the pontefract Rd car park and actual area the ground stands on along with its partners the council ...Grove st site..prime building land for houses...should the owners decide to sell ....unfortunately the Queens ground area isn't.