Discuss: would Villa be a good move for Hourihane or Bree?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Johnny the tyke, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Joh

Johnny the tyke Well-Known Member

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Look lets be real, if you another employer contacted you and offered life changing bumper pay increase you would be foolish not to consider it! But it all depends on you, what drives you, your career goals and aspirations short and long term, the effect on family and home life, the bigger picture. Also are you satisfied being a big fish in a small pond? and vice versa could you cope with being small fish in a big pond?

Connor Hourihane is currently a big fish in a small pond! He appears to be happy and settled, the current captain of Barnsley FC and lead us out at Wembley twice last season, a key player in a small squad, regularly features in starting XI in the Championship, he is first choice on set plays (both corners and free kicks), also if we ever get one our penalty taker (or was at least last season), and add to that he was recently called up to Irish squad.
    Would a move to Villa be a good one for CH? If interest in CH was from the premier league (e.g. Burnley) or even top 6 championship side (hate to say it even Scum or Pigs) it would be hard to say no. But a move to Aston Villa. Yes it would offer financial gain short term, to a team with a bigger fan base, but lets face they are not a premier league side anymore they are in a period of transition having recently been relegated from the Premier League, currently below us in they are table, a big squad of players all on big wages, huge financial pressure on the club finances if they don't get back to the premier league in the next 3 seasons when parachute payments dry up, CH would become a small fish in a big pond, it is unlikely he will be given the captains arm band, no longer first choice on set plays/penalties or guaranteed to play ever game if fit, and fighting for place in the team against experienced internationals and very talented youth players (Jedinak, Lansbury, Westwood, Grealish, Gardner, Tshibola, Gil, Sanchez, Veretout). In recent years Hammill, O'Grady, Butterfield, Craig Davies, Wabara, and even Vaz Te all moved for to name just a few made the moves to so called bigger clubs and in my opinion their careers stutted because of it.

Same said for any of our current crop of players. If rumours are true and Villa want James Bree, short term is he really going to be ahead of likes of Hutton, Richards, Westwood, Bacuna or De Laet all who can play there. Another talent who could risk his development and regular football in exchange for reserve football and a loan move.

I am very happy to support a club that has a reputation developing players. I accept in the main that this has been part of our business model. But we are now in the top half of the championship and due to recent players sales should have some money available if only a modest sum to enable us to retain key players and kick on.

I wonder if Sam Morsy may regret his decision to stay at Wigan for the money a team who didn't want him, when he is playing in L1 next year.

Discuss.

2. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  3. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apart from the financial aspect, short term it is a terrible move. However, if both Barnsley and Villa are in the Championship next season, I'd be quite surprised if we finished above them. Lansbury and Hourihane in midfield and it would be hard to look past them for the title. However, if he stays with us until the end of this season, he's pretty much guaranteed to be playing in the Premier League next season. Either with us, or whoever he moves to. Go to Villa, and he'll almost certainly be in the second tier again. Football-wise, the decision is clear. But then there's the financial aspect.......

4. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I think it could be a good move for Bree, a stepping stone move, which makes it vital we get a good sell on clause if he does go.

Hourihane is totally different. If he moves to Villa, his only shot at premier league football is if they get promoted pretty much straight away, i don't think its going to happen, they are in a mess, only propped up by parachute payments, and chucking money at it doesn't always work.

5. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bad move for Hourihane football-wise in my opinion. Even with Steve Bruce at the helm they appear to be far from settled and their squad seems full of overhyped, prima-donna players who are essentially very average. He would be financially better off and of course there would be a certain kudos being an Aston Villa player, but unless they catapult themselves into the top 6 this year or smash the league up next season, there's little guarantee Connor would be a Premiership player anytime soon. Plus I think he may get a little lost amongst the many other midfielders they have. He may be seen as an option for them, rather than THE option for us or another club. I see him more at a WBA or Sunderland, as uninspiring as even that may seem to some. I think for Hourihane, it should be a move to the Premiership, he's good enough and ready.

James Bree situation is different in my opinion. I think Villa would be a decent place for him to shine and take the next step towards what will surely be a Premiership career. He could develop there rather than being bought by a Prem side and sat in the reserves for a year or two.

6. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Great stadium as well, probably my favourite in England (after Oakwell of course).

7. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Poor for Hourihane. Good for Bree.

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chance to work with Bruce. More media interest will probably push him into the Ireland team. Not sure it's as straightforward as saying it's a bad move.

Bree better to go to a big club with a years loan back to us.

9. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that Villas chances of getting out of this league will be much improved with Hourihane in their midfield. They're not always going to be below us in the league.

It's an opportunity for him to get to the highest level with them or through them, and with the money he's going to be on, it's hardly a gamble for him.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

10. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Money wise short term....yes.
    Career wise long term .....no.

11. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

I honestly believe any move for Conor this month is a bad thing he's better off waiting until the summer.

As for Bree if Southampton are really interested in him that's the right club for him in my opinion.

12. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

I honestly believe any move for Conor this month is a bad thing he's better off waiting until the summer.

As for Bree if Southampton are really interested in him that's the right club for him in my opinion.

13. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Villa will get promoted next year if they don't this, Steve Bruce isn't daft at this level. However If I were CH and not a Barnsley fan I'd actually think I could do better footballing wise and probably wages wise in the summer if not right now.

If short term cash is everything then that's a different matter entirely.

James Bree should look at mason holgates career and try to do something similar imo, go to a prem team if one is buying and improve further

14. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Conor will play for Ireland as soon as he leaves us. O'Neill hates us.

15. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you actually got any basis for saying that or you're just speculating? I've never had any reason to assume he does, that's all. And even if he did, would that really stop him from selecting a player if he felt the player was worthy of selection? I very much doubt it. It would be completely unprofessional.