Do we need more experience in the management team?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Ex Bournemouth Red, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Ex Bournemouth Red

Ex Bournemouth Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not knocking PH one bit, I think he's a fantastic coach and the proof is in how he has developed players, both at youth level then first team level, however, his he as tactically adept as what we need.

When he first took over and until the January transfer window last season the team practically picked itself. Since then we've chopped and changed and even got to the point of putting square pegs in round holes.

Also, apart from Wednesday and Norwich recently, how many other times have we picked up points coming from behind? Not many i'd hazard to guess, although I may be wrong. Does this mean that if plan A is failing we don't have a good enough plan B?

Could he do with someone more experienced who may be more tactically astute to help out and lend a hand/tutor him?

As for the midfield conundrum, I appreciate that the plan/model highlights the player, but surely PH has the final say?

It appears his preference would be for 442 but we haven't the midfield personnel to play this way, which is surprising given the plethora of midfielder signed in the transfer window.

We were after McGeehan back in January - was he supposed to be the replacement for Conor?

Is Williams or Gardener the replacement for Scowen?

What is stopping us trying 442 with Williams at the side of McGeehan?

2. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We aren’t allowed any experience in the squad or on the pitch, let alone in the dugout.

It wouldn’t hurt, but I don’t think our problems lie in the manager and his lack of experience.

He will keep trying to make silk purses from sows ears but eventually all he’ll be able to fashion is a dog chew.

He’s got plenty wrong tactically and in selection recently - but with the lack of basic ability shown by pretty much all the players in the last three games I doubt it would have made much difference.

I was embarrassed that we were on national tv Saturday, not one player put their hand up and dug in.

The team is crying out for some leadership and experience as well as quality.

Moulding all these kids into a side is a cracking business plan until you end up with a side on a poor run and with a crisis of confidence, as you have nobody in the squad to trust in and rely on to drag them all through it with guile and knowhow.

We need to look at ‘the plan’ and tweak it so that players who have the core requirements according to the spreadsheet get a better opportunity to prove their worth, learning alongside some more battle hardened pros.

It’s going to be a long run to January - and even then we need to speculate properly.

Kettlewell and sitting bull like this.
  3. Ex Bournemouth Red

Ex Bournemouth Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I appreciate what you say, Gardener was supposed to be that experienced pro that we needed- experienced in the Prem and for big games, I personally thought that his experience and know how would enable us to play 2 in midfield.

But look at how that has turned out. Everyone is now saying he isn't worth a start. Is it because he is on loan? Would his attitude/commitment be any different if we'd signed him permanently?

Which begs the question, how do we get the experienced players we need that will be willing to put in a decent shift, but won't break the wage bill/structure?

4. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gardner is only twenty five himself, and has made barely a hundred league appearances over seven seasons. At a higher level perhaps - but there are players with a lot more games than him under their belts in the squad.

In answer to the question posed, perhaps the wage structure will have to be looked at. We’ve forked out 5-6 million on these lads over the summer and they’ll be worth next to sod all if we go down. Spending a few quid on a six month loan/free signing of a wiley old sod would be great. There will be someone around who’s not playing who would relish a young dressing room to influence

5. Glo

GloucesterRedsBigBro Well-Known Member

Retired Bus Driver
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we went into the international break on a good run came out of it with a great pont at Norwich, then 5 changes for next match then 4 then 2, admitted some were forced. Time to gel is mentioned a lot but how can any team gel with so many changes every match?

6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Couldn't hurt but what we really need is quality on the pitch. It was always a big ask to get everyone to step up to the championship at the same time.

7. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How often does he put square pegs in round holes? I’ve not really seen that.

Williams has been the Scowen replacement.

It’s better players we need or these young players to improve quickly